Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Thursday - June 21

Good morning Abbers!

I'm on my iPad so please excuse any autocorrect typos that pop up......

Started my day at 7:00, at my son' s house, baby & dog sitting :yay:
    Good day to stay inside with the AC on - heading up to 100 degrees today, yuck!!!!!
    Good day to be AF,that's for sure

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Thursday!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

AF Thursday - June 21

Hi Lav and all to follow,

It's really cold and miserable here ( can't believe it's mid summers day!) and heavy rain forecast later. I don't need AC here - am about to put on some warm socks and turn up the central heating!!!

Still lots to catch up on as I've been working since I came home from my trip. This is my first free day ( although I have to take my daughter to gymnastics later.) just off to make a sausage casserole and then tackle the most enormous pile of ironing :-(

Have a great AF day everyone

Sausage x
    Day 119 AF

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Kinda new to the thread so Ill keep it brief....

How the heck are ya Lav? Just wanted to say, always loved your posts, informative and uplifting, keep it up!

Sausage.....one HELL of a job on 119 days(unless its more than that), I remember you coming on board. So many people start here and then just vanish. You should be VERY proud of your accomplishment, you keep it up as well.

:hallo: to the rest of the regulars
      Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hot weather here, suasage. Sausage is making sausage casserole. :H (sorry) Way to go on racking up the days! Tomorrow will be 4 months!!

Lav, on another thread, KTAB said how to turn off ipad autocorrect.

Hey Nelz! Always good to see you. Your posts are like Lav's in that uplifting way.

Gotta run get ready for work.
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hello abbers!

Lav - Do you prefer iPad or laptop? I'm thinking about buying GF a new computer and she's umming and ahhing about what she'd like - loves the iPad but wants a USB port or something. I know nothing about computers.

Kaslo - saw your gorgeous garden pic. How fantastic to wake up to that every morning.

Hi to Sausage and Nelz and Greenie and all to come.

I've started seeing a therapist, ostensibly about bereavement but it's never that simple with a therapist is it? :H Anyway, I was getting fed up with having low periods and mood swings so I thought I'd see if it would help, and I think it might be

Have a good day everyone!
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hello from the beach, fabbies.

I set up camp in record time, less than one hour for everything, under the burning Greek sun. I took my first dip and I am now enjoying a lovely virgin Mojito. Last year I waould have had 2 beers and a cocktail by now.

Hi Marshy and Nelz!!! If you stick around I promise I'll make you cafe frappe.

Later, son demands icecream !!!!
            workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Good morning Fabsters, one and all. Hi Nelz, I have read your posts on this and other threads, so glad to see you posting here! I have benefited from your advice to others over the past 14 months, so thank you. Marshy also, hello to you, and hope your therapy gets after the real stuff. AND Sausage, you seem so busy all the time, how did you ever find time to drink? Shue, i envy your summer time in Greece, I went there many years ago in February of all times, and it snowed on us, and the Greeks were not happy to have tourists bugging them out of season. Beautiful country. Greenie, good day to you, howsyerknee? I have had major surgery to one knee back in 73, and its worked fine ever since. The OTHER knee however is fecked. so I am with you. I try to ignore whats going on down there. And Lav, I hope your family lets you know how much they appreciate you being there for the kids and pets all the time. Just spent a thankless couple of days with my brood, and Im glad to be back in my Radon contaminated basement reading about Arsenic. Im just sayin.

Speaking of Radon, its a byproduct of Uranium degradation, and happens to be highly concentrated in the rocks of my little town, including the bedrock poking up into my basement floor. So Mr Kaslo and I spent rather a lot of $$ to get remediation installed, which amounts to a pipe series going down into the bedrock, sucks up the Radon and any residual Radon in the house via a suction fan, then blows it up the chimney to the atmosphere where I expect it dissipates and possibly settles down on Consulting Company X, my competitors. Just joking. Kind of.

Thanks for all the kind comments re garden photographs. Esp Det, glad you are feeling a bit more chipper Det.

A huge feeling of well being to all... I am wishing for all of you today. love
              Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Greetings FABbers...

well...I must post and run...We are just two days away from heading down the Grand Canyon on our raft trip...and I must leave my computer behind today.

I just wanted to check in to say....I am so grateful for all of you and the support you have shared with me. The day we launch - June 23 - will mark my 11th month of living again.

Okay...gotta go....

Love and hugs...

I'll be back in touch on July 10 when I get home from this Grand AF Adventure!!!!!!
                Sober for the Revolution!
                AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hi Thursday abbers, Tips here checking in to say hello. I am heading up to our lake house in Laurentian mountains of Quebec and can't wait to take a dip in the lake. I hope to continue with my few days of non-drinking. That's the plan. Hope to check in with all of you on Tuesday (long weekend here) with the good news that I have succeeded. Lots of fun non-alcho drinks in stock.

I made a batch of tea before I left (5 bags and a huge, covered, clear bucket of water) and left it in the sun to steep. When I get there I'll add lemons, mint and either honey or stevia. I enjoyed it last weekend and the caffeine is pretty dissapaited by the time it gets into my system so it's not keeping me awake. I want to try making it with herbal tea next time. I keep it right on the beer fridge so all the weekend visitors see it as they stoop down for the beer.

I also left a newspaper report glued to the fridge describing a drinking related boating accident that occured last weekend on our little lake. We saw the marine police racing across the water last Saturday evening with their big headlights a flashing and wondered what was going on. A drunk 39 year old tried to jump from one boat to another, lost his footing, fell in the lake and drowned. The newspaper clipping is all I can do besides set a good example.

Have a great weekend all.
                  Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                  ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hello Abbers,

Kas, Our house in Colorado had a very high radon reading in the basement. We also had to install remediation before we could sell it. Now, I have read where people who have installed granite counter tops are finding higher radon readings in their homes. Well, duh!!

btw, I showed hubby your pic from yesterday. I told him I thought you lived in Canada and he was wondering if it was Western Canada based on the mountains. He loves geology. Also, he wanted to know if the bush with the flowers was laurel. In any event, what a beautiful back yard.

Tips, Your tea sounds lovely, the accident due to drinking is very typical for our lakes around here. It is always sad when someone loses their life and leaves their families due to something so silly. Glad you are feeling good about being a good example.

All grandkids over today to swim and play. Even the step ones, who get along famously with everyone else, which is a wonderful blessing. Seven children ranging from 2 to 14 sure can eat alot, though. Geez.

One thing is for sure...

Have a wonderful day, everyone.

Love,
                    Cindi

ps Has anyone heard from DG? I know she is busy but to disappear for so long is worrisome.

How about Uni?
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hi Cindi, thanks for the comments re garden. That bed is full of stuff, from left to right there is an oriental poppy, thimbleberry, thats a big peace rose, then sumac, and in the forground a pine, some day lilies, shasta daisy. Mostly not in bloom due to cold weather. To answer your question, yes I live in British Columbia in the west Kootenays which is a very Mountainous area with lots of glaciers, and post glacial physiography. We are rivers, lakes, mountains, snow capped peakes, deep valleys, rich forests and very few people. Very dramatic but isolated. Its minerals rich with lots of mines and a smelter. Its interesting that some granites vent Radon. I have read that there are isolated patches of radon in the Cordilleran Mountain Ranges of Western North America. So did remediation actually work? And did it allow you to sell your house more than say doing nothing at all? We are a bit worried about the impact on our real estate values. And health. Especially me as my office was in the basement. Also the piddly little monitor is kind of lame. I am a toxicology person, so I know the risk factors, but I still wonder if Ive poisoned myself with AL AND uranium daughters. lol!

kat
                      Kaslo

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Hello abers. Shue I am so jealous! I have read about you snow skiing and now camping in Greece, all the while I was at my computer at home.:upset: I want to be you when I grow up!:H

Hope everyone is having a fab day/evening!

Lg

"I like people too much or not at all."
                        Sylvia Plath

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Kaslo;1338559 wrote: So did remediation actually work? And did it allow you to sell your house more than say doing nothing at all? We are a bit worried about the impact on our real estate values. And health. Especially me as my office was in the basement. Also the piddly little monitor is kind of lame. I am a toxicology person, so I know the risk factors, but I still wonder if Ive poisoned myself with AL AND uranium daughters. lol!

kat
                          Kas,

Yes, remediation worked but more importantly, it would be illegal to sell a house in Colorado with a reading above some predefined number. I can't recall what it was. We were above that number.

I figure living is dangerous. :-)

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

Cinders;1338609 wrote: Kas,

I figure living is dangerous. :-)

Cindi
                            :H:H:H
                            Kaslo

Comment

AF Thursday - June 21

home again jiggety jig! AF and feeling 90% goodish again. yay.

Shue, how fun! Opah! hmmmm now I'm thinking I'll make something Greek for dinner....

Nelz, good to see you again. thought about your recently as I've got the bike bug after fixing Dx's little honda trail bike. poking around on craigs list a bit

Tipplerette, nice to see you as well. boating accident is a sad reminder of the common consequences of AL + vehicles.

well, my mail-order anatomically correct kneeling chair came and I'm sitting on it for the first time. I feel like I'd fit right into the 80's office scene LOL I really like these things and miss my old one so....here I am.

be well peeps
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X