Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Dear All,

This is a TOPA survey, which will hopefully benefit all of us, and maybe also future members and hopefuls that want to start on the road of either moderation or abstinence.

As TOPAMAX works differently depending on the person, probably weight, age, gender, etc, I will try to give you a profile of myself (which you do not have to exactly follow in your post if you do not want to share that info). It just makes it easier for people to sort of gauge where there are in the stream of time, after their first dosage of TOPA. I'm into my 4th week of TOPA. I'm a 35 year old male, 75 kgs.

125 mgs (50 mgs in the morning, 75 mgs in the afternoon)
    I'm into my 4th week of TOPA
    Side effects: Not too heavy, only tingling in the feet, sometimes memory blanks, and looking for words, but it's less dramatic if you're prepared for it (I'm taking my i-pod to meetings to avoid total blanks) Metallic taste, came to abhor my most favourite beverage champagne.

Success: Only today the cravings have lessened a bit. So, I'm all in all hopeful.

Please note that apart from multi-vitamins, I'm not taking any other supplements or do hypno-therapy.

Best,

Paddy
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Hey Paddy,
    I still take topa. I have played with the dose over my 8 months after following the orginal directions up to 200mg.
    Now I take 150 mg in the am only.
    No side effects at all - none. I used to experiance most all like brain fog, loss of words, tingeling, very tired and that kinda stuff. Now Ijust sleep pretty good and thats it. I did lose weight but gotta be careful with my stress lately cuz I tend to comfort eat. I lost about 35 lbs but have recently gained about 7 of them back. I really dont have cravings all except for in my head. But the topa has ruined my taste for beer. So I dont drink cuz I know it wont taste good.
    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Hi Paddy,

I think this is a good idea. I started following the program exactly as RJ has outlined in the book back in July...this included the supplements, topa, hynotherapy, and exercise. I got up to 150mg of topa and stopped there. I had all the usual side effects from the topa the first couple of weeks...tingling hands/feet, metallic taste in mouth, word recall problems, tired, etc. That is completely gone now.

I don't have cravings for alcohol at all. I have chosen moderation and am able to drink 1-3 drinks and stop.

I am a 37 year female, 5' 6". When I started the topa I weighed 150 lbs., but have lost 25 lbs.

I hope this is helpful. --LFB

Comment

LFB, how long have you been takin topa?

Comment

Just started topa last week so will be interested in the development of this string. Not yet experiencing any side effects....doing all the sups, CDs, etc. Am experiecing lack of hunger. Will track weight.
          sri

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting so far. It's my second day without cravings. I will still try to work myself up to 150 or maybe 200 mgs just to see the effect.
            Paddy
            Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Hi Gabby,

I have been on topa since July 2006...I leveled at 125mg in September and then bumped up to 150mg at the end of the year. --LFB

Comment

Oh! This thread is soooo hopeful! I had just reread RJs book and the fact that she and her friend her both craving free right out of the gate. Like sri I am in my second week and on Topa 50 mg and no real reduction in craving tho' a little reduction in drinking just cuz I feel I must since I am commited. I so hope I can be like LFB and moderate. Also really hope other folks add their Topa experiences with specifics about when it "kicked in" for them, age, weight etc....wonder if those factors make a difference. I am of an age to be LFB's mother and about 160lbs at 5'5". Hoping and praying for the best for all of us!
                Jenn
                Jenn
                "I fought against the bottle, but I had to do it drunk."
                Leonard Cohen

Comment

Oh yeah specifics -- I am 5"7 52 yrs female 170# 50 mgs now and experiencing reduced cravings. On Topa since last Thursday. Dr. started me on 25mg. bumped up to 50 mg. on Sat. No side effects I notice yet....
                  sri

Comment

...also not drinking at all though - day 12 AF so far....
                    sri

Comment

Hi guys
                      I started topa around Sept or so last year and didnt really feel a "real effect" until about 175 or 200 mg when I felt a "click" and the cravings diminished a lot.
                      Then I tapered down because I was feeling tired etc. Big mistake cause the cravings came right back.
                      So now I am on 175 mg again and plan to go back up to 200 mg today or tomorrow. The cravings are still here and there but I am finding I can go AF during the work week with little problems (would never have been able to do that before). For me, the "cravings" are more psychological/etc. I tend to be a "partier" so the weekends are harder for me esp. if others are going out to "party".
                      I am 5'11 and 140 lbs.
                      Love all
                      Jen
                      Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

I should add that I kept bumping up by 25mgs until I didn't have cravings anymore. That was when I stopped at 125mgs. in September. I also think that the hypnotherapy had a lot to do with my ability to moderate. I increased my dosage at the end of the year because I seemed to start enjoying my last glass of wine a little bit too much (usually number 2 or 3). The additional 25mgs which took me up to 150mg per day has seemed to do the trick. I also started back with the hypno on a regular basis.

--LFB

Comment

good goin SRI!!!!!! I have completly stopped drinkin since I started topa - you can too!

Comment

Hello All:
                            Started Topa Last week (25mgs) and bumped up to 50mgs this past Monday. No decrease in cravings but have experienced some side effects. Had the tingling in my fingers this morning but it passed quickly and my lunchtime Diet Pepsi tastes like dog poop. Really, I can't even drink two sips and usually I love the stuff. Figures I would get the side effects and none of the benefits!! Just kidding, I am not giving up. I will keep increasing the dosage until it works. I'm 44, female, 5'10', and no where near self confident enough to tell you my weight. Maybe after the Topa kicks in and I lose 25-30 pounds LOL!!!
                            So happy to hear these success stories. Keep up the good work all of you. Hugs, hugs, and more hugs!!!
                            Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Hi all, I think this is a great poll, good for newbies to let them know that the Topa does work for some people, and good for us who've been on it for awhile, just to see how everyone else is doing!

Me, I'm 44, lost 15lbs, drink maybe 1 or 2 glasses of wine every 2 weeks (from 1 big bottle a day), but for the most part abstinent. Have been on Topa since last August. I'm staying at 200mg. Never went past 200, tried going down to 150mg, but had the cravings return. So 200mg is good for me. I take it all in the eveings. Have a bit of tingling in the feet and fingers, mostly the feet, and have just gotten used to it I guess. Not as bad as it was. Still at a loss for words at times. I'd rather have that problem, then have the problem with alcohol

Comment

Working...
                              X