Dry by Augusten Burroughs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved this book. Burroughs says things that I have felt myself but thought no one else could ever have thought. Things like how drunk time is slippery, but sober time is like cat hair and you can't get rid of it. Of course he says it better than I do!
    Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Yep, it is my all-time favorite book. I love the way he writes.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

An absoulte MUST read for anyone who has not already picked this one up!
      Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

I agree A MUST READ OR LISTEN. I have it on audio CD and listened to it 3 times.
        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Does Burroughs do the reading or does someone else?
          Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Burroughs does the reading in all his books.
            "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I am loving this book!

Doo
              :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

I've just read this after a recommendation from the London gang, It is a brilliant book, a definite must read ..........
                sigpicXXX

Comment

my all time favorite....Running with Scissors is great too but I loved this book more...Magical Thinking (short stories) is good but you cant get as deep into it as it is SHORT stories Buckle

Comment

i just googled him and augusten.com is quite amusing...I'll be ordering Dry right away, thanks Diditforme and everyone!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

RJ actually recommended Dry to me and when I read it I wanted to cry because it was so true but I was too busy laughing the whole time. It is a fantastic book for all of us.
                      Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

I think I may be the only MWO-er who really, really did not like the book at all. I bought that and *Running with Scissors* at the same time---big mistake, should have just checked them out at the library. Books this wretchedly, relentlessly GRIM are just not something I want to wallow in, and I think it's because it's dangerous to witness alcoholics THAT ruinously messed-up. It makes me feel "Oh, well at least I'm nowhere as bad as HIM! Maybe I really don't have such a problem..." And I'll be frank---the physically explicit gay stuff put me off my feed big-time. I donated both books to the Up For GRabs box at the library, where you dump your unwanteds and someone can just take 'em free. Hope Burroughs resonates with the next owner!
                        Jane Jane

Comment

Am reading it now and love it.

Comment

LOVED "Dry" and all his other books! He cracks me up, the whole dry wit thing I can totally relate to, not to mention his crazy Mother and upbringing!
                            Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                            - George Jackson

Comment

I bought three of his books, DRY, Running with scissors and the other one with meds on the cover (can't think what it is called right now). Any UKers want a read I will happily post them, they are hilarious and thought provoking, well worth the read.

Lxx
                              Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Working...
                              X