Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - June 4 - June 10

Everyone:

I started this thread, hit something on my computer, & lost it. Anyhow, I'll start again.

I've been busy w/fun stuff: kayaking, socializing, etc. I've missed some meetings, & they are the mainstay of my sobriety. So, today I am:
    -doing my readings.
    -expressing gratitude for my sobriety.
    -going to a meeting.

I cannot forget where I came from. I relapsed all the time, because I told myself that I could "have just one." When I go to meetings share & listen, I know I cannot do that. I have to stay on track. Without sobriety, I cannot enjoy life.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

I went to 2 speaker meetings Mon. & Tue. Last night's speaker was especially good in his description on how he uses the steps on a daily basis. It can be tempting to think that we "do" the steps once & then that's it. He emphasized that the steps are a living part of the program & can be accessed at any time. Mary
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi every1
      Mary wish i could do kayaking with you, sounds like your enjoying the full sobriety of life!! Love it .x
      I think i need to work at myself again feel like am going of track a bit, you know when ppl say ur replase happens months b4 u pick that drink up, it soo true i can feel myself unbalance in a wired way.....
      Am off work at the moment with my joints in pain hoping that they be able to give me the right treament for the pain to go away, so i can go back to work . Need the money i will be having a baby granddaughter born at the end of this month soooo looking forward to it big time

Take care all :l x
      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Catch: I think I've heard that too: a person "plans" in advance a relapse. I think recognizing the signs & doing something could be of help. I've been slacking off meetings due to general busyness. So, now, I'm making a special effort to get to meetings...especially ones I don't usually go to.

Last night I went to a meeting on step 7. I thought about staying home & relaxing in front of the TV. But, it was only an hour meeting & it was close to home, so I went. I'm glad I did. I got to think about my character defects which are still w/me. I can see that working on them & asking HP to remove them will be a lifelong project for me.

I do think that we can prevent relapse by doing what we know works:
        -going to meetings.
        -working the steps.
        -staying in touch w/other AAers.
        -being grateful for our sobriety.

We wouldn't have kayaks today if I weren't sober. It would be "too much of an effort." I would be wasting time, energy, & money drinking instead.

Mary
        October 3, 2012

Comment

I was working outside of St. Louis this week and found a 7am meeting yesterday. I left the hotel with plenty of time but had omitted a digit from the address. About 710am I think f@&? it, I'm not going. Immediately my mind flashed to 5 years ago when I was in Chicago and walking a mile in the snow and ice to buy a 12 pack of Bud to carry the mile back to my hotel. So I gave a little more effort and found the meeting. Of course it was great. Sometimes my mind is a terrible thing.
          Love and Peace,
          Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

phil: Yesterday we went kayaking, & on the way back home, we passed a neighborhood "watering hole." It was a gorgeous day, & when I looked inside as we passed, I saw people sitting around a bar in the smelly, dingy, dark interior. A few short years ago, kayaking would have been way, way too much trouble. I would have been in my house on a beautiful day getting sloshed. What do we give up when we stop drinking? Wasting our time, our money, our physical & emotional health, our spirituality, our relationships, etc. For today, I'm free of all that.

Mary
            October 3, 2012

Comment

Good words Mary.
              For me surrender equals freedom.
              Love and Peace,
              Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Working...