Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July's Jolly Journey - Week 2

Time for week two guys

Dill I loved your quote and it was very apted for me yesterday.

I set out to meet my friend, I had a 70 mile trip to Oxford where we had decided to meet. 10 minutes outside of town my car broke down. I was causing a huge traffic jam and the police arrived and towed me to safety. I then rang my friend and the police described to him where I was so he could find me. After an hour the breakdown truck came and confirmed that my head gasket had blown and therefore he couldnt get me going. He called a local repair shop and after another hour they came and took the car away. Im waiting for the exact quotation but have been estimated at least ?800 to repair it :upset:

So there I was miles from home and my dear new friend insisted on driving me which took him another 4 hour round trip from home. What a day!

However, today instead of feeling despondant I have been counting my blessings. 1st the wonderful policemen, the breakdown guy, the repair shop, my amazing friend who sacrificed his whole day and got home very late last night. When I arrived home frought and exhausted my housemate cooked me dinner. My friend Jeff who knows about cars and who I rang today for advice and finally my old friend who recently got sober who has offered to lend me the money for the repair at no interest. Im beginning to think my car broke down to show me that I am truly surrounded by real live angels and that if I keep the faith I will always be okay.....
    "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
    AF - JAN 1st 2010
    NF - May 1996

Good morning to all...

Chill, what a day and what an outcome. I love your attitude and realization that you ARE supported by the Universe.

Dill you asked about the retreat: The Curriculum Covers Topics Such as...
    An introduction to Japanese psychology based on Morita Therapy & Naikan
    Questioning assumptions about mental health
    Studying the connection between suffering and self-preoccupation
    Awakening the senses and living with presence
    The mechanics and use of attention
    Cultivating gratitude and appreciation
    The body's influence on the mind
    Finding purpose
    Coexisting with unpleasant feelings and thoughts
    Developing greater self-discipline
    Changing habits
    Resolving conflicts
    Softening our hearts
    Developing a practice of self-reflection
    Living fully with illness
    Developing a realistic view of our lives
    Clarifying the nature of feelings
    Reflecting on significant relationships
    So it is a really full 9 days. I am excited and looking forward to it. It is vegatarian all week, something I have always wanted to do and tend towards, and will have an opportunity to learn more and live it.

It has finally cooled off a bit and it is wonderful. Hopefully Lav, it is coming your way.

SD, what a great summer for you so far. I agree, he doesn't have to "get it," you will never have to explain more as long as you continue the path you are on. You are happy, healthy and giving out positive energy, impossible if imbibing.

Back to work today, everyone, have a great day.
    Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having a good time.
      Nancy Astor

Chill, thank you for getting week two started. And :l to you. Yesterday surely didn't turn out as you had hoped, but you are so right to recognize all the beauty and blessings in your life that were revealed in your time of trial. You are undoubtedly equally as much an angel and a blessing to those around you.

Star, thank you for explaining more about the retreat. It sounds lovely. Nine days is a long time. I surely will be thinking of you.

SD, so good to hear from you. I'm sure you know best as to how much to share with J regarding your difficulties with drinking. We each are different and how we decide to handle the matter (and our reasons why) is as different as each of us are. I think if I were in your shoes, I would not share that information from the past either, but I would do my absolute utmost never to drink, not even on the "social" occasions. Once that information is shared it is out there, never to be taken back. It might be shared sometime down the road after you become more settled with each other (if you do) and only if you feel the need. That's my two cents!

Finally a break in the heat!! However, the drought still remains. :upset: We had our grandson over yesterday for the afternoon so my son could have a little study time. He helped water the flowers and clean the garage and he spent some quality time out in "Pop-pop's shop". I'm so glad the heat wave is over so next time he comes we can spend some fun time outdoors!
      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for getting us started on week 2 Chill. I have a lot of catching up to do. You are an amazing woman and it is only fitting that you are surrounded with wonderful people. Sometimes we need something like the car breakdown to remind ourselves of this.

Star - that retreat sounds amazing and so much of it pertains to living life alcohol free. Looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Dill - thanks for the quotes as usual. Glad you are getting some relief from the heat.

Wish some of it would come this way. We are literally being washed out of it. I have arranged to hire a 4 x 4 the next few week-ends. My daughters show was cancelled yesterday but hopefully the next few will go ahead. However, I know it is madness thinking I will get in or out of fields with a car. Its only for a few weeks and it takes a lot of the pressure off.

Well had a lovely few days in Helsinki. Very interesting city but very expensive, about 20/30% more than here and we are not cheap. However, it was nice spending grown up time with hubby. We did all the sites and had some nice meals out. It was nice to get a break and the girls were fine when we were away.

Big hello to everyone I did not mention and have a great week.

Rustop

Comment

Good Morning Jiffy July Ones,

I am having so much fun on my vacation, I haven't had time to write. 1st time in 14 years. Temps all last week were in the high 90s and 100s, so like you, Dill, I continued my decluttering mission indoors and when I was outdoors, I was either in the pool or the lake. I must be regrowing my childhood gills. Wow, the missing stuff that I found!:H The remote for my ceiling fan, 2 pairs of missing earrings, etc. I also have been spending a lot of time with my mom, and she is so appreciative, and she is so worth it. We got some great news on Friday. The oncologist says she doesn't have to have any more blood work, no more colonoscopies, etc., and has declared her cancer-free. Her quarterly and semi-annually blood tests had me wringing my hands every time.

Dill-thank you for your daily quotes. Many of them speak to me directly. I'm glad you had a nice visit with your grandson. I think your advice to SD was right on....I could not have said it better myself.

SD-Dill's advice hit the nail on the head. Also, I was remembering your previous posts and you explained to him why you didn't drink....it was because of your dad. That is totally understandable. It was the truth. He accepted it and had no issues with it, so why keep worrying about it? I still owe you that PM. Sorry!! You sound so happy in your relationship with J....he sounds like a keeper.

Rustop-tell us more about your trip to Helsinki...a city I know NOTHING about. What were your favorite sites?

Chill-my mother would say you have the guardian angels looking over you. I would agree.

Star-your retreat sounds fascinating. So many of those topics are issues I would love to get some therapy/education in to improve my sense of wellness.

Lav-I hope the heatwave has passed through PA and you are getting some relief now.

LBH-thank you for sharing the story about how the memories of your father continue to show themselves and how they can be a trigger, which you bravely have fought off :goodjob:

A big hello to anyone I may have missed. Have a fabulous AF Monday!

Comment

Good morning all!

Chill, you certain;y did have one heck of a day!!!
            Glad your angels were nearby & ready to lend a hand

Star, your class sounds great & I hope you completely enjoy yourself & come home happy & relaxed

Dill, nice you had some grandson time!
            My grandson helped me pick the last of the green beans last night - he's getting pretty good at 3 1/2! Very cloudy here this morning & I think some rain is on the way. The lawns are starting to get kind of brown & crunchy.

Rustop, great that you enjoyed your trip!
            YB's truck has 4 wheel drive & it has been useful in certain situations. Keeping my fingers crossed you don't get stuck in the mud :H

Nothing super special planned for today ~ will take it as it comes. A trip to Curves first of course.
            Wishing everyone a great AF Monday.
            Oh & hi to SD from last night!
            Hi to Rusty as well!!!!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

What an experience to remind you that you are loved and safe, Chill. I need to trust more easily that things will be OK. All of the components of your course, Star, would seem to be such good life lessons as well. Rusty, I am so glad you have your mom and she has you:l. I think you will enjoy having four wheel drive, Rustop, I have it on my truck because of the huge mountains around here, I feel very brave in it. I had a boyfriend from Helsinki while in high school (he was an exchange student), and he was most unusual, very HEALTHY in body, mind, and spirit and wonderfully opinionated about it. He came back to visit me briefly years later, was by then a medical doctor, and dispassionately offered (I am not making this up) to ?father a child" for me as he sincerely and solemnly thought it would make my life more ?balanced?. Thank you for reminding me of ?my? funny Helsinki time. Dill and Lav, I am glad you are cooling off and enjoying grandson time. I never did have children, unbalanced and deranged wench that I am, and it is fun to participate in your extended families. Love, Ladybird.
              may we be well

Comment

:H Good God LBH -
                You could be Dr Helsinki's baby mama :H :H
                Do you think life would have been very different if you had taken him up on his offer?
                My grandsons will be arriving at 8 am tomorrow & will be here all day long. I would love to have an unbalanced & deranged wench like you to help me out :H

The heat wave has broken - only going up to 86 tomorrow with less humidity - yay!
                At least I can take the kids outside for some little boy rough - house type play.

Rusty, I'm glad to hear your Mom is doing well. Moms are special!

I really should try to go to bed earlier but I know that won't happen. I am halfway thru season 4 of the Tudors series - really cool to watch!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

LBH:H:H[quote]
                  I never did have children, unbalanced and deranged wench that I am....
                  I about wet my pants when I read that!:H Well, if you're an unbalanced and deranged wench then so am I.....but then so are Chill and Papmom:H as we have never had children. No guy has ever asked me to father a child for him, and I feel so dejected:upset: Just kiddin. Have you seen this guy lately, LBH? Maybe he's old, fat and bald and has no teeth. What was his name? Lemme guess.....Finki from Helsinki. I never tire of your posts, dear friend.

Lav, where do you get your energy to take care of your grandsons? I will be sending you vibes of strength tomorrow.

I was under the weather today and I'm not sure why but I am off to bed. See you in the morning.

Comment

:H:H Finki...:H Rusty, you crack me up!!! LBH--you had me rollin' too tonight!!!:H
                    Thanks, I needed that!!!.....Finki....lol!!!

Chill--glad you are ok...and it sounds like everything turned out ok...you def are surrounded by good people!! Takes one to know one!!!:l
                    Good night al!!
                    SD
                    "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

6/18/11--7/3/12
                    7/29/12

Comment

Another unbalanced and deranged wench checking in!
                      LBH - you really are hysterical :H and Rusty's right, there are enough of us here to have our own deranged wench inner circle, maybe we could make up spells and send them to Helsinki

Star - when does your course start? I think you are in for some great shifts in your perceptions and I can't wait to hear about it.

Spent too much energy yesterday trying to do the right thing with my car, as the repair is almost as much as its worth there is the dilemma of whether it's worth repairing but I can't see a way to afford a better one right now. *sigh* Anyway I need to get back to my studies today.
                      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                      AF - JAN 1st 2010
                      NF - May 1996

Comment

Good morning Chill & everyone!

I'm up & getting ready......for a long day of babysitting!
                        The little darlings will be dropped off soon so I'd better go take some extra vitamins

Have a great AF Tuesday!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Hi all you unbalanced and deranged wenches :H

Thank you for sharing your funny Helsinki story with us LBH. Dealing with teenages I would say that I am the one who is unbalanced and deranged most of the time.

Rusty - Its a very interesting city. It was under Swedish rule for about 600 years and under Russia for about 150. Very expensive but free education from pre-school right through to University and same health care for everyone regardless of means. We went on a ferry to Suomenlinna Sea fortress which was interesting and there is a lovely market square. Hubby is not into museums but he did come on an audio tour and we stopped off at Temppeliaukio Church (Rock church) and the Sibelius Monument. We also took in Sea World and the Zoo.

Lav - good luck with the babysitting. I dont know how you do it.

Catching up on stuff here after being away. The guy came to take away my tables to be refinished so that should be interesting. I am also in decluttering mode, it must be reading about Dill doing it last week.

Big hello to everyone I did not mention.

Rustop

Comment

Hi everyone,

It seems likes ages, and I know it is, since I last posted, you have all been in my thoughts.

I am well, unfortunately I was in a bad car accident a few weeks ago and the doctors tell me I'll be 3 - 6 months getting back to normal, i guess I just have to relax into the recuperation. It is quite frustrating to be honest and I am not a great patient but I just have to be. I stayed at my parents for a few weeks and Mum was just a saint supporting me, I relied on her for a shower, getting dressed and being fed initially. This was quite a learning curve for me as I had been telling a friend recently tht I had to help Mum so much with her arthritis recently and that I felt like the mother/carer and now we have a role reversal. I am so grateful at how enduring and flexible the mother/daughter relationship can be and I think of Mum as one of my very best friends. I am also so very, very grateful for my family around me, they have all been so supportive nd helpful.

Papmom I just had to say I am thinking of you with all your recent problems at work and with your search for a new job. I know life hasn't been easy for you this past year yet you are still there for your dogs and for your family and friends. You are so supportive of everyone, yet I know you will come bouncing back and be the support for everyone as you always are. Just be good to yourself and know that you are in my thoughts and meditations, I am sending lots of love across the pond.

Well I have ventured into an online affiliate store for shoes and handbags, its early days and there is loads to do, I guess it will take about 6 months to get it to market working on the affiliates and the categories although it is live at the moment. I'd be interested in any of your thoughts if you have any experience in this area?? I can pm you the www. address if you want to have a look at the bare bones of the venture!

Well guys, I miss you all and will be thinking about you as I crawl, scream and shout my way through my physiotherapy - the only life is the sober life

Love you

Dewdrop :h
                            Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Aw Dewdrop!

So sorry to hear of your car accident but glad to see you.
                              What a comfort to have your Mom able to help you :l
                              I would just love to see your online venture - I've been an online shopper from the very beginning
                              Hope you heal quickly. I know PT is tough but it usually is a necessary evil.
                              Take good care of yourself.

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                              X