Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Sunday May 13th

Good morning, abbies,

Coffee and tea are out on the terrace for you, next to my newly potted bougaivillea (pics later).
    My son has made pancackes - turned out better than mine. I also left out some homemade raspberry jam from Romania.

Have a wonderful lazy Sunday, I'll post some more later, got some shopping to do.

Love love love to you all.
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Happy Mothers Day to all the human moms, furmoms, stand in moms, and surrogate moms on the daily abs! May it be a beautiful day and may you feel appreciated and loved!!

New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Hi everyone

Yes happy mothers day to those of you in USA, in UK ours is always 2 weeks before Easter.

Last night wasn't so easy, one of my neighbours told me he was going to open a bottle of wine, and I thought, wish I could do the same. mr Sausage had 2 or 3 glasses of wine but I had ginger ale.

Then this am I logged on to Facebook and overnight one of my friends has done a midnight 26 mile run/ walk for breast cancer and she posted pictures of her enjoying champagne at the end, and I thought, I'll never be able to celebrate the end of something like that with champagne again. Then I thought , this is silly because before I started drinking, I ran 6 marathons in the late 1990's including London3x and New York and NEVER did I drink alcohol at the finish or even within a few hours of finishing and I didn't need it as I had such a natural high without it.

Today is day 80 for me so I don't want to spoil things now but I know without the support of MWO I wouldn't be doing so well.

Have a great Sunday AF everyone.

Comment

Hallooooooooo FabKngs and FabQueens. Release the baloons, its mothers day in Canada. Thanks to Shueskikoff, honorary West Kootenay Doukhabor for the day, for you a leetle bit Borcht, and a peekle.

Oy.

Happy Moms day to Pap, mother of 3 tiny hounds. I was getting some grocs for last nites din, when I snared a little 5 month old golden lab pup wandering in the parking lot about to get crushed by all the jacked up mod bogger trucks here. Very pretty and sweet, but didnt know what to do with her, so I held her for about 15 minutes while the owner did his shopping and finally came out, looking very surprised to see a strange woman holding his pup. WHat? She can jump out of the back now, sez he. Yes. I offered to relieve him of the dog if he ever finds her to be too much. Also the collar was too tight on her. So yeah.. Thought of you as I was holdiing this big gallumping puppy, and she kind of snuggled into my shoulder.

Sausage,thats awesome that you once ran marathons, and you may do that again, and I bet Champaigne at the end would be just foul, actually. I tried some last Fathers day, just a sip, and excuse my French but it tasted like crap, and I got a bit of a shite kicking on here for it, too. If you are entertaining the idea that you can no longer enjoy Al and therefore Boo Hoo, you are not alone. I read somewhere that that is an indication of subversive recidivism. Ie residual booze addiction making its last pathetic efforts to draw you back in. Can you tell I dont have that warm attraction to it anymore? Anyway, keep going. You are doing great! Sorry you have those episodes where you regret little AL celebrations. I bet you WILL be an awesome runner again.

Anyways everybody enjoy yer sunday. its mothers day....also my daughters birthday, which kind of cancels out mothers day, but thats ok. My daughter is a bit self absorbed and when md falls on her bd she gets a bit shirty about it.

Kas
        Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Had a nice breakfast prepared by my son (the firehouse chef) :H
          They came bearing gifts & food ~ was very nice.
          EB stayed behind so he could spend the whole day with Mi Mom

Greeting to Shue, Papmom, Sausage & Kaslo!
          Sausage, forget the champagne - it's poison with bubbles Congrats on your 80 AF days!!!

AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good afternoon, Abbers.

Happy Mother's Day! We got carnations at church today--I guess I got one because I am the "mother" of three four legged boys!

I am now at my friend's shop, and it is quite peaceful and sweet. Not like my "real" job, although that will be getting better now that we are officially open! I have today and--hopefully--tomorrow off. My friend will be back from Ireland on Thursday, and I may be off Wednesday or Thursday and could cover for her then. My friend who has is working with me at the tee shirt store covered yesterday and did pretty well. She loves being here, too!

Shue, can't wait to see the bouganvillea! I took a few pics of the front and side of our house to show some of the rhodies and azaleas, etc. but some are already fading. The rest of the perennials are not out yet. We will probably get our annuals--or some of them--starting this week. Mr TDN does the garden, but this year I will be sober and will help a lot more! Hey--can somebody repost the photobucket directions for me again? SuniButt?

Kas, that jerk whose poor pup was wandering in the parking lot--I wish people like that were not able to be pet owners! I am remembering a couple of years ago confronting a known A-hole at a small seasonal grocery store here when he left two dogs in the open bed of his pick up truck--with two kids inside while the truck was running! He told me to mind my own business and then called the police--Barney Fife's crew--and said that I had tried to block his truck! He was obviously impaired and had a 12 pack of beer in his arms. Must have thought I was going to report him, as there is a law about that, so he beat me to the punch! I was out of town the next week, but one of Barney's men came to the house looking for me and hubby explained what had happened. This guy is known to the police--even let his horse wander over to a friend's house a few times. And of course, I got my DUI in November after being reported by the JERK breeder who reported me. So I must now just mind my own business and pray that somebody else will say something!
            Lav, love the roses and chocolates!! What a nice gift for you!

Okay--will check back later and hope everyone is having a terrific AF day!
            "One day at a time."

Comment

Happy Happy Mothers Day!!!!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

It's day 18 for me. Still getting physical cravings. Almost gave up yesterday... You know the dialogue: my life is in ruins anyway, why not just get through the night with wine? Well, I wanted to but my body didn't want to feel horrible! So I just let my mind feel horrible by itself!

It is indeed Mother's Day. Wish my sons would relent and call. I didn't turn into a drunk until after they were grown. Maybe someday people will understand alcoholism for what it is, at least in my experience... Self-medication for an anxiety disorder. I'm with Dr. Amienson on that.

So to all mothers... Have a happy day, and hopefully a AF one.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I last posted regularly at MWO in Spring 2008. I'm 2.5 years AF now and rejoining a couple of threads to remember how hard it is to quit. Just sort of an AF check up.

Anyway, I will be popping in here.

Sausage, you I remember. I have to just say look at the conjunction you used in your second paragraph. Mr sausage had a ....BUT... I had ginger ale. Watch for that deprivation thing. Has gotten me in all kinds of relapse trouble (note I have 2.5 years not 4). Good to see you doing well and staying on track.

Lost, sorry about the cravings. Don't give in to them. you will just have to quit again and it really does get harder each time. I think most of us drank to medicate. and now we have to learn to not medicate...Stay strong...

Best,

Hi Det!
                  Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Beck (and anyone else this applies to) I commented after one of your other posts tonight, that the Newbies Nest is a great place to visit if you want reminders of how hard it is to quit and how desperate people are to have an AF life. I intend to stick close to MWO because when I don't, that is when I fail.

Thank you for pointing out the way I phrased my 2nd paragraph. Point taken!

Hope everyone has had a good AF weekend.

Comment

welcome back Beck and hooray for 2.5years AF! totally fab!

Lostlady, your in a great spot here, please check in daily and let us know about yourself. Happy mothers day to you.

Paleo flat bread.

ok, by request I'm posting this incredibly simple recipe. I had to go and make it again and measure things since I don't actually cook by written recipes.

in a mixing bowl:

1 cup of hazelnut meal
                      1 large egg (locally free-range farmed of course!)
                      1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
                      salt
                      sprinkle of rosemary leaves optionally

mix into a heavy dough, and spread out onto an oiled metal tray. I make mine about 1/4" or thinner.

bake at about 375 until its golden brown and happy looking. remove and turn out onto a plate while still hot (gets really fragile when it cools off)

yummy and grain-free. also very low on the glycemic scale
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Happy Mothers Day Fabber Abbers,

Sausage. I know you don't need champagne after a marathon. It's just that stinkin' thinkin' that pops up from time to time.

Beck, I remember you. Good to see you here.

M3
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

Happy Mother's Day, Fabbinis!

I had a great weekend full of horse stuff, am sun burnt and tired and in dire need of a shower/bath but learned a lot and was told that I HAD to rename Trouble... as he came around just beautifully with me today. My coach/friend/host of this event worked with him yesterday and I ended up stepping in because things were really getting out of hand. She has a very confrontational/direct/ personality and high energy level and he did not appreciate that.. not one bit. So, I may have some mending to do with her but I had to advocate for my horse.

An interesting side note... I had the clinician and her husband plus said friend over for BBQ and camp fire last night... Mr. Wonderful was the odd one out, drinking his wine. The rest of us stuck to non AL drinks. Kinda nice, ain't it?

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
                          Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Hello and good nite my fab abber friends!!

Sausage-What Kas said!!And Beck. And M3. that is all.

Lav-your kids have turned out pretty good haven't they?

TDN-your friend is coming back from Ireland, my nephew left today. Glad you're getting a few days off-you deserve it!!

Kas-that was some adventure at the market!! How did you manage to hold your temper? That idiot is very lucky you found the dog-he might have lost that poor pup for good, either by death or stealing. You are a good egg - how do you say that in Russian??

Welcome Beck and Lost!! Please stay with us-we'll keep you on the straight and narrow!

Before i tell you all what a fabulous day I had, let me relate a story I'm pretty sure TDN saw on the news.
                            Recently, a lady was walking her pit bull Lilly, along the railroad tracks. She fell and passed out while a train was rounding the corner or coming down the tracks and her dog valiantly pulled her off. The engineer saw the whole thing but could not stop the train in time. Lilly was hit. badly. She lost a leg, fractured another and her pelvis and had multiple internal injuries. But, she has rallied and yesterday went home with the woman's son and his family. he, btw is a Boston (I think) police officer. From the get go this man told the media he got Lilly for his mom to help her stop drinking. The media in turn as very nonchantly I think, mentioned time and again that the woman suffers from alcoholism. I don't think they once said she was an alcoholic. It was never mentioned whether she was drunk when she passed out on the tracks-I've had the impression she is recovering but I could be wrong. Anyway, my point is, the woman's family and the media have been very open is mentioning her disease. Almost the way they might have said she was diabetic or epileptic. Is it possible that we as a society have turned a teeny tiny corner and the stigma of alcholism is slowly decreasing? Food for thought.

Now for the news of the day. I had a fabulous last day at the NH!! We had a chat session in the morning, remembering our moms. In the afternoon we had a tea party with a soft jazz band playing in honor of Mother's Day. It was a sell out crowd with lots of family members. Even my dad came!! It was very bittersweet to say goodby to those residents who would actually understand I was leaving but I've promised to return in June with one of my dogs. You know, I think I'm going to miss all those Lawrence Welk DVDs I showed!! :H

On the way home I listened to This American Life on NPR. They were interveiwing a mind body medicine doctor who talked about how detrimental worry and anxiety was to the body physically. He has a book out (can't remember the title or his name) and he talks about how he helps his patients who suffer from chronic worry. And, this is big, he talked about how EVERYONE could utilize the Serenity prayer in their daily lives. No need to believe in god or a higher power. Just say the words. Did you all know it originated in the 14th century and then became very popular with our WWI soldiers. Anyway, at this moment in my life, I feel like I can take things as they come. I know I wasn't that way 6 months ago and I remember clearly how sick I felt on a daily basis, all due to worry. The bottom line is, we can worry all we want and it won't do a damn bit of good. In fact it does a lot of harm. Lets all make a pledge to say the serenity prayer at least once a day (I do so before bed) and to take 10 min everyday just to focus on a day dream or vision that makes us feel good or has happy memories for us. No one can interupt this 10 min. No one. Let's see if it doesn't have some sort of impact on our lives in a very short time.

On to a new chapter for me. Interview is on Wednesday and I can control some parts of that scenario. After it's over, it's out of my hands and I can relax and know that I gave it my best and if it's meant to be, I'll get the offer.

Sleep tight my loves and hope you all had a wonderful day!!
                            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Hello friends,

Super duper late check in from me out here in the Mountain time zone. I just got home from our nephew's graduation and HOLY HANNAH were there a lot of beer drinkers!:H It really is nice visiting with family and friends I haven't seen in awhile, but it sure isn't the same. I begged out early and came home alone--left my sons to bring their dad home.

I was quite pleased with a lot of the parents in our community that got together and had one big AF graduation reception. It has been the norm for many years to have these huge blowouts to try to out do the neighbors and always a lot of alcohol. I used to go and have a great time, but once my own kids got older (and I sobered up) I thought....wait a minute. What is wrong with this picture? Why are we serving alcohol at high school graduation receptions??? Anyway, I guess I have mixed feelings about it, because after all it is a celebration for the parents who have raised their kids and got them graduated. I do know that there will be no alcohol served next year at my son's reception.

I had a lovely Mother's day, and quite proud and in love with my sons right now. So, I'll leave it at that.

(Hi Beck)
                              :h
                              The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Working...
                              X