Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Saturday April 28

Morning Friends

I've been bold not writing, just browsing, now fear not I'm still bopping along nicely, all is good had no word from the job yet but hey fingers and toes are crossed, tryin not to let it make me feel anxious, its all about changing habits and ways of lookin at things and choosing to feel good

So ya alot going on here, have to give them a better look through, that's the difference with not writing even though I was browsing you dont feel as in touch.

So right coffee is on me this morning, I'm ready and waiting to take your orders to make up for my absence. Oh I went to see The Avengers last night, that's good coffee conversation I reckon

Have a super day one and all, and I'll try and weigh in later
    "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Hi, Sugar.
    So glad to see you back!!Thanks for the coffee! Need that on this Saturday morning!
    I know a job is coming for you. Sometimes it just takes a while before the right thing comes along, as you know. Your whole attitiude is so good and it has to show in the way you present yourself to others. :goodjob: Are you still getting along well with your mother?
    Finished the first week of work and feel tired, but happy to be working. Back to it on Monday, but without the girl who has worked the store before. Owner still hasn't come by--now says she'll be in next week. We'll see!
    Have to go back and read yesterday's posts and will be back. Just wanted to say Good Morning to all you Abbers out there!
    TDN
    "One day at a time."

Comment

Good Morning Fabbies!

7am here and time to get ready for another day of fun with the horses! Everything is going well; I have not yet kissed the sand in the arena :H

TDN, good grief, girl....it's Saturday and you're already talking about work on Monday! Pace thyself! :H Hello to the Sugarland fairy and all to come. Have a grand day and one thing is for sure!
      Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

OHHHH the avengers... was it good? lots of explosions i imagine... LOL.
        i need lots of coffee this morning... funny since i stopped AL i have tripled my caffeine intake.. now i need to find a coffee anonymous meeting... LOL

not drinking today or this weekend. not even a sip or a sniff... but i tell you something i SURE can smell it off everyone else.. it's the same thing when i quit smoking 10 eyars ago.. i can smell even the tiny bit of smoke on someone or even outside ....

But i don't mind people smoking around me. i know i can never ever have even 1 puff and I would be hooked again. so in 10 years not even a lick of a cigarette... I am hoping the same is true for AL.. and i can look back 10 years from now and say the same thing

but i do miss smoking.. crazy right?? and i do miss drinking.. but not enough to kill myself..

caper
        caper
        AF since Sept 2013...
        :alf:

Comment

Morninh sunshine and tnd and all to come

God I love the encouragemet here, I really do;0

gettin on grand with my mother, she still puts the weight of everyones happiness on me, if I'm well everyone in the family are well and vice versa, which is silly (life is better defo with out seeing someone you love hurting themselves) but we all create our own happiness. People around me are not changing but I'm trying to change the way I look at them for the good of myself and others, does dat make sense
          "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

Good morning all!

Sugar- thanks for starting us off on this fine Saturday. Keep us posted on the job front.

I just read through yesterday's thread.

Kas- I can't get the "She's a Brick House!" song out of my head. Chick- a- down, chick-a-down,down.....

Turn- great post! Oh, and I'm jealous of the 6 pounds.

AFM- thanks for taking the time to write more about what happened. I didn't know your background.What a lot to go though.
            Det- lovely picture. I've never gone on a balloon ride but we "almost" did in Napa.

TDN- you are tiny, tiny, tiny. I'm like half of a supermodel. The tall half not the stick half!

Caper- I love my caffeine too!

LVT- I've been wanting to try quinoa. Thanks for the link.

Dizzy- uh oh. Hugs! I'm glad you are getting meds that will help you stay sober. Back on the train girl. Don't let one blip stop you from the new better version of Dizzy.

Sunni- have a great day with the horsies.

I made it through the evening with cranberry and seltzer. It took my friend 2 evenings til she said " I noticed you haven't been drinking." When I told her I gave it up months ago her response was "oh I
            can't give it up, my job is too stressful." I wanted to shout that alcohol made my entire life more stressful.
            Hi to the rest of you beauties! Wishing you a most excellent af day. One more day of "hostess with the mostess."
            AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Back again. Hi, Sunni! Sounds like your horsie weekend is going great!! Has to be exciting!
              Just went and read yesterday's posts.
              Dizzy--I am so sorry for your slip. I hate to say it, but I had a "feeling" after reading Thursday's post. Guess my own past experiences make it a little easier to read between the lines when somebody is going to relapse. You have so much on your plate, but hopefully this is going to make you stronger. It takes so much energy to start back again--or at least it did for me. Know we are all here for you. You are a such a big part of this thread.
              AFM, I should go back and read all of your posts, as I didn't even know about the cancer/chemo. Ugh! I often think that I have been able to stay sober fairly easily because I haven't had any life shattering events to deal with. I pray I will be strong enough when/if something happens, but I don't feel 100% sure of it. I am just so impressed that you came back so fast and climbed back on board. Also, I don't know how it is for you, but when I was on the board of our shelter and ran events, helped with the animals, etc. I drank a lot because I felt so bad at time for the homeless animals. And I know a lot of people who help with animal groups who drink or overeat, etc. Just my experience. Maybe it is good not to ruch back to that.
              So funny that there was the quinoa discussion yesterday, as I decided to make up some quinoa, to which I added some fat free Greek dressing, some feta, some dried cranberries and some candied walnuts a friend had added to our salad last week. Just a few, as they are sugary. I brought this to work and shared it with my two co-workers, and we agreed it was a winner! Am going to start making more of this. So many things you can add to it!
              Trying to get myself geared up for a walk and it's only 32 degrees!:upset: Then to gym for a bit.
              "One day at a time."

Comment

Good morning Abbers!

32 degrees here too TDN - Brrr!!!!

Dizzy, I am sorry to hear your news, on all fronts.
                I hope you can get yourself right back together & back on plan. BFs & sometimes husbands can be a$$holes, I'm not drinking over mine anymore - that's my choice!

AFM, hope you are OK as well. Rough week for lots of people it seems. Stick with us, OK?

Det, lovely balloon pic!

sugar, keeping my fingers crossed for you. There will be a job for you!

I have lots of things to do today but can't get much done until someone comes to pick up EB. He spent the night, has been up since 6:30am - ho hum! Wish I had his energy

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a great AF day!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good afternoon fabbies,

Guess who woke up late this morning? Me, Bliss!!! Great to see Sugar got the coffee.

Dizzy - I had so many of those times ... Main thing you came back here. The only thing I learnt from each fail was to recognize the onset earlier and earlier and take evasive action.

No hubby talk yet, he came back far too late on Thu and last night he went out for "a pint after work" with the Irish wrecking crew. He came back quite merry, very loving and totally not in the right frame of mind to talk about my problem with AL.

Long weekend here, I plan loads of hiking with dogs and kids.
                  workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Morning all!

I am doing fabulous. A week later, and all is goooooooood! So happy that I was able to get off that nasty train quickly.

I refuse to let AL get me. REFUSE! Sober life is so much better than drunk life. After last Friday/Sat morning all I can say is that I do not miss that life, feeling, etc.

I am going to the ferry this morning to pick up a friend. It will be nice to have company this weekend. Go out and shop, and do fun things.

Have a fantastic AF day everyone. :h

Comment

Awww, I knew it was going to happen. I planned it. People on antabuse AND topamax doesnt just slip up.

This is not the time or the place but Topamax has taken away my obsession with alcohol BUT it didnt take away my inability to not be able to deal with my emotions appropriately.

I break up with my bf because he would rather turn to the bottle than me when he is under stress. And how do I deal with the stress of the breakup? Can I have the Darwin award for logic? Of course it just made matters worse and I just made matters worse by some emails I sent last night but nothing too bad and nothing in comparison to what the prize asshole told me.

Anyway, I'll be back next week. I havent had anything to drink today but I'll get some antabuse just in case, the breakup isn't final or over but its bound to get worse before it gets better.

Thanks for the support.

XOX

Comment

Hello friends,

I really need to get busy this morning, but I felt the need to pop in and give you all some encouragement.

It truly is not necessary nor helpful to rely on alcohol to help us deal with stress or emotional difficulties (as well as celebrations). I was also worried about that when I first quit because when my mom and dad were sick for 2 years and subsequently passed and my father in law died suddenly-- my drinking definitely increased. I relied on it pretty heavily, especially the period after they died. So when I quit I thought what am I going to do if I experience something like that without AL. But you know what, I was able to be there for my sister through over a year of illness and her death, my best friend's year long battle with cancer and his passing, and a couple of funerals that are actually big drinking parties. And I do feel pretty good about that. The alcohol never helped me, I feel like in my case it was just an excuse to drink, because everyone would understand.
                        So I just want you to know it can be done, and Dizzy, you are probably right about the Anabuse and Topamax. I always wonder about those that use the meds to help them, does it help to deal with the underlying problems. I actually went to a counselor for awhile to help me deal with the emotional stuff. Just some food for thought.:l
                        The more af time you get under your belt, the easier it becomes--really!:h

We had a beautiful rain here and today the sun is shining. It looks to be a beautiful weekend if the stupid wind doesn't screw it up. But--I've got to clean house! My son and I were up talking until 1:30 am! I guess he is getting me prepared for the post prom party where we have to be there functioning until after 3 am!!:H

Have a great af day everyone!:h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks LVT. Just one thing I should clarify. My psychiatrist RX'ed Topamax for Bipolar and it's the first drug to actually lift my 14 year genetic depression, so it taking away my cravings is actually just a bonus. My mom is Bipolar I and my dad is epileptic so we are all on mood stabilisers. And yes, I have tried everything else for depression from counselling, diet, excercise, homeopathic, etc. etc. etc. but somehow the Topamax just lifted the black veil for me.

As for the Antabuse, I am only using it for the first few months to help me learn to deal with stressful situations as I'm going through a lot right now. I will probably keep an emergency supply of it in case but yes, now that I have lifted the huge black cloud from my head and heart and I am feeling strong enough to start peeling layers from this onion, counselling is indeed the next necessary step. :l

Comment

AFM - Thank you for replying to my questions. I am thrilled you are solidly back with us. You sound happy and strong!

DBee - you fly your little butt right back here - STAT! AFM is 100% right - do NOT wait until Tuesday to stop drinking. This is an addiction. The only way to start NOT being addicted is to stop pouring the toxin down your throat. I don't use the word poison as a colorful term. It truly is a toxic substance. I will defer to Miss Science Pants aka "Brick House" to tell you the precise makeup of this. This toxin changes our brain chemistry and process. There is no getting around this. It is a FACT. So...SweetBee...come back to the place where you know life is free from this heinous addiction.

Sunni - you are just bubbling with happiness. I am so happy you're riding is going so well!

Almost - I always get a lift from your posts. You are rocking this thing! I see you are closing in on the big 100. Woot!

Sugar - wisdom looks really good on you. Your post is so spot on.

Caper - great to see you here. I hope you can stick around for awhile. This thread is a great place for those who really want to be free of this shit addiction. Amazing support and gentle butt-kicking as needed.

TDN - it's soooooo nice to hear how well everything is going for you. YOU, of course, have everything to do with that. You are always making lemonade out of lemons! You sure give a lot of hope and help to those facing legal consequences of drinking. Your example is inspiring - and admirable.

Shue - baby - sounds like you have a good weekend ahead. I shared a bit about my take on 'telling' the hubby yesterday, if you didn't get a chance to read it. You are a smart, determined and strong person. You are asking good questions. I have all the faith in the world that you will find the right answer.

Lav - I am pretty sure you are right up there with EB in the energy department. You are always on the go and ALWAYS upbeat. The world needs much more Lavan-itude!

Have you ever noticed.....

...STRESS is a HUGE factor in driving people to alcohol...in the first place and...tragically, in the last place. And, then - as WE all know - alcohol becomes the cause of stress in our lives, as well, once we have crossed into the realm of addiction.

I was reading about the brain, alcohol and anxiety last night and came across an interesting study. It showed that while many of the effects of alcohol were diminished by tolerance, alcohol still was able to provide 'relief' in the brain consistently. In fact, because alcohol had displaced all the dopamine functions, alcohol became the only temporary source of providing the 'calming' effects. This study also looked at alcohol cessation and found that many people ended up quite depressed AFTER quitting. Their brains just weren't yet producing dopamine and serotonin again on their own.

So the question is - how do we deal with anxiety and its siamese twin, stress - big and small - in a constructive, positive way? I sure would like to hear your coping strategies...

As for me, right now, I am finding a lot of relief and happiness in VIGOROUS exercise. Off to ride my bicycle....to the gym!

Oh - one more thing! I am now having SOBER dreams. Two in a row. It's so much better than dreaming about getting drunk. Actually, those would technically be called, real shitty nightmares.
                            In my dream last night, I was at a party with my old friends from high school. I looked across the table, and one of my friends was drinking seltzer with lemon. I asked her if she stopped drinking al and from there we carried on. Soon another drunk friend was sobbing about how she was out of control with her drinking. I felt strong and happy and FREE being sober.

But I gotta tell you, REAL life now for me, is even better than what I experienced in the dream. NOW I am going to ride that bike.
                            Sober for the Revolution!
                            AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Sorry, I know this isn't funny and BTW I am NOT drinking today but I did just go into hysteric giggles as I am now truly scared of Ms Science Panties Brick Shit House. BTW, Kas, you should stop giving youself such flattering nicknames. I knew I should stay away. Damnit. Why do you guys have to be so damn nice?

My love of words prevented me from ever entering the daftly named newbies nest but I guess I should've after all. Noooo, I had to come and join the serious abbers and see how much fun they are having. :l

Comment

Working...
                              X