Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really, really silly question...

OK
    I have been reading a lot here and now feel I would like to perhaps expand my experiences and thought about going to a church service (please don't laugh yet, there's more to come ) Anyway, I don't know where to go or how to do it?!! Do I just walk into a church on Sunday? How do I chose where to go?? Many questions that I can't believe I'm asking but, I guess here is as good a place as any...!
    Sorry for the naivete, but I can't believe it either...
    love
    blondie

Hi Blondie! There are no silly questions. I think the best thing to do is to find a few churches that are convenient to your location and go visit and be an observer...I think churches are valuable because they are so diversified in how they communicate their messages...that there is one for everyone...the trick is finding one that speaks in a language, style, attitude...whatever it might be, that you can relate to and that feels right and good to you. If you go to a church and you have icky feelings about it..check out your feelings..ask yourself what it is..is it you, or them...is it your response to them...etc. Go to several churches until you find one that you feel good in..you should feel welcome, the priest should feel accessible..you should feel relatively at home there. Good luck!
    Dianne

Comment

Not silly.....just another aspect of the healing I reckon...after the booze has gone, there are holes to fill and meanings to find. I am visiting the 'what we believe' corner a lot more regularly these days, and have also thought about looking to something spiritual to calm the mind a little more.
      Not sure how to go about it either though Blondie...I've tried googling a few things to give me some pointers as I don't want to just 'join up' to something, I want to find somewhere I like the philosophy of....I want a 'do as you would be done by' type thingy, but one that is relevant to my life and the one I am trying to lead...
      Just try it out...why not walk into a church on a Sunday morning? Listen to what's going on, see how you're welcomed and how you feel about it....

I'm with you on this one
      Weemelon xx

Comment

p.s...what are you doing up now??? I am obviously not the only Antipodean insomniac at the moment......

Comment

thanks dilayne and weemelon
          It seem so silly to ask..
          Anyhoo... shall try on Sunday :-) Do you have to be of that particular persuasion??

Weemelonmissinginaction
          Is Monday your hypno? Let me know how it goes.
          Why are you up so early?
          Trying to think too much :H
          love
          blondie

Comment

No, I've got an app't today, in about 7 hours.......insomnia AGAIN!!!!!!
            I'll tack the results onto MikeupNorths hypno thread tomorrow after I've been...
            GOT to go to bed now, or there will just be a snoring melon on the couch....not pretty, as I tend to have an unfortunate drooling habit!!!
            Give me feedback on the church if you find one...I'm very interested
            Night xx

Comment

Hi Blondie!

It's not a silly question at all.

Do you have a bible?

In addition to visiting a few churches, I recommend to anyone who is exploring Christianity to read the book of John in the new testament. It's a great start on your journey to knowing the life of Jesus. It's very easy to read and a great place to start!

Please, if you have any questions at all feel free to ask. I don't know all the answers but I will try and I know other's here will too.

Wishing you all the best in your new journey:l
              :h :h :h :h

Comment

Blondie..I don't know what your faith is, but you certainly don't have to be 'of that particular' persuasion 'yet'..anyway...I'm sure any one of them would be happy to persuade you..of course, it might be helpful to know where your interest lie anyway...are you interested in the teachings of Christ? Buddah? Of course, if your family is jewish..well, you may go to Synagogue...You may very much like a Unity church which is non-denominational...it may quote scripture, but usually takes a more metaphysical approach to interpretation. This would be my personal recommendation as it would be a safe place to open your heart and mind so that you will be lead to what is best for your personal spritiual growth.
                Peace be with you!
                di

Comment

HI Rachele..I was posting while you were...
                  d

Comment

TGIF Dilayne:l
                    :h :h :h :h

Comment

Amen Sister!! :0)

Comment

Thank you for your response; my mother's family were Catholic, but I assume I can go to any church? So, just walk in on Sunday and sit right down..
                        Thanks
                        blondie

Comment

Yep, that's it, no membership card necessary...you know what they say, "church is for sinners"...:0). I personally love the Episcopal church because it has all the ritual and beauty of the Catholic traditions, without the Catholic guilt. (sorry Catholics)...Oh, and they like their wine too. :0) ok, I'm probably wading into dangerous territory here...Have a lovely time Blondie...they say that one's desire to know God is given by the Holy Spirit...so you have been touched!
                          Love,
                          d

Comment

Blondie,
                            I'm so excited for you.
                            Please visit several churches with an open mind and as has been said here you will feel welcome.
                            It may take several "visits" to some to really get a feel for what they are about so don't give up easy.
                            There are other events at churches that will help you so look for those and attend some of them. This will give you more of an inner look at how they work.
                            This will also speed up your "education" on things of the "Spirit".
                            Try also to remember that Christians are not perfect...if we were we would not need anything else.We are all made of dust...humans made by God. Only He is perfect and sin-less.

Let us know how it goes ...
                            :h Nancy
                            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Good morning to you all,
                              Southernbelle, your comment of Christians not being perfect reminds me of the expression Christians aren't perfect just forgiven.

Blondie, it is a wonderful thing that is happening to you and you have been offered good advice here. Try before you decide.

I am a practising Anglican and only returned to church life about 7 years ago. In that time I have come to renew my baptismal vows, participated in Cursillo, Alpha and Catachauemate. All of these programs have helped to strengthen my faith.

Prior to coming to MWO 6 weeks ago I was in a dark place where my faith was seriously weak because of my drinking but God in His mysterious ways got out the lump of 4x2 and hit me around the head a few times to bring me to my senses. Actually he did it through one of our clergy with the most wonderful sermon based on Come into my Heart Lord Jesus Christ. He spoke from his own heart after a period of questioning his own strength of faith.

Through our priest I heard Christ calling me again and soon after that God arranged events and here I am. I believe that it would take intervention other than human to change my life.

Once you commit to God you will know that He lives through you. One journey is leading you to another greater journey.

God Bless
                              Diana
                              eace:

Comment

Working...
                              X