Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Really, Really plan to Moderate this time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello moderating friends! I hope you are all doing well! I have been here briefly several times over the last 5 or so years. I plan to moderate starting today for my health and to set an example for my husband who is an alcoholic and MUST learn to abstain or moderate or he will continue to decline in health.

My history of drinking daily goes back about 30 yrs., since meeting my husband (I am 55). I can down a bottle of wine with no problem and often do, and maybe even a bit more. I can have 5 or 6 strong mixed drinks and often do. I probably get drunk only once a week since I have a strong tolerance, even when drinking so heavily. I drink heavily at home and most of the time only moderately when out since I have to drive.

I am lucky that my health isn't suffering with life threatening problems, only painful and inconvenient ones (obesity, arthritis, inflammation, etc.).. I am working with a Chinese Medicine healer to detoxify and it seems kind of silly to be adding all those toxins found in a wine or liquor bottle! I am working on eating VERY healthfully, but all h@ll breaks loose once I am drinking and I'll eat whatever junk is around.

I want to start out by refraining from drinking at home. I am fine with having a couple of glasses of wine when socializing once or twice a week. I do the most damage to myself on weekends at home. Those will be the tough times, but I'll review the tool box on this site and create my own!

I look forward to getting to know you and support you!:thanks:
    "We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
    ~John Lennon

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

~Author Unknown

:welcome: DipGal. I am sorry to hear that your husband is not doing so well on the AL front. But maybe by your actions he will want to join us on here as well and try to cut down. That's great you are going to the tool box and will create your own tools. You may want to join us on the May Mod thread. We mods hang out there and just continue the thread with each new month. We are a small group and don't always post daily but we are around. I seem to be opposite of you. I don't do well in social situations but have gotten myself down to drinking Fri, Sat, Sun and only 2-3 glasses of wine on those days. I am trying to cut out Fridays as well. I have done that in the past but it has crept up on me lately. I would love to only drink Sat and Sun.and only 2 glasses of wine on those days. But I am like you that when I have something to drink I will just scarf down anything. Ugh.

Please come join us on the May modders thread and meet the rest of us. Good luck.
    MM
    "What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding." Elvis Costello

Comment

hi dipgal, yes please join us on the may modders thread, we all check in there to stay on track. I was a heavy daily drinker with no control at all just over a year ago, I have gradually worked on it and now have some control of my drinking that seemed impossible back then. there are others of us who have considerably reduced our drinking through modding so it is possible to change.

Comment

Hi Dipgal,
        Sounds like a good plan. Like DG said, come and join us on the May Modders thtead. The more the merrier.
        x
        Be strong-
        We define ourselves by the best that is in us, not the worse that has been done to us.
        Be constructive. Clear the word of CAN'T

Comment

It might otherwise sound horrible, but I was able to cut my drinking down to the weekly single binge and I hope I can be of help as rebirth, drinkingal and others have been for me.

Comment

Welcome Dipgal and a big hello to everyone else,

Dipgal, your story sounds a lot like mine, except I don't have the irritating health probs that you do, and in some ways it will coerce you to get your drinking under control for your healths sake.

My hubby is the same as yours. I doubt that he will change unless a Dr says he has to. I have found that most people change because they are forced to - making us modders exceptional people because we change because we want to - or perhaps know we need to.

Most of us don't necessarily have health problems that can possibly make quitting easier.

As all the others have said, we are a small group, but that makes it better IMO.:l

This is the first time in so many years I actually feel I can do this.
            Time to whip AL's Ass :b&d:
            :h ya
            Trix

Comment

Just popping in quickly, but I just wanted to say what an uplifting post that was trixie! I hadn't thought of it that way but you are right that we have chosen to do this for ourselves rather than being forced to do it. It does get easier over time too, so even if you feel like it's a struggle at times, over time I've noticed that I've had some subtle but also big mental shifts in my attitude towards al, e.g. I could never go back to drinking the way I was, I still don't know how I even kept up with it, or what made me want to do that but it's just a distant memory now. You totally can change and I think the first step is really just being aware of your drinking instead of mindlessly drinking which is what I think most of us do to get into trouble, and you are working hard on that . :goodjob:

Comment

You seem to know what your tiggers are, that's definitely a step in the right direction....drinkingpal, that's actually a good line aware vs. mindless drinking. I was always (usually) pretty good about pacing myself, but then I got older, body mind changes...I may drink 6-7 beers (or more) and feel fine during it, even over a decent amount of time, but the next day....ugh...as we all know, its harder than one realizes.

Here's something I did that helped (I should re-visit it), keep an alcohol journal, what you drank, how many, how you feel the next day, (how you feel in general)etc. When you first do it, you'll be surprised about how much you really drink, than you think you drank. It's a very effective way to find your limits.

Comment

Working...
                X