Dying for a Cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dying for a Cure

This is a must read if you suffer from depression or know someone who does.
    DYING FOR A CURE: It's a new book out by Rebekah Beddoe, Printed by Random House AUsatralia.
    A memoir of Rebekahs dramatic downhill slide after being continually mis-diagnosed and given inappropriate cocktails of drugs including Zoloft, Lithium, Valium, Luvox, Zyprexa ETC ALL AT THE SAME TIME.. She ended up having shock therapy, made a number of attempts on her life, contracted diabetes , and akathisia. All because she was given Zoloft, and no -one noticed her rapid decline and thought to blame it on the drug. Instead they (psychiatrists) kept upping the dose and adding more drugs to her body.

At the back is a Bibliography and Further Reading: I'll include a few as you may be interested :

Peter Breggin: Tha Antidepressant Fact Book: What your doctor won't tell you about Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa and Luvox: Perseus Publishing Massachusetts 2001.
    There are also others by him I think he has a website.

Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels: Selling Sickness: how drug companies are turning us all into patients. Allen & Unwin Sydney 2005

David Healy: Let them eat Prozac: New York Uni Press 2004

Robert Whitaker: Mad in America: bad science, bad medicine and the enduring mistreatment of the mentally ill. Basic Books, Massachusetts 2003.

If any Aussies want a lend of the book, PM me and I'll post it to you. Long as I get it back.
    Fran

Dying for a Cure

wow, Rags, that is absolutely frightening...

I have somewhat of a phobia about doctors i have to admit. i should go for a checkup once in a while but can't usaully bring myself to do so.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Dying for a Cure

Hey Fran,

I'd be too scared to read this book right now! However, I do think I now have excellent doctors who have really cottoned on to what's happening to me, and has been for a long time. The medications are starting to work (the new ones) and it is making me feel better - I guess that's how you tell it's not all in your Doctor's head!

Bipolar disorder can be terrifying, depression can ruin lives, and these drugs can help those who really need them. It can be hit and miss, and you need therapy other than meds, but I do believe they help. I also believe they are over prescribed...a bit of stress at the office - here take a pill.

That's the problems with western culture - we want a fix and we want it now - recovering from or stabilising with a mental illness is a long road, it's not all pills and happiness.

Cashy
      xxx
      "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
      X