Friday, February 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday, February 23

It?s becoming clearer to me now, after a few months sober, just how much of a rut I was in during my drinking years. I mean, I knew I was in a bad routine: drink, get drunk, and have remorse over and over and over. Yep, that?s a rut. Add to that trying to quit and failing over and over and over ? and feeling like a failure and reinforcing that feeling time and time again ? and you have a person who starts out feeling pretty low and spirals downward. It?s amazing that I was able to keep it up as long as I did.

What I didn?t realize, and what is just now beginning to come into focus as the fog lifts, is the extent to which I had become paralyzed in many areas of life. It?s not just that I felt like a failure in terms of quitting drinking. I was stuck in a rut of not venturing out to try things, not attempting to do things that I really wanted to do, for fear of failure ? or perhaps for fear of success. Instead of actually doing anything with life, I would drink (or in some cases I would find alternative addictive behaviors to distract me) and never face reality. I stayed locked in a tiny little world, never leaving my comfort zone, never venturing out to see what might be.

I was one of those people who always talked about the grand things I?d do ?one day.? I?d buy a house, I?d travel the world, I?d learn to ski, etc. etc. etc. These were all things that I really wanted to do, at least at one time in my life. I remember when I was 18 everything seemed possible to me ? and of course it was. I had plans of doing things like living in a foreign country, learning other languages and cultures, and maybe even learning to fly a plane. Somewhere along the way these things just became unimportant or impossible to me. Why???

I suppose it?s natural to have big dreams when you?re 18, and for those dreams to be tempered as you age. At 38 I am a little more concerned with things like health coverage and retirement plans than I was 20 years ago. But where along the way did I decide that things were just impossible for me?

If I look back, things started becoming impossible for me when I stopped believing in myself, when I stopped respecting myself, when I stopped honoring this life and this body that I?ve been given. And it didn?t happen overnight. It took years. It was a small choice here, another one there. During my 20?s I started giving up on myself in little ways, settling for the comfort that alcohol offered to get me through. And it worked, at least for a while.

But of course you cannot rest in that state if you know there?s something better. And of course there?s something better. There is living in a way that you can look yourself in the mirror. There is being able to get up in the morning and remember the night before. There is meeting the responsibilities of the day with your own strength. And there is stepping outside your comfort zone ? reaching for something outside your reach ? and believing enough in yourself to do it. Maybe I do need to be concerned with health coverage and retirement plans ? I?d be a fool not to be, I suppose ? but that doesn?t mean I need to be afraid to take risks and try new things.

For so long I kept myself ?busy? with alcohol: drinking, trying not to drink, failing at trying not to drink, etc. Now that I?m finally getting somewhere with this recovery business ? and I?ve only just begun ? I can see that I have a whole world out there waiting for me. I can see that nothing is impossible if I choose to do it.

It?s as if there?s a river inside me that?s been dammed for a long time. The biggest boulder in the dam was alcohol, and that?s been removed. There are still other boulders there, restricting the water?s flow, but at least it?s flowing. And it?s gaining force.

Thanks for reading my musings.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Friday, February 23

Mike,

Very well said, and I am realizing the very same things. I'm just in the beginning stages but now I read at night instead of being passed out. I remember what I read...what I did or watched, or said...
    It is and can be a whole new world....

Keep on one day at a time my friend....
    Control the Mind

Comment

Friday, February 23

Good morning Mike & Others!

Funny thing you mention 'fear'. I am having problems dealing with fear of achieving anything right now. As my fog is lifting and I have all of this wonderful opportunity to get going in my life, I sit here immobilized with fear. The way you explained it makes perfect sense to me. Being stuck in a rut for so long, I don't know where to begin right now. I know I feel so much better physically and mentally being AF but I have this overwhelming fear of failure.

What am I so scared of? Where do I begin? I have a lot to think about this weekend in regards to getting going again. I need to find deep within me what it will take to get motivated. I need to tell myself I deserve to be here as anyone else does. I need to start working on my confidence/self-esteem issues. I need to stop hiding and start living.

So that is my project this weekend. Some self discovery. More affirmations, and psych myself up to get moving forward in my life. I definitely don't want to be stuck in this rut forever. I didn't give up the sauce to sit here and hide. I did enough of that while I was drinking. Seems like such a waste now that I am sober.

Thanks for your post. You always offer such valuable insight. Fear is something I need to deal with. I simply need to start dealing with everything. :l

Comment

Friday, February 23

Hi Mike:

Know exactly what you mean.

I saw my chest x-ray from last week after the physical. Comparing it to one from 4 years ago. Amazing!

The doc says my risk for lung cancer or emphysema should be to normal after just a couple of years. That is good news, as most who simply quit, and don't go on a major program of supplementation, diet, and exercise take about 5 years. He says I look a hell of a lot better, and the sounds coming from within are strong.

I can run 3 miles now. Want to do 6 mile (a 10K) by the end of this year.

You have a good 10 years on me, Mike! If I can do it, you can do it!

My self-respect is getting better every day. Sometimes it comes in a rush of wellness, after a several week period of "blahs". I have never snow skiied in my life, but now I know I will, and that I can!

Shifting gears, Mike. Shifting gears.

Neil

Comment

Friday, February 23

I know how cool is it to have a clear mind or should I say clearer my mind is a bit fried around the edges. Mike I envy your being 32 just a little I regret is not having the demeanor and tools to do something about my drinking until I was 49. I’m now 50 and my body and mind are not as flexible as I’d like. As time marches on the intensity of the temptation of drinking is less and less. One challenge that I face from time to time is having no way to unwind, but oh well a small price to pay for staying alive. It’s also nice not to be so self absorbed with the guilt the constant nagging of needing a drink and those godforsaken hangovers. When I don’t have enough sleep or get depressed I think “hey this is nothing compared to a hangover.”
          Neil that’s great about your x-ray!!
          You guys rock!
          spacie

Comment

Friday, February 23

Once again great posts by MikeUpNorth and XTexan. You guys are an inspiration to me and I suppose many others.
            Thanks,
            Phil
            Still in Texas
            Love and Peace,
            Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Friday, February 23

Thanks for the inspiration folks

All of you.
              :l

Comment

Friday, February 23

Mike, Thanks for the great post. I've been struggling and you really gave me some inspiration. Aquamarine
                NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Friday, February 23

Great post Mike! I loved reading and thinking about the things you said. Especially the dams - that word really describes all the blockages that happen almost without our realizing. Maybe every drink is like a little beaver bringing another branch to the dam - it builds up so slowly & imperceptibly. Then one day it's a dam to be reckoned with! That damn dam! Luckily it all unravels beautifully when we finally give it a chance to.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
                  Deirdre

Comment

Friday, February 23

MIke,

I am just beginning - at 57 days AF to know what you are talking about. You are - as always- a shinging light far down the path - a light to look toward and feel assurance and a measure of security. The last week I have been more secure with Af and have cast around in my life to sweep cob webs from corners and shine windows in dark back rooms of my psyche. It feels good - Not something to rush into. Something to savor and experience with grateful amazement. Amazement that I am able to turn the focus first from the dreaded cycle of self poison - then to assuring those first days and weeks stayed AF - focusing on the CDs and reading posts - now - now to have a full life a joyful life and a life I am able to start to look at and want to spruce up a bit. It is a gift a joyful treasured gift I am guarding and savoring.

I am honored to be in the company of all of you.

Thank you.
                    River

Comment

Friday, February 23

Wow. Very thought-provoking. I've thought the same thing many times...about alcohol, trying not to drink, failing, feeling remorse over and over. Your post really gave me a sense of hope that even if the potential for a better, more fulfilling life starts out as only a trickle, that's okay. I like the whole visualization thing of boulders being removed as drinking in moderation or not drinking at at allows us to refocus on all the dreams and aspirations we had before drinking took over our lives.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Julie

Comment

Friday, February 23

This is a very insightful thread, and very relevant to many people myself included.
                        I am planning to see a hypnotherapist in a month to look at self esteem issues, I have had low self esteem for years, I am nearly 34 now and have struggled with fear of success/failure/standing out/wanting to stand out for years.
                        I have always felt dull deep down but really I think i felt repressed, mainly by myself and lack of confidence,fear. i don't have any hobbies and have labelled myself as uncreative, yet when i was younger I was told several times i had a talent for writing. I too feel stuck in needing a monthly salary, i have a mortgage, i have holidays abroad to exotic places but i want to travel for months at a time, i want to do something creative with my time and i want to skate again/learn to surf properly/learn to paint/brush up on my French.
                        all these things weren't possible due to money and time i spent either beign drunk or hungover, clinging to my status quo.
                        one of the saddest things is i also was scared to have a hobby as it would take me away from my group of friends and i was scared i would be 'left out' or forgotten if i wasn't there.i still feel that a bit but realise i have to take the risk if i'm right what have i lost really??
                        looking at things now i feel i wasn't really anymore boring than anyone else - but bored with my life and sick and angry of limiting myself.
                        i'm on day 9 af (had 28 day and decided to moderate - fitting in thing/fear of success thing again i think).
                        thank you so much for making me think, decide what i want to do differently and giving me some oomph and zest for life.
                        Now i need to make plans to make sure i actually do some of thsi stuff - i also want to study to be a lifecoach - maybe i need to practice my own medicine!!
                        one day at a time

Comment

Friday, February 23

Thanks Mike,
                          You are an inspiration. I love your story and hope I can tell one like yours one day.
                          I have only lost control a few times (twice) in the past three months but live in perpetual fear of it happening.
                          I want to pursue another career and I was sitting in a career seminar on the weekend and the instructor said we could potentially get calls on a Saturday night. I thought "well, what if a client calls me on a Saturday night at 10:00 and I am hammered....? hmmm, I guess maybe this isn't a good career for me"
                          Alcohol holds us back, crushes our hopes and dreams. That is just another example. Why would a 43 year old woman be hammered on a Saturday night? Give me a break!
                          Anyway, thats my story.
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                          X