X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How lucky are we?

Hi there all my wonderful friends,

I've been thinking about life, death and alcohol again...lol

I've been thinking lately about how grateful I can be for what I have had to go through fighting this addiction of mine. Think about it.

There are those that are still drinking and don't know how great it is to be sober.. and then there are those people who don't drink who also don't know how wonderful it is to be sober - they just take it for granted.

Do they appreciate life and all it has to offer like I (we) do?? How can they? they have never had to struggle to live a normal life like me (us). When "normal" people moan and groan about what a hard day they are having, I have no sympathy! None at all! They are totally clueless!

Every day I wake up! what a buzz!! i am breathing!!! I am eating, sleeping, talking, meeting people and living!!!! wow. it's a wonderful thing.

Damn, I'm lucky.

:h
    It always seems impossible until it's done....

How lucky are we?

Yeah flip
    Life is a wonderful thing.
    And how exciting it is to be at this new begining, this point of change.
    It just keeps on getting better and better.

Best wishes
    Changeling (day 44AF)

Comment

How lucky are we?

Gratefulness

Well said, Flip.

I hope I never take this new life of sobriety for granted. I usually wake quite early and enjoy walking out and viewing the pre-dawn sky and stars. I look to the east, focus on a star, and say out loud, ?Thank you.? It seems to start the day in a good way.

Capto
      (70 days AF)

Comment

How lucky are we?

Flip,

I was/am having those same thoughts today. very happy for you.
        Thanks for sharing!!!
        Control the Mind

Comment

How lucky are we?

Here is something for your encouragement.

After a while, if you are committed to your own personal growth, expansion, and maturation. If you are truly committed to taking full responsibility for your own clarity and actions. Those things that are the hallmarks of sobriety.

You will soon know a freedom, that most folks I believe will not know in their lives. This is a freedom that grows just a tiny bit every day. It comes from being in the prison hellhole of the drinker for so long, and suffering so long. Some philosopher once said, "You cannot get to heaven, unless you first go through hell."

Might have been Nietzesche, but I don't know for sure.

Neil

(421 days AF)

Comment

How lucky are we?

You are all so right - things that we treasure because of our sobriety other people take for granted. I still wake up every morning in awe of the world around me.

Switching gears slightly, I almost started a thread yesterday similar to this one, but of a more light-hearted nature. As many of you are probably sick of hearing, I enjoy physical activity, and thought it would be interesting to see not only how much money I have saved since going AF, but also how many approximate calories. So, without further ado, AA's own personal calulators based on 25 days AF:

Calorie Tracker -- 2,400 per week, for a total of roughly 8,500.
            Money Tracker
            -- $100 per week, for a total of roughly $350 (includes booze, food, and any other crap I thought I needed while drinking)

So, I come out of this with my sanity intact, my waistline a little smaller, and my pockets a little fuller! Ain't AF grand!
            Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

How lucky are we?

Starting out today recieved book today and start recovery again today

Comment

How lucky are we?

AA members are often counseled by their sponsors to make a "gratitude list" whenever they are feeling out of sorts... and gratitude is a common topic at meetings. It's hard to feel bad when you focus on how much you have to be grateful for.

And whether it was Nietzesche or someone else who said it, I agree with the quote about heaven and hell. That's not to say that non-drinking "normal" people don't face some kind of extreme crisis that forces them to do the same kind of work that brings them to this point in their lives; they very well might. But many don't, or at least they don't do the work until later in life. Somehow they just don't "get it."

In any event, I have to recognize first that I am better off than 95% of the world's population... I have good, safe drinking water, I have secure, comfortable housing, I have access to good health care, I don't live in the middle of a war zone, etc etc. Add to that the fact that I have been able to stop killing myself with alcohol and start recovering from alcoholism -- WHAT MORE COULD I ASK FOR? I mean seriously, I've been blessed beyond belief.

Oh -- and I don't know about calories, but I just figured out that I've saved just over $1500 since I stopped drinking 137 days ago! (OK now I think I should start putting my booze money into a savings account, so I can actually SEE the results....)

Thanks, all, for getting my day started on such a positive note!~

Mike

P.S. Welcome, Tom! Just wanted to say hello and glad you are here!
                "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

How lucky are we?

I have put it in a savings acount, day 28, savings----$$803.00
                  It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.
                  James Gordon, M.D.

Comment

How lucky are we?

Thanks for starting such a positive thread! I needed it this morning....
                    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

How lucky are we?

Mornin' all.....thanks Flip...I have been a half empty glass for the first few weeks of AF and am slowly getting the melonbrain to count the blessings instead of wailing about the supposed calamities...Going to a hypnotherapists next week to get the messages more firmly planted, so I'm looking forward to that!

I haven't saved a bean since going AF...I have spent it on lovely herbal supps, massages and treats that I always used to deny myself because of pouring all my excess cash into the booze account!
                      But have saved about 4 squillion calories....I now have a non bloaty face, a stomach that doesn't feel like a pit from hell, and muscles on the arms that would put Arnie to shame...I read the post from Aathlete and neil about alcohol destroying muscle mass yesterday, and realised that my whole body has really become more toned and taut since dropping the vino...maybe I can just see them better now without the layer of toxin soaked fluid swimming over the top of them!!

Hi Tom....welcome to the site...keep trying my friend, the effort WILL pay off, and it is ALWAYS worth it..
                      And a hug for Lusheroo....bit down this morning???? Hope that clouds clear by lunchtime Missus:h

Weeripplingmelon .............57 days AF YIIIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Comment

How lucky are we?

yeah weemelon - 57 days!!!!! HURRAH!!!!! way to go

Comment

How lucky are we?

Don't know what made me come here tonight. I have to say that reading all your posts are truly inspiring. Thank you. I hope to one day get to where you all are. It sounds like a wonderful place. I am getting there...day by day.

Beaches
                          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Working...
                          X