Think I am finally getting to my proper level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday was the first day I made it up to 150 mg of Topa. I have had no bad side effects so far. But the strangest thing happened last night. I had a very pronounced reduced craving to drink. I drank half of what I had been drinking before and for the first time in a LONG time I remember everything that happened last night up until going to bed. I did wake up at 5am and had trouble getting back to sleep however. I really believe that at 175 or 200mg that I can be totally AF.

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for posting this! I am just starting out, got my Topa in the mail yesterday. Had already purchased the CDs and supplements via MWO. So started taking all today, knowing I don't dare go cold turkey. I am cutting way back but afraid to just stop drinking all at once. Looks like you got to the point where the med is working! Congratulations... hope I can walk a middle line to where you are, and I don't crave it anymore.
    Be well,
    Jenn
    Jenn
    "I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk."
    Leonard Cohen

Comment

Be Patient

Hi Jenn,
      Please be patient and titrate up slowly! My Dr. has me increasing only 25mg per week. I have had very few/minor side effects like being a little more tired than normal. But I also recently quit smoking and went cold turkey on caffene. Since I started taking Topa, I have added back a small amount of caffene to counter balance the tiredness and also trying to get more exercise. It is really amazing to have this feeling that you really don't want another drink. That has SO not been me for MANY years now. I'm not claiming victory yet but it sure is starting to look promising. I really want my life back. Keep us posted on your progress!
      Bill

Comment

Topa not working

Hi Bill, I'm up to 150 on my topa and nothing. I still crave like crazy. Especially if I've had a drink, which is not very often. But once I have one I want more and more. So I guess I shouldn't start. If I know I'm going to have one, like wine with dinner etc, I sure look forward to it. I'm hoping as I go up things will settle down. I'm glad to hear it's working for you and Jenn stay strong you'll get there!
        TLK

Comment

Keep trying TLK

Hi TLK,
          Everyone has a different level of Topa where a difference is felt. Al least that is what I have learned from this board and from my psychiatrist. It seems that 175-200mg. is the most productive dose, but some can feel a change as low as 100 and others need as much as 300mg. I am not a binge drinker. In the past, I have consumed the same amount, far too much and far too embarassed to reveal lthe quantity of alcohol every night for years. I am very happy to see it decrease. I am also trying to add as much willpower as I can muster up. I can remember the first 3 days after I stopped smoking, waiting for the nicotine to get out of my system. Those were the worst 3 days of my life! I feel Topa will make it far easier when I go AF the fisrt night than when I went smoke free.
          Bill

Comment

Dear All,

I'm very happy to have found your thread. I've been on Topa for the past three weeks, too. My doctor has no experience in prescribing it, so I'm sort of the guinea pig. I haven't had any bad side effects either, despite insomnia and tiredness. I'm titrating up 25 mgs a week just to be on the safe side. I'm not a binge drinker either, but I'm on one bottle of wine a day.

Anyway, hope to reach my most productive dose of topa soon.

All the best to all of you + loads of success.
            Paddy
            Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Working...
            X