AF Daily - Tuesday, May 22th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning people, I'll slap out the coffees, everyone seems to have their heads down busy today so I'll do the honors

How we all doing out there?

Shue you're quite these days, all ok miss?
    "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Hi guys, I am a very tired Shue so I’ll take Sugar’s coffee and bring also an extra strong pot of French roast.

I am up since 3:00 AM – we had an earthquake (5.8 Richter – followed by several after-shocks, kind of one every hour). The Iraqis renting the house next door (ambassador + family) got really rattled having never been in an earthquake before, and spent the night outside making a racket . They thought they were being bombed first so they pressed some sort of alarm and we got all kind of strange “security” all over the place. That drove my dog INSANE …

Then I had to go extra early in work (I run 3 office buildings, among other things) and assess if they are fit for occupation. I inspected a few km of office floors together with the insurance company and our own security all before 8:30 AM. All is ok, we have minor damages – but it is amazing how much people have panicked. Honestly I felt like I should be distributing Valiums and slaps over the head.

I am a tough Romanian – have been in plenty of earthquakes and I know the drills quite well. Getting scared is OK, getting stupid I cannot stand. Hot heads of a few of my big tenants felt the need to grill me over our “earthquake evacuation” procedures – I asked them kindly to go read their thick American “procedure” manuals that their corporations have spent years developing and instruct their employees correctly - i.e. “do not evacuate in a mad rush, on the stairs, all at once in the middle of an earthquake “. I checked the security footage – we had 25 people on a single flight of stairs at the time … running. Thank God no one got hurt. I’ll show them that little movie later in my office. Oh, I really feel sorry for the poor people of the late shift that panicked and probably forgot all drills.

Rant over … this captain is going to get a cookie … and another coffee.

Needless to say … I could have never done all this had I ingested a bottle of vino the evening before.
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Good morning Sugar, thanks for the delicious coffee.

Green- I love your random posts. They crack me up.
      I'm with Lav, Kas and Det. Cauliflower's not too shabby. I roast mine too. But, Brussels sprout......EEK!

Kas- I'm a fan of kraut when it's on a rueben sandwich. Yum!

Papmom- thanks for the pink congrats. I really wasn't trying to be sly it's just 100 will be a biggie for me. I made it 3 months last year and then figured I could moderate- yeah right!!!

Dizzy- hope you are feeling better this morning. That sounds like a dreadful day.

Shue- where are you??????

The inspector was here for 3 1/2 hours. You'd think we had Hugh Hefner's mansion but we most certainly don't. We should hear back on it today.

Hi to all that stop, drop or roll on by.
      AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Cross post Shue- holy moly what a way to start your day. That's a little more than a caffeine jolt. Glad you're ok!
        AF since 2/22/2012

Comment

Good morning, Abbers.

SHue--you poor thing! That sounds like a big mess with stupid people, and it interrupted your sleep, to boot! You are amazing with all that you handle on a daily basis --and AF!!! I do admire you, girl! You are so right--trying to handle anything with a hangover or drunk would be a complete disaster!
          Almost--wow! That insepection must have been crazy!! I have fingers crossed for the successful sale of the house. Don't envy the move, though:upset: We only moved once, and I luckily didn't do much, but nearly sent Mr TDN over the edge!
          I didn't finish reading all the posts last night because I fell asleep at 10:00. Will go back and have a look now.
          Going for a walk soon, and myabe a meeting at noon. Depends on whether Mr TDN gets back in time. Out looking at more plants and mulch. My paltry pay checks are going fast with vet bills and flowers:H
          I will maybe post in meds or holistic healing section, but thought I'd ask here first. I am six months AF, but I seem to be really absent minded and sometimes seem unable to focus. An example: On Sunday, I got $20 at market when I used my debit card. I had only brought in my ATM card--no purse. I had the card with the $20 bill in my hand, remember thinking I'd throw away the receipt and did that in the outdoor trash buscket--but on Monday, started thinking about the money. Nowhere ti be found! I am thinking that I threw it away. I am trying to really focus on what I am doing, but it doesn't seem to be working in every case. I am wondering if it is a PAWS symptom, or if I might still be feeling side effects from the Paxil that I stopped over two weeks ago??? Any advice would be appreciated! I take all kinds of supplements, but mayb not enough Omega 3?
          Okay, back in a bit.
          :upset:TDN
          "One day at a time."

Comment

Good morning Abbers,

Happy Tuesday morning even though it's dark & damp again here

Thanks for the coffee sugar!

Goodness shue! Sounds like you really had a rockin start to the day!!!!!!
            Glad everything & everyone is OK! Your story reminded me of the major annoyance of having fire marshalls coming into the hospital, during change of shifts & pulling the fire alarms

Almost, glad your inspection is over. Just another one of those painful events we have to endure in order to sell our homes - been there & done it many times.

TDN, a touch of forgetfulness is completely normal & natural human thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Being over 29 can be kind of a pain in the butt sometimes
            I really wondered if I was completely fit to watch my grandkids safely but I've done just fine. I'm sure you are just fine as well!

I need to look for something to do inside again today.......hmmmm, I'm thinking baking/cooking.

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all

Late check-in for me. Thanks for the coffee, Sugar. (I see now that it is true what my mom said about ignoring nicknames, everytime I write your name I have to now consciously stop from writing Sugarbeatbutt just because you objected to it)

I'm afraid its another crappy day for me. My mood is just way down, I think its the Metformin playing havoc with my hormones Winter setting in big time and of course I woke up with the mother of all colds courtesy of our gardener yesterday.

But although curiosity has killed the cat, no one has died of the common cold and some garden variety hormonal upsets that I know of, so I decided to treat myself to a day in bed. I have some work for tomorrow and sometimes a day in bed helps speed up the recovery process. I gathered up 8 books, took it to my local Book Exchanged and managed to pick up 7 cool new ones for the same price as a new one would've cost. I'm all about reusing and reducing (no longer so sure about recycling although I still do it)

I do like ebooks but snuggling up with real ones in winter is someone sometimes more comforting.Most of you will laugh when you see the titles though. You can see its picked by a depressed sick women whose relationship is still going through a wobbly. Its all about Food is better medicine than drugs, You, The Owners Manual, Men are from Mars (I kid you not!) Committed, The follow up to Eat, Pray Love and then a Paleo recipe book and a London Travel Guide. Normally I'm a novel kind of gal but I have been wanting to go on a healthier eating plan for a while now so what better time to do homework while in bed with a cup of cocoa? Erm, I mean green tea?

Shue :l - I've never experienced an earthquake so I can just imagine how terrifying that must be. And good on you for looking at the positive side. Sometimes I wonder how we used to do anything with the amount of vino we had inside of us

The rest of the night crew - you had me giggles with your weird food posts and with the comments on the plumber bird. Thanks Papmom, I think the valve egg will do for now. Some of of the recipes sure sounded better than others... Shue, I think I'll actually like your dad's dish. Kaslo if that monster is in your backyard, I think you have a great way of having kiddies behave while they are little. Even I would be a bit wary of that if it was dark out...

Almost, so glad for your part the inspection is over. And we'll just have to make an extra whoohah on your 100th day. Its your party and you can celebrate when you want to! :h

TDN
              , unability to focus can be so many things, ask me, its no accident my nickname is Dizzy. LOL I'll start with whether you are getting enough sleep, whether you are eating enough and regular meals. It could be the Paxil. Good Omega 3 helps and sprouts are cheap excellent sources too. Some people swear by Ginko Biloba. Of course age and stress levels can play a role but I don't know you well enough to say if it is having an effect. I'll let you know if Patrick Holford's Food is better medicine than drugs is worth the buy.

Lav
              , I wish I had your problem. I have too much to do but am going to retire to bed now. And its almost 5pm so I guess I'm sucking at this taking it easy in bed day. I wish you were close by and I could convince you to make me a big bowl of veggie soup. (You'd have to be here in the cold, wouldnt dream of asking you to do it in the heat) Butternut soup with a bit of curry to warm up the body, perhaps a bit of ginger in there too.

Edit:
              I did just see that you too had a cold...perhaps you are just less of a wuss...

Pfft, enough with my wishful thinking, perhaps I get into bed now and put on a very good performance I can convince my brother to make me some chicken curry.

Have a good day y'all.

:h

Comment

Here it is ...just around 7 am in my part of the world...and our little world here is already abuzzz!

We've got Sugarbeat who is celebrating that big 90 day AF milestone....Almost is coming up on 100 days and Lav....I missed the party for your 3 years of Nictotine Free living. Congratulations to all for making those incredible life-changing changes!

TDN....here you are - 6 months plus out on living free of ethanol poisoning...but feeling punk. That's not necessarily unusual. The healing process takes time. Alcohol is a potent toxin that impacts every system in our body. Brain fog is certainly a symptom of some of the damage created by the overload of sugar and ethanol. The good news is that you ARE healing. And you are doing all the right things to continue that process. You're eating right. You're exercising. You are actively working to positively deal with the stress in your life. Dealing with the DUI....the job search...the new job....all put a load on you. Here's a link I found right here on MWO that has a lot of good info about long-term healing. It's worth the read:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...body-5138.html

Dizzy...you're doing a good job of listening to your healing body. Sounds like you've got some good books to hole up with while you're getting over this cold and the hormonal hump.

Shue! You poor thing! I only have to inspect my own place after a quake. I usually only start feeling REAL anxious if the shaking lasts over :30 seconds. I would appreciate your calmness around here - you may have another potential outlet for your talents....The Quake Whisperer. It is great that you can appreciate your ability to deal with the aftermath with a clear head.

Well...with that...I am off for my morning ride to....EARTHQUAKE Park. Seriously. It's the big chunk of land (with houses) here that slid into the Inlet during the '64 earthquake. It was 9.2 on the richter scale...strongest one ever recorded in North America. You can still see chunks of concrete from the homes that were destroyed. Just right outside the park people have rebuilt HUGE homes. They must figure we're all in trouble anyway once the ground shakes big. At least they'll have a nice view on their ride out to the ocean.
                Sober for the Revolution!
                AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

ooooh roooooo ABerooooos!

Shue, I admire that you keep your wits in 'out of parameter' situations. and love this line: Honestly I felt like I should be distributing Valiums and slaps over the head.
                  hahahahaha! indeed I get that feeling entirely too often.

Threedog, I'm with Lav on the forgetfulness thing... it just happens for me also. I don't know about paxil but many of the 'brain chemistry' family of drugs do indeed take quite a while for your body to readjust from. omega 3's are a great idea so long as they are from fish sources (flax omega 3 is a waste of money).

packing and shoving off for hotel land...... adios AF amigos y amigas

be well
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

Good morning Affies!

Thanks for getting us started today Sugar. Congrats on 90 days!

Shue--Holy moly, what a night you had! And the poor Iraqis. I can understand them being afraid. I hope you sleep well tonight.

Almost--Hugh Hefner's mansion! :H Positive vibes to you on the inspection.

TDN--Awww hugs to you. I'm absent minded too, although it does seem to be improving with the absence of alcohol. I take krill oil for my omega 3s but I also take astaxanthin for my brain. Astaxanthin is an antioxidant which is supposed to cross the blood-brain barrier.

Lav--Hope you get over your cold soon. Whatcha baking for us?

Dizzy--Sorry to hear that you're in a blue mood. I hope it passes quickly. :l

Turn--Earthquake park? Never heard of it but interesting that people rebuilt right there. Thanks for the article.

Deter--Regarding cauliflower I do what you said and use it as a rice substitute. I have a recipe out of a low carb cookbook for mushroom risotto made with cauliflower. You rice the cauliflower in a food processor, nuke it for 8-10 minutes with a couple tablespoons of water, then saut? it up with mushrooms and onions and chicken stock and seasonings. It's great. I also have a Frank Stella recipe for mock mashed potatoes made with cauliflower. I like it better than real potatoes! And the thing you'll love is that it has garlic in it. :H

I think I'm somewhere around Day 95 or so and I'm feeling fab! I've let my exercise plan and good eating go out the window though and I really need to get that back under control. I'm off work today but back at the grind tomorrow.

Have a great AF day all.

Comment

Morning Fab Abbers,

Have been MIA for a few days...crazy emotional stuff happening at the moment (all good..so dont panic!) and I have not had the emptional energy to read or post on the boards. thought I would check in a let you know that I am still here and may just lurk for the next week or so until it all setlles down.

I am so grateful that I am AF, if I was not, i would have stuffed this up big time or used AL to deaden/enhance it all. for the first time in my life, I know what I am feeling is REAL and not manufactured by consuming AL..such an enlightning feeling.

Looks like everyone is busy and happy and enjoying life

Wishing you all have a safe and sober day :l
                      xx

Comment

Mum - I'm so happy you stopped in....I was just thinking about you and wondering how it was going. You have a great tude....and some clear insight. If you need us....we've got your back, baby!

(((((Hugs)))))
                        Sober for the Revolution!
                        AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Mum2 glad your ok, come chat tonight? you too Turn!

Flyaway your low glycemic garlic mashed cauliflower sounds fab!

well, just checked into a smoking room because it's all that was left. icky!

ciao
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

hey, Kaslo is missing. send a St Bernard search dog up north...... woof?
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

I'll send my Piggy Swissy to look for Kaslo.
                              If Kas is carrying any food with her, Maxie will find her in a quick minute :H

I forgot about the garlic mashed cauliflower recipe - it's good

Do I hear accordian music?
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                              X