Alcohol and Athletic Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, for those of you who read my Sunday Monthly Abs post, you know that I was very nervous about doing my cycling race today.

Well, the race went far better than I ever could have expected, and I attribute it all to being AF!! I was able to improve my 10K cycling time by over a minute, while at the same time having a max heart rate that was 15 bpm lower throughout the race (my max HR last time was 191, this time it was 175). In other words, by going AF I was able to train my heart to work more efficiently, allowing my body to produce more power with much less effort!

I think I'm on to something here! BTW - I finished second in my category...
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Awesome!! Athlete, one thing I've noticed about the booze affecting me athletically, is the stamina. I could still play ball, lift, and do a lot of things. But I just run out of steam so fast. Congrats on your performance.
    where does this go?

Comment

super AAthlete! I miss cycling although I never got into road biking seriously. I have an old Dawes galaxy from England (really dated design now) but it's here and paid for so I should get it to the shop for a tuneup and go pound some pavement. Morrison you are on-the-money about alcohol killing our cardio. Mine's bad enough as it is!
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

AAthlete. What a buzz that must be.
        Well done.

Comment

AA,
          That's great. 15 BPM is very very good, and will get better. I started my training to-day. Have started to lose weight, am doing light weights, walking and static bike. My BP is pretty good for my age but my resting pulse fluctuates between 59 and 71. It used to be 52, but I can't see me ever getting down that low again. But hey, we're talking about yopu, not me.
          That your heart doesn't have to work as hard throughout the race is going to reap you huge benefits as far as stamina and maintaining a constant pace and leaving you with enough energy for the final sprint..
          Gaining a whole minute is excellent. And your body will have rid itself of most of the garbage by now, so will be building itself up again.
          I like competing, but I love it when I win or place. You must be stoked.
          Don't be nervous. Nervous detracts from what you need to do.
          As my (then) coach said to me years ago: Believe in yourself, believe in your ability. Trust yourself.
          4 months later I set a new state record, and broke into master grade at the same time.

Rags.

Comment

AA Very well done!!!

You have done a tremendous job channeling you self to achieve and have launched a blow to the old alcohol devil.

Again you are an inspiration..

Congratulations!!!
            Control the Mind

Comment

AAthlete, I know very little about cycling. My sport of choice is the gym - can't fall off a stationary bike! I am so impressed with your accomplishments - I would love the aspect of the competion. I thought about taking up walking or running in a marathon but can't because my feet are an arthritic mess (found that out the day after my 50th birthday - talk about feeling old). Biking seems like it would be a great competitive sport. How did you start training.

Congratulations on being second! You rock!

Comment

wwbarb, I'm a little lucky in that I ride for a team that is sponsored, in part, by a bike shop that is less than a mile away and we have a certified coach. I used to do triathlons, but like your foot, my knee started giving me issues so I switched over to cycling full-time.

Not sure where you are at in Arizona, but great place to go riding and there are probably a ton of clubs around that could help you get started. A couple you might check out are azcycling.com , GABA - Greater Arizona Bicycling Association: Home Page and Bicycling in Arizona.

The great thing about clubs (I belong to two of them) is that they have organized rides that have pace groups geared to all levels of riders. You can go out for a nice easy ride, or train for a race if you wanted to.

Hope that helps a little. Oh, and thanks to everyone for their support - it means the world to me! :thanks: :thanks:

ADDENDUM TO EVERYONE: In our Time Trial Series, we have 15 people over the age of 60 who compete - and the oldest is over 80 and is an Ironman! You're never too old!
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Right Arm AA!:goodjob: How exciting placing 2nd! Great for you on the time improvement too!
                  That's amazing, someone over 80 still racing! My Grandma's 98... she doesn't race or bike ride, but when she decides to go after something... ya better get outa her way! She doesn't waste any time between here, and there!:H
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Great job AA--you inspired me to get back to the gym myself! I used to do at least four times a week until.....but I'm back, at least for a week! That's a start. And AF for ten days now -- a new world record for me, for a while....

Good for you!
                    sri

Comment

Good on you Sri. Extend that world record so no one can beat it!!!
                      rags.

Comment

Conratulations AA!!!!!! Great job!!!!!

I am an avid spinner and I love it in the winter when the bikers can't ride outside so they come in and spin.Are you able to ride outside in Chicago in the winter??????

Your an ispiration!!!

Janet

Comment

Thanks, Janet - and I love the sheep!

I do ride outside in the winter, as long as the temperature is above freezing. Talk about taking layering to the max - I wear...

Cycling Shorts
                          Leg Warmers
                          Wool Socks
                          Windproof Cycling Pants
                          Long-Sleeve UnderArmor Base Shirt
                          Cycling Jersey
                          Arm Warmers
                          Windproof Cycling Jacket
                          Gloves
                          Cycling Shoes
                          Windproof Shoe Covers
                          Full Head Cover
                          Helmet
                          Glasses

Good God - I'm tired just typing the the list!!

BTW - I'm out in your neck of the woods next week (25th - 2nd) for software training, any good clubs that you can steer me too for spin classes? I have to race again a week from this coming Sunday... I'll be in Waltham.

Comment

AA,
                            Sorry it's taken me a while to re-post.
                            I'll pm you tomorrow with the names of some gyms in Waltham. I think you'll have your choice of gyms to pick from in the area and most of them offer spin.
                            Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X