Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May Flowers - Week 4

Good morning everyone

Mentioning June names reminded me that we are in the last week of June.

Beautiful morning here, it is soooooo good to feel the sun for a change. Off to get my high definition brows done. Got the hair coloured yesterday, did my own manicure, pedicure and face mask last night so all set to wear my summer gear.

Papmom - your poor nephew. I really hope he did not have a nightmare visit to A&E. The health service here is a shambles, people on trollies in the corridors for days!!! The annoying thing is this was going on during the celtic tiger years, it is bad management and the poor patients and nurses etc. are having to bear the brunt.

OK enough of a rant. Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.

Rustop

May Flowers - Week 4

Good morning to all...

Pap, I am also at my heaviest weightwise, except for last month of pregnancy and it is soooo uncomfortable. I decided to start juicing again, and drinking lots of water. I am going to focus on feeling good, being aware of my body, I think sometimes we forget about being aware. But it sure isn't easy. Having said that, I still manage to fit into my clothes, just some are a little tight. Yuck.

Chill, I really admire your committment to exercise and eating well and in small portions. To be at a lower weight feels so good and to have control of your body is having control of your life.

Lav, yes the ToDo institute, I have read the books, am a member and will attend the conference. It just hit me that it is what I need, so much. As soon as you gave us the site (I don't know how to do that) I began reading and love mindfulness, being in the moment, and thought it would be so cool to immerse myself in a learning and to me spiritual experience, on my own. The self reflection, accountability to self and others, clean life style, all spoke to me. I have been struggling with current Catholic/christianity philosophy as it is so hateful towards women, gays, and is so Unchristian in so many ways. I cannot attend a church that tells me I cannot control my body, mind and that who you love will send you to hell. So unlike anything Jesus every said or did. This appears to be a philosophy and way of life that is gentle and at the same time holds you accountable to yourself, while showing you how the Universe supports you. Life affirming, kind, compassionate, stressing accountability...you have to look into it, I do not feel I am explainig in very well. Anyway, I am excited and have something to look forward to.

Rusty, good for you, it is great that you like what you are doing and have time to yourself. Sometimes we get so immersed in our worklife we have time for nothing else. Hence for me the four day work week. Thanks for sharing the vitaimins you are taking. Glad you are feeling good.

LBH, wow, the smoke from the fires sounds just awful, so sorry you have to go through it again. The weather in the Midwest is hot and muggy, with a chance of rain that we really need. Oh, well, I am just so glad it is summer and I love this time of year.

OK, better go, have to get ready for road trip, so I may not visit till Monday. You never know. Have a great day and so grateful to all of you.
    Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Good morning Rustop & everyone!

Matilda's 6:15 wake up time includes weekends

Waiting for the morning fog & mist to burn off. It will be quite hot & humid this weekend with thunder storms. Hope to get the burgers grilled without getting drenched or hit by lightening tomorrow :H

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Cross post Star!
        I'm so happy for you (and maybe a little jealous) just kidding......
        I wish you a wonderful time at the institute - they have so much to offer
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Hi everyone..a quick check in then off to pull some weeds up in this gorgeous sunshine. Rusty, you made me smile ...abt the BeeGees & their tight fitting pants..no wonder they sang so high!

Papmom, yes I got the Jason Vale book from Amazon, think a few people on the "what are we reading thread" have found its good to have a hard copy to refer back to when needed.

The juicer arrived yesterday..its a Philips wide chute aluminimum one from Jason's Juice Master site and its amazing!! You can literally put whole apples in it & dont need to chop everything up small!! (which is why I never used my old juicer-no comparison!). Got a free book with loads of really simple recipes eg 2 apples, 2 carrots, & a lemon & ice made the most refreshing juice! Early days but wld definitely recommend it!!

xx
          AF since 9 May 2012
          Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Morning all. Off to a toy dog show to support my friend from Maine.

Thanks for all the acknowledgments and encouragements. Just feeling low and overwhelmed right now. It's definitely the time of year and I will feel much better when I'm on vacation starting next Friday.

Found out this morning that the family in back of me (didn't really know them but we were all friendly enough) sold the house and I met the new owner-WITH 5 MOS OLD LAB!! Oiy!! Now I have dogs on all 3 sides of me and although I can probably afford to put in a stockade fence on the pit bull side, I can't afford it on the back side-too long. So, now I have to scan for dogs on all 3 sides before I let mine out. And of course the lab is black and there is no light in that yard. The good thing for now is the yard isn't fenced in on 1.5 sides but that is her first project. It's a 10K large yard so even if I scan she could be anywhere in the yard and I won't see her. DD isn't going to go wild as there nothing but chainlink between them. On the pitbull side he goes wild and there is 4 feet between the 2 fences. I'm about ready to cry. I can't sell as I'm under water so I'm stuck and I haven't found the training technique to keep him from being reactive. At least with the other two I can get them under control after about 5 min. The new owner seems friendly enough and we did exchange work schedules verbally but once all 3 are trying to get through the fence at her new pup night after nite it's going to be all over. Like I said, I'm about to cry.

Anyway, got to keep going or I'll be late.
            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Happy sunny Saturday everyone

Rusty - I just choked on my coffee over your comment on the Bee Gees giving directions :H
              (Bouv she did warn you!)

LBH - So sorry to hear of the fires, I empathize with your sadness over the loss of wildlife and nature.

Star - the ToDo institute is a new one on me I will have a google at it.

Papmom - Im sorry about your weight, and you too Star, it's a hard cycle to get out of and I agree with Lav that sugar is just so addictive. If it wasn't such a multi zillion $ industry it would be a class A drug. It kills more people than heroin, alcohol and cigarettes put together.Like LBH said unhealthy food needs to be treated like AL and I make sure it's not in the house otherwise I'd eat it.

One of the key things that has worked for me is starting the day with as much fiber as possible which is filling and suppresses my appetite for longer. I eat a large bowl of porridge oats for breakfast with no sugar or salt made with soya milk and topped with blueberries.

Janice - I'm jealous of your juicer! I'm a big Jason Vale fan and loved his book "slim for life". When I ever get my own kitchen again I will definitely buy one. In my search to cure my arthritis I discovered that a detox on juicing can have a huge impact on symptoms.

Lav - wish you could send me Matilta, I was wide awake early this morning and ready go for our walk and had to wait for Elle to get out of bed!

Off out to enjoy the sunshine........
              "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
              AF - JAN 1st 2010
              NF - May 1996

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

X post Papmom - please don't be upset, I'm sending my biggest virtual hug :l
                Would it not be affordable to put up some kind of low cost fencing and split the cost with all the neighbors?
                "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                AF - JAN 1st 2010
                NF - May 1996

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Good Morning Guys!

It's almost noon here and I am still in my bathrobe, drinking coffee, watching NCIS reruns and smiling, thinking about the possibilities I have today, knowing that I can enjoy this day without a hangover, knowing that I can do anything I want today because I will not be drinking. Someone on another thread this morning said that he thought drinking gave him the courage to do tasks he didn't want to do, but in reality, all drinking did was help him avoid accomplishing those tasks. Wow, that hit home with me. He is so right.

Star-I am so thrilled that you are going to the "To Do Institute." I am going to Google it and learn more. Even though I am still a practicing Catholic, I struggle with the same "principles" you do and good for you for finding a philosophy and a mindful site that is parallel with your thinking. Congratulations to your son for having a stable job and moving out on his own. I totally get why he wants to travel and room with a woman. It's safe for him, isn't it? He knows he won't be pressed into a relationship, and he doesn't have to worry about people questionning his sexuality, as people will probably assume your son and his roommate are a couple. He doesn't have to fear persecution for being gay. I think it's a wise and brave move. Also, I was so totally WRONG about Pure Encapsulations. You don't have to go through your doctor, you can buy it online. I just checked.

Papmom-I feel so badly that now you have to get fencing to protect your pups. It's one thing after another that you are battling with.....big hugs to you.:l I am glad your vacation starts soon....if there's anyone who deserves a break, it's you.

Janice-Have you read The Glass Castle? It's a memoir by Jeannette Taylor. I read it on the plane and couldn't put it down. She describes her life (many years she and her family were homeless) and the devastation, caused by her eccentric mother and alcoholic father. She also talks about the funny adventures she had in her childhood with her family as they were forced to live a nomadic lifestyle. It is really not depressing. She has a wonderful sense of humor, and it's very understated, but powerful. Her writing style and mode of expression remind me of Ladybirdheart.

Lav-what are you doing today? I know you have the cookout tomorrow.

Well, I should probably decide what I'm going to do today.:H

A shoutout to Cyn-I hope you're well. Please check in with us.

To everyone, have a fabulous AF Saturday!!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all who are celebrating!

Lav/Bouv - thank goodness for this little bit of a breeze - I'm not quite ready for the heat and humidity yet.

Pap - so sorry about your neighbor's dog situation - I consider myself very fortunate that there are no dogs right around where we live but we still have to keep them on leashes, otherwise they'll run for hours. Maybe you and your neighbors can all get together and work out something that would be best for all of you? Sorry - don't know the exact situation and I know sometimes neighbors can be very tricky Anywho, keep your chin up and hope it all works out!

Rusty - nothing wrong with staying in your pj's until noon. I think sometimes we really need that down time.

Hubby and I walked our dogs last night for about 2 1/2 miles - kicked my butt but I definitely need the exercise and so did the doggies. Ticks are absolutely horrible! Pulled 5 off of me before I jumped into the shower.

Rustop - are high definition brows the ones that are done with the strings? I always thought that looked so fascinating but never had it done. Good for you and sounds like you are nice and pretty & pampered!

Star - I know how frustrating it is when you struggle with weight - it's never been a huge issue for me but when your pants are not comfortable and clothes just don't look right, it's time to do something - no matter what your weight is. I'm finding the older I get, the harder it is to take off extra weight :upset::upset:

Janice - good luck with the weeding! Just went out and trimmed my parsley plant - love fresh parsley and basil - my two favorites herbs! Wanted an herb garden this year (I say that every year) but I'm just settling for plants in pots for now.

Church tomorrow morning and then going to my cousins graduation party tomorrow afternoon and YAY - there won't be any AL at the party.

Peace to all and hope you have a great weekend!
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Jolie......you are coming up on 5 months!:goodjob: I think of you a lot. I love Maryland. When I was in graduate school, I loved to go Fredericksburg (shopping) and Inner Harbor. Have fun at the graduation party and whoo whoo, no AL at the party. AL was NOT invited! :happy::yay: Jolie/Bouv/Lav, it's supposed to be 95 degrees here tomorrow.

Well, I did get dressed but I have not done anything exciting, and that's ok. I spent the better part of the afternoon writing letters to the adult children of a dear woman who befriended me several years ago. She died a horrible death of oral cancer. Years of cigarettes and vodka. She was so good to me, and yet, I struggled with her priorities.....she looked a lot younger than she was....because with the cigs, she hardly ate, and she took pride in her shapely figure. She liked to boast that she would not give up her martinis and her cigarettes. In the end, it did her in, at the age of 80.

Ok, now off to work out....it's been Procrastination Rusty today!:H

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Good Sunday morning May friends

Big storms going on just north of here so I'm still hoping to get the BBQ in this afternoon - we shall see. It will be nice to play with Ms Lily today regardless

Rusty, reading about your friend reminds me of the choices my older brothers continue to make despite their major health problems. They continue to believe they 'deserve' to have their smokes & drinks. There is absolutely no talking to them either, I have tried

Well, Ms Matilda got me up at 6:15 as usual & is now taking a nap at 7:15. That kinda sucks because I'm now on my 2nd cup of coffee & just getting revved up :H

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday, will check in tonight!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Hi guys,
                          How are you all, I have missed you and do think of you all often, I?ve tried reading back but I am so far behind now it?s impossible to keep up, however Rusty you completely had me doubled up with your Bee Gees comment!! Papmom so sorry I missed your 2 year celebration but you know I am with you because I know it?s a very special occasion for you.

Well life is good with me and my family, I am really enjoying the time with them and the opportunity to relax and take it easy, however I have struggled a bit with all this free time and I seem to have a mountain of? to do? lists, I also have had an uncomfortable amount of anxiety when I am not ?working? ? where the hell does that come from. I am also acutely aware that I have been on that hamster wheel of work for too long and it will probably take me a while before I can completely chill out and be me. I find it very unsettling to be honest but will eventually sort myself out I am sure.

I have decided to take at least three months off ? well I have worked my backside off since I left school so I think I deserve a bit of time to myself (I just need to explain that to my overactive brain!). My garden is looking great for the first time in years and I?ve planted a vegetable patch with potatoes, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, cabbage, asparagus, red onions, spinach, lettuce, spring onions, radishes, loads of strawberries, a blackberry bush, a gooseberry bush and lots of sugar snap peas and broad beans along the back wall. The grandkids love it and are so happy as I have given them all a little patch with their own plants (of course I tend them myself to make sure they are all good).

Anyway I just wanted to drop by and catch up with you all, let you know that I am well and haven?t forgotten about you, this site and especially this thread is a wonderful, wonderful supportive bunch of amazing people.

Love to you all,

Dewdrop :h
                          Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Hello Miss Dew!! Sooooo good to hear from you and to hear all is well!

I take it that you have retired from your job and these 3 months off will give you some time and space to plan your next chapter?

I am very envious of your veggie garden!! Mine is now a meadow and although is probably loaded with ticks, it might also be a haven for butterfly and dragonflys so I will let it go this year. It is fenced in so my precious pups can't meander through it and get bit. I just have to keep the grass up against the fence trimmed. Please take pics when you can-esp of the grandkids enjoying their peace of heaven if you feel comfortable enough to do so.

I hope you will pop in once a week or so and keep up up to date. I'm also gald that retirement hasn't slowed you down!!

:h
                            New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

May Flowers - Week 4

Well, hello Dewdrop - was just thinking of you a few days ago
                              Glad you are enjoying your time off. Your garden sounds wonderful. Please stay in touch & we do enjoy a picture from time to time

papmom, are you off all day today?
                              I am leery of ticks - YB had Lymes disease 11 years ago & I swear it fried his brain
                              There are all sorts of bizarre side effects of Lymes disease......
                              Stay away from those ticks!!!

Had my daughter, SIL & Ms Lily here (YB too). Son & his family are with friends today.
                              We had a combo dinner of vegan foods & regular stuff ~ very good!
                              My daughter made black bean burgers from scratch (delicious). I made a Tex Mex 7 layer dip, an Israeli Couscous summer salad that was loaded with veggies, herbs & apricots, baked beans & cheesecake stuffed strawberries - ALL VEGAN & they were all awesome

Ok, I'm going to get my stuffed self to bed early tonight. I spent 13 hrs on my feet today & they are tired. Wishing everyone a great night!
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X