Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Thread April 16 - April 22, 2012

Good Morning Everyone,

Just a quick stop in for me to get this thread started. Went to a really good meeting yesterday -- even gave someone the MWO website information.

I'll stop in later........hope you all are doing well.

xx,
    UN

Whew! I've had a busy few days! I did get to meetings throughout the weekend & last night. There was a lot of discussion about resentment, probably because it's the 4th month, corresponding w/the 4th step. I've been working on my resentments in terms of letting them go. I don't have a lot of them, but I do have a few that are hanging on. I must remember that I have to let go of the resentment. I don't have to invite the person over for dinner every Sunday or be his best friend. I just have to let go & let God. Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Following a shocking few days and a very messed up head, I have decided to give AA another shot, so going tomorrow night to a local meet with a friend who's been going for 12 years
      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Pingu, I've been following your other thread and posted there. I didn't want to go to AA either, but am finding that it's helping me a lot! I'll try to post more when my wrist gets better -- I think I have carpal tunnel or something similar. Please let us know how it goes.

Mary, I posted about resentments on our last thread......I don't dwell on them but they rear their ugly head now and then..........I don't think any of mine will make me drink, but it's good to be aware and discuss them now and then.

Comment

Pingu: I hope AA works out for you. I couldn't stay sober wo/AA. I tried multiple times & always relapsed...the last time was particularly humiliating. That is no way to live. Good luck. Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Just walking pass my library just want to say Hi everyone and hope all is well.
            will try and post more later about my experience on monday have to go to pick daughter up to enrol in college. There a,,, AA sayin if you dont get AA, AA will get YOU !
            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

catch: I've heard that saying. I thought I was someone who didn't need AA to stop drinking. I didn't even admit I was an alcoholic until I joined AA...even though I was doing a lot of crazy stuff as a result of excessive drinking. Then when I joined AA, I didn't think I'd stay & really become a part of it all. I didn't want to change my life that much. I think I had the idea that I might be able to drink normally someday. However, the more I kept going to AA, the more the program sunk in. Now, I can see that it's so much more than just not drinking. It's a lifestyle that I really like. The steps have given me a way of living that works for all things...drinking-related or not. Mary
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Am Back !!!!
                Yes Mary i agree....The steps have given me a way of living that works for all things...drinking-related or not. That is soooo true!

My experience on monday had a chair to do for kimberley, there was a football match on, so it made it very hard for me to park my car the area. I did prayed b4 the meeting please dont let me get a parking ticket.. once i got into my chair i forgot all about my car. It was really nice to see kimberley again a very relaxing room and meeting. At the end of the meeting we did joke a little bit, about my parking. On my way back to my car there was a ticket fine on my window screen:upset:..... I tryed not to get to angry ( lol), anyway got home there was a letter for me to be opened, to my surprize my prayers were answered but in a different way, ( must rememeber never to give up Faith) got a cheque form the tax man so i can pay my car parking fine plus now i have booked to go away for my hubby B/day for 2days to FRANCE Saint Louis ( Lourdes) Really looking forward to the break, always wanted to go there.......

Mary if am right am sure i read that you went there a few months ago?

Have a lovely evening ALL :l
                Catch22.xXx
                Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I went to my first meeting last Saturday night. I went because I felt like I needed to feel the energy of a room full of people on the same alcohol free page. I don't know much about the program, is it all spelled out in the Big Book? Most of the meeting was spent listening to stories so I didn't see much structure to it. I would be interested in reading further on the resentment issue, I normally let most things bounce off of me but there is some lingering resentment I need to let go of. I'm interested in the fact the program is a path to living and not just a way to quit drinking.
                  2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to say that I went to a meeting on Monday, then my women's group, and another meeting today. Had not been looking as forward to meetings as I had been previously, but I think sometimes, when you've been going to the same meeting five days a week, you start to feel a little bored. Not sure if anyone else has ever felt that way? But I always realize that I learn something important at almost every meeting, and it feels good to be with people who are like me and who understand me and want to help each other stay sober.
                    Pingu, hope your meeting went well!
                    TDN
                    "One day at a time."

Comment

I hated it. Sorry. It left me feeling sad, lonely and utterly depressed

I'm totally stuck now I just don't know what to do, I'm sitting here on my wn in tears trying to work things out. I can't see how listening to a load of heartbreaking desperate stories is gonna help me. Maybe I a, not getting it. But I just left feeling numb and never wanting to go back

After a sleep I decided on plan c which is a women only meeting, as it was the 40-70 year old blokes being in prison and beating people up stories that intimidated me. I did not feel inspired, just scared and down. Maybe a girls meet would relate more to me

So confused, sorry about the honesty and the polling, the tears are rolling as I type
                      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Hi, Pingu.

I'm sorry that you had that experience. It is really hard for a newcomer to be at a meeting where there are the types you describe. I have been at meetings where I did not feel comfortable or even that safe. And even now, there are days when it seems that we get days where we hear the same people complaining about the same things. Then somebody will say something that really hits home with me, and I understand what the program is all about. I do think that trying the women's group is a good idea. I like my women's group--there are usually eight to ten of us, and we all feel really comfortable and safe. That is important--finding a group you really feel like you can be totally honest with. That may take a few times, but you will know right away that you've found the right place. I went to some great meetings while I was in rehab--both inside and outside our facility--and a friend of mine who is there now and coming home on Saturday has felt the same way. And she just could not get sober on her own and with our local meeting.
                        Anyway, just my two cents, and please let us know after you try the women's group.
                        And we are always here for you, too!! This thread is great, and I love the AF Daily, too. Headed there now!
                        Feel free to PM me any time you'd like!
                        :lTDN
                        "One day at a time."

Comment

First: Catch, we were in Italy not France last Nov. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

Newcomers to AA: Sometimes those speaker meetings can be disconcerting. People tell their "drunkalogs" as a way to help the newcomer identify & understand that they are not alone. I usually go to about 3 - 4 meetings per week. I usually go to the same ones, as I have friends in those meetings. I do know people who explore the area for different meetings. I've done that as well. The meetings I go to are speaker meetings, Big Book meetings, & a step meeting. I do like the variety. I hope you'll find your groove somewhere. I've found that regardless of how different a speaker might seem from me, I can always take something valuable away from the meeting.

Good luck.

Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Allswell, you can read the Big Book online. I don't think there's much spelled out about the meetings there. Doggygirl or Mary might know more about that. Other people have been telling me about the meetings and how they function. I think it's just a sort of learn as you go thing. And, I just got a sponsor, so I'm also learning from her. I look my meetings up online and it tells what type of meeting it is......whether it's Big Book, an open meeting, a Step meeting, etc.

Corinne all you can do is try different meetings. Believe me, I have left them feeling the same way, but I have also left some feeling really good. I know you're going through a rough spot right now, but my bottom line is always knowing that drinking made my life horrible and drinking again will not solve any bad feelings I'm having. It will just make them worse. I don't want to ever compromise my peace of mind again!!:l:l

TDN, I can see how you might get a little bored but can you go to a few less meetings or change up the ones you go to at all? I'm still trying to figure out all this stuff too. I'm pretty new at it.......I'm just trying different things to change my life and create one that doesn't revolve around drinking.

xx,
                            UN

Comment

Greetings all,
                              I suggest one not give up on AA after one meeting. Every group is different, yet the same. When I'm home I go to a 630am meeting every day. It is a discussion meeting except on Wednesday when we do a book study, "12 Steps and 12 Traditions".
                              During my business travels I have been to meetings in NYC, Florida, California, Colorado, Kansas, Minnesota and other states. Not bragging, just want to point out that I got something out of every one of those meetings. Of course some meetings are better than others, but don't give up too soon.

Just a suggestion, like the 12 steps.
                              Love and Peace,
                              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...
                              X