Saturday 24th February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday 24th February

AF for 3 weeks. Couldn't be happier about it.
    I've been remarkably free from the urge to drink. Maybe it's the Campral, maybe it's committment.
    All the best,
    prez
    "faith can move mountains, but bring a shovel" - Unknown

Saturday 24th February

Hi prez,

3 weeks is a fantastic achievement, give yourself a slap on the back....Its good as well that you don't feel the urge to drink, but, a word of warning, I was much the same at the begining, had cravings but nothing I couldn't handle with the help of Kudzu...Then one day I had this craving, came out of nowhere and just hit me with the power of a sledghammer.. That was the closest I came to giving in, but I just rode it out....So as I said, be ready..

Once again congratulations..

Take care, Louise.
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Saturday 24th February

prezmustchange, great job on 3 weeks. I just got past week one, and had no cravings at all. This is actually mind blowing. I mean, I feel NOTHING. My roomate's been drinking in front of me. Been to the bar twice and got water(I was at the bar cause they have great cheesesteaks.) I feel absolutely nothing. Irish, thanks for the warning. I'll have my gaurd up.
      where does this go?

Comment

Saturday 24th February

You guys are all encouraging me!!! Almost through Day 14 for me -- tough one because my mom found out her cancer came back.....but I haven't turned to drink but to the website and chat...good sign so far. Thanks!
        sri

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Yeah it is a high for sure during the first few weeks.... just make sure you don't become complacent! I had a craving a couple of weeks ago just as simular as Irishlady had mentioned about.... Good job on your being AF and keep on your toes!

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Damn. You guys are scaring me about this upcoming craving. :upset: I thought I had this thing licked. haha. On the good side, I have tried to stop before, but really used a TON of willpower. I thought about drinking a lot the other times. This time, no thoughts yet, so I guess the meds and supps are working.
            where does this go?

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Sri, really sorry to hear about your mum, you have to be so strong now, both for her and yourself, so please, come on here as much as you possibly can...This place has been my lifesaver, even just having a bit of a laugh and taking part in the things like the word connections game can all help to distract your mind at times....

morrison...BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID,,,,.......

, No, only joking, sorry, couldn't resist that...But, seriously, as long as you are aware that it can happen, you know, forewarned and all that... Although, you may be one of the lucky ones, it doesn't happen to everyone...

Good luck to you all,
              love, Louise xx
              A F F L..
              Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Saturday 24th February

has it been three weeks already Prez?? wow, you are a champion! I'm so glad the campral is working for you - it continues to work for me too.

without it I would have crumbled today (see "resentment" in Gen Disc)...thankful that I am still sober.
                It always seems impossible until it's done....

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Prez, way to go on your 3 weeks! And Morrison on your one! "One day at a time" is more than just a slogan. It's how this thing must be done. (Is there any other way to live your life?)

I think we should all expect that cravings will come and go from time to time... not expect it to the extent of turning it into a self-fulfilling prophecy, but just to be aware that it's possible and even a normal part of recovery. It's like the ex-smoker who has the occasional craving for a cigarette. The trick is to not let the occasional craving, or thought of a drink, turn into an obsession. That's when you are in dangerous territory. When I have a thought of drinking, I give myself a quick reminder of why I don't drink (a negative association) and then turn my attention to something else. If the thought comes back, I do it again. In other words, I don't feed the monster; I starve it.

Anyway I'm glad you are all here.. have a great weekend.

Mike
                  "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Just be prepared for when it comes back for ya

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Yeah, I guess you need to find a balance of being prepared for cravings, all the while not dwelling on it too much, so you can focus on more constructive things, and enjoy life. I guess that balance is a big part of the recovery process. Mike, great analogy with the smoking. You know, I quit years ago, and still broke down a few times. Fortuantely, after a few puffs, I would get disgusted, and throw it out. But, I still think of smoking once in awhile now. Especially when get angry. So, if the booze craving is anything like the smoking craving, there is some need to be concerned, as that smoking craving is pretty vicious in its self. Anyway, it's so good to hear everybody doing so well. I'm stuck at work, but for the rest of you, get out there and enjoy the weekend.
                      where does this go?

Comment

Saturday 24th February

Thanks to all of you for the great guidance about if and when the cravings rear their ugly heads --and for the good suggestions as to what to do about them. I can't be so naive to think I've got this licked! I just have to remember the mess I was two short weeks ago -- this is a journey for the rest of my life. One day at a time...and sober, it will be a more joyful day at a time.

Thanks for your support and words of experience. Everyone is different indeed, but I'm listening. I appreciate what you have to say.
                        sri

Comment

Working...
                        X