Whats up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats up?

Hey long termers.......how we all doin? I'm hangin in a bit after 8 months now. Definite family stress....still not drinkin tho. Thank heavens for all of you and MWO. Topa too. All this keeps me goin. Love ya all and been readin still. Hugs....
    Gabby :flower:

Whats up?

Hi gabby

Congrats on 8 months...and darn it...you should be proud of it!
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Whats up?

YOWZA!

Doing good. I'm on the road. Got a great wireless hookup at the hotel, and using my new little "traveling" laptop. Now I think I have 7 computers! 3 of which are laptops. Mr. Geek.

Saw a group of 4 people in the restaurant in the hotel here, going through the "ritual" of the Cabernet. Cork sniffing, swirling, sniffing, sipping. HA! Such refinement!

Made my stomach churn for a bit. Kerosene. Methyl Ether Ketone. Benzene. Toluene. Acetone. Isopropanol. Tetrachloroethylene. Ethanol. Flammable solvents all. YUM.....NOT!

I thought for a second to order a glass of fine vintage Trichloroethylene. A fine carcinogenic solvent, excellent for degreasing engine parts. Perhaps a 1999 vintage.

Ack! Spit! Ugh!

Frame of mind my friends. Frame of mind....

Neil

Comment

Whats up?

Neil,

I've got a grin on my face as big as a dinner plate. Good job and with great admiration,

Capto

Comment

Whats up?

Hi Gabby and all the LTA'S,
          Great going on the 8 months AF what a great achievement is it great when you can pass through a crisis without reaching for the bottle....we former drunks should never take that for granted.
          I had a bit of a tough night at work last night and a couple of my collegues suggested I go home and have a good strong belt.....I just smiled and nodded at them and just poked my tounge out at my little beast inside me....she just stayed sulking in the corner
          Love to all of you:h :h
          Victoria xxooxx

Comment

Whats up?

Hey Gabby, glad you started this thread... and as always, it's good to "see" you.

Today is Day 148 for me. Sometimes I wonder if I should just stop writing the numbers on the calendar but it has become something of a ritual. I don't write the number on the day until I get up in the morning, and as I do it, that's my commitment to stay sober for that day.

I'm not struggling, really... but once in a while I am caught off guard by the thought that it would be "nice" to have a drink. Then I have to stop myself: when did I ever have just one drink? (Never) And is one drink enough to satisfy me? (No, it takes a fifth of vodka) And how would I feel afterward? (like a steamroller ran over me) And would I be glad I did it? (NO) And would I feel sorry that I gave up on my commitment to stay sober (YES) And would it have been worth it for a couple hours' high? (NO NO NO) So -- it always comes down to the same answer, whether I do it in my head or in real life. I know where that drinking path leads. It's the sober path that holds mystery and promise -- and that's where I want to stay.

So these moments scare me when they come.... and it's good that they scare me. This is serious business, drinking and sobriety. For me, it's about as serious as it gets, because I think I could easily kill myself with alcohol. So I'm glad that those moments scare me: they should.

Other than that I have the feeling that I should be doing something more proactive at this point. You know, I'm kind of coasting along, staying sober..... but I don't feel like I'm doing much to grow and expand. I feel like I need to shift into a higher gear, to use Neil's engine metaphor. So I know I need to do something.... I can't coast for too long because it's dangerous (resting on one's laurels, you know). Good thing I have an appointment with my hypnotherapist tonight. I'll talk to him about "what next?"

Hope you're all having a good day~

Mike
            "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Whats up?

All you long termers, Gabby, Mikeupnorth, Xtexan, Katiesmiles.... I love reading your posts, learning and listening. Thanks so much for being there.
              Rivergirl

Gabby Major congratulations on 8 months- 243 days?

Comment

Whats up?

I loveeeeeeeeeeeee it!
                And I love all of you!
                Neil! YUM!!!!!!!! Too funny!
                Nancy
                AF the only way for me to be!
                "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Whats up?

Good Morning everyone! It's day 76 for me and I'm feeling stronger every day. I know I'll be in this Forum for a long long time.....

Mike, I am a goal setter, and without a goal to achieve I flounder and wallow around in my "boring" life getting depressed (which by most people's standards is already completely insane!). Part of me has already acheived this goal of sobriety, so what do I do next????

Just over a year ago I wrote down seven goals - none of which I could acheive without giving up the grog (which was one of the goals).All but one have been acheived.

1 I stopped drinking

2 I got a promotion.

3. I learnt to ride a motorbike

4. I bought my own bike.

5. I got my money under control (no debts)

6. Meet someone

7. lose weight - this is the one that I am still working on, but going great guns at the moment.

So my new goals,

Finish losing weight
                  Work on my new relationship with a view for making it something really great (for the first time in my life)
                  Plan to travel overseas
                  Learn to scuba dive
                  Get fit - be more active outside - push bike riding, walking/running, skiing, have fun.
                  It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Whats up?

Thanks, Flip. I think a set of goals (attainable, but which will make me stretch and grow) might just be the ticket!

Mike
                    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Whats up?

I have heard that it takes 21 days to break a habit. My daily habit was to drink at least a six pack of Bud, everyday, most days 8 to 9. Today I am four days from the 21 and no six packs. I did drink 5 beers on Superbowl Sunday, so I have to extend a few days for that slip. But this is the first time in about 30 years that I have gone this long.
                      And how do I feel, gee...terrific. You guys know the story, better sleep, better thoughts, more energy, more time to accomplish goals and all that.
                      Thanks to all your posts, especially the other males, MikeUpNorth and Xtexan. No offense to the ladies, ok?
                      Have a great Wed.
                      Love and Peace,
                      Phil
                      Love and Peace,
                      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Whats up?

Phil....
                        I may be a ladie, but I could drink beer with the best of you guys....and remain bein a ladie I might add. (not that its a braggin point) Anyway I cant tell you how good I feel breakin that habit. I feel soooo good words cant describe. However.....I do think it took a little longer than 21 days for me. It can be done tho. Stick around here and you'll pull it off.

hugs and hugs....
                        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Whats up?

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

Well, I've been tempted lately. Even almost talked myself into having champagne tonight to celebrate Valentines Day, but talked it through with my husband and we decided not jump on that roller coaster. We know that we would just look to the next occassion. It was really good that we could just talk it through and take the high road even though we both would have liked to have indulged..for different reason, none having to do with Valentines Day, of course..we were honest with ourselves and with eachother. This is progress. Sooo, Have a Hearty Day all.
                          Love,
                          Dianne

Comment

Whats up?

Oh, by the way. I'll have 4 months AF on Friday!
                            di

Comment

Whats up?

Thanks Kate, it's been a very thin line at times, it could have gone either way this morning. I'm glad it went the way it did. :0)
                              d

Comment

Working...
                              X