value of meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

value of meditation

I am finding Buddhist meditation to be very valuable.

It's good for people who drink to escape their past or aspects of their personalities.

It fosters non-judgemental yet realistic views of the self, others and life itself. It also teaches you that negative feelings sometimes go away if you don't struggle against them.

You don't need to be religious to try it and benefit from it.

At the moment, am listening to JAck Kornfeld CDs.

Anyone else agree?
    :new:

value of meditation

Well Nancy,
    I have been looking into Buddhist meditation for about a year now. The internet is full of useful sites which gave me a rough outline of the philosophy, which I find fascinating.
    It really is a great stress reliever. My wife and I are Catholic, and she thinks that I will go straight to hell for all this 'Buddhist nonsense' , but as you said, it doesn't have to be religious. Buddha isn't a God.

Thanks for the nudge Nancy. It's been a few weeks........

I don't know Jack Kornfeld.

Comment

value of meditation

meditation

I am an agnostic, former Catholic, and I don't find Buddhism to be a stretch.

I got into it because I read that psychologists are using Buddhist "mindfulness" techniques in their secular practices.

It's about living in the present. Also, it is about accepting the many sides of yourself and treating yourself and others well. I don't see those things to be in conflict with other religions, rather compatible with them. I suppose if you are a serious Catholic you wouldn't want to chant to the figures.

I am really amazed at what it can do for you. Like dealing with compulsive urges, not acting on them, maintaining concentration, not getting caught up in what could be, but rather what things are. Most importantly, though, is this idea of not escaping from who you are and painful experiences. It has obvious implications for people with addictions. I heard about a buddhist book called: The wisdom of no escape. I am going to check that out....

Comment

value of meditation

Hello Nancy,
        I think you can discover yourself as well as the rest of the world. I also think it is important to do so. As I go through life, I have found it essential learn the lessons that are taught us. I know nothing. I have only recently learned how to breathe properly, and even that has to be practiced.
        I have drifted through life, dragged along by 'The World.'
        I think about these things often, but I rarely follow up my thoughts with any serious action. I have been a coward most of my life; Lost and frightened. I intend to change that. There is so much untapped wisdom out there that in these crazy days we all live in, and I want to find some. I hope that I haven't left it too late.
        Does that make any sense?

Comment

value of meditation

Me again.
          Regarding 'mindfulness'.
          I found a website a while ago explaining how to 'mindfully' go about a task. The example given was making a cup of tea; a simple enough thing. We would usually go through the motions of boiling the kettle, washing the cup, etc. automatically, without thinking. We are asked to be mindful of every aspect of the task, doing it to the best of our ability and with care. Even at a basic level, there is something astounding when you realise how much of your movements and thoughts are in fact wasted and thoughtless.
          Thanks again Nancy for helping me really THINK.

Comment

value of meditation

mindfulness

Well, it sounds simple to think about the cup of tea, or the breath.

But that has a lot of implications if you take it as a philosophy and apply it to other aspects of life. If you pay attention to what is going on now, not in the past or in the future.

I have spent a lot of time uncomfortable in my body, wrapped up in neurotic thoughts. No wonder I wanted to escape with drinking! Who wants to live like that?

The breath also shows impermanence. The way things change, that is the natural way of life. And when you are down on yourself, you get fixed ideas, things can't change. But that actually isn't true.

I wish I had discovered this many years ago...

Glad you share the fascination

Comment

value of meditation

Hi Nancy,
              I am considering joining a group.
              If left to my own devices, I tend to do nothing. I am a private,shy person and I find it quite difficult to interact with new people. This might sound funny, but since finding MWO, I have found it easier.
              I expressed on another thread, the desire to take up yoga, which I think has a similar mind/body philosophy. I got as far as finding a local class on the internet and did nothing.
              I think you are further along the path than I am. I have a shallow knowledge of a lot of things, but the time has come to delve more deeply into something more specific.
              I'd like to thank you again for the mental nudge.

Comment

value of meditation

classes

i think classes are good. I am just getting finished with an eight-week meditation class. i don't think i would have done it properly without the instruction.

Good luck!

Comment

value of meditation

Hey Nancy and Pops,

I have know for a good while that meditation is the missing link in my life. I have just been too lazy to get to it. No, actually - scared. Scared of what I might find if my mind stopped being "busy".

I obtained a DVD recently of monks doing mindful meditations coupled with graceful movements. I am starting this as part of a new mind/body/spirit plan for me. I need to link my body and mind. And my heart - which seems too often to get missed out of the equation.

Yoga I used to love - I had a wonderful teacher before I moved. It is hard to find one where I live now - it's all that "hot" yoga - anaethema to real devotees!

Will let you know how I go with the "mindful" DVD and recommend if I like it.

Much love

Gem x
                  Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

value of meditation

linking body and mind

I think meditation is good for that Hidden Gem.

i would also advise reading up on buddhist theories of impermance and aversion, etc.

the ideas put the meditation in context for me. otherwise, i might have just sat still without knowing what the big picture was.

i think once you stop battling with yourself, life seems more peaceful. it's great. good luck!

Comment

value of meditation

i think once you stop battling with yourself, life seems more peaceful.
                      Never was a truer word said.

Thank you.

Comment

value of meditation

Nancy.. i have been practicing buddhism for three years now. I am actually going on a 9-day silent buddhist retreat at the end of this month. I believe it to be one of the most profound teachings I have had the pleasure of experiencing. It has changed my life. I am new to MWO, and believe conquering my cravings for alcohol to be the last piece for peace.
                        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

value of meditation

LOL

We should have a buddhist section here - I have been practicing Zen Buddhism for ten years or more (you could probably have guessed from my username!). And I know there are a couple others out there who have not joined this thread.

But I agree - you really need to get into the philosophy a little deeper and get more of the context to get the most benefit from meditation.

Meditation without some of the understanding behind it is just "sittiing still for a while"
                          Although this can be relaxing, there is so much more to it than that.

Popeye, Mindfulness is what gets me through the days AF - I try to be aware in every moment - it helps me make the right decisions as regards alcohol.

It takes away the raking over the past failures - I try to just let them go
                          It stops you worrying about the future - it is not here yet, and will most likely not be like you imagine it will be anyway, so why worry about it?

It means you can focus very clearly on the present moment, and allows you to do the right thing for right there and then. (ie you are fully aware of the hand reaching for the bottle and can chose not to do it).
                          You also come to realise that thoughts are just that - thoughts, they come and go - you do not have to become caught up in them, or act on them. I more clearly see sneaky thoughts like "no one will know if I have a couple of beers" as due to my addiction.
                          I can then see it for what it is, just a thought passing by, and make the right choice ie let it go and NOT act on it.

You also begin to see physical cravings for what they are - simply bodily sensations - they may be strong sensations - but you can learn just to accept them and experience them without going off on a bender because of them.

There is a lot in Buddhism that is fascinating.
                          It is also more of a philosophy rather than a religion.

Didn't mean I could sustain all this mindfulnes 24/7 tho'
                          I am still here because I couldn't control my drinking.
                          But I think my experiences of Buddhism played a large part in my desire to give up.

Take care,

Satori
                          "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

value of meditation

great post!

Cool post Satori.

I have only been into this for a few months and clearly you have a lot more experience.

I think there is a religion section of this site but I don't see it as a religion, more as what you said, a philosophy. I believe it could really help everyone, including atheists.

What you said about not acting on things is important... therapists call it "urge-surfing" but it seems lifted straight out of buddhism to me!

Also, the idea that we try to hide from the ugly things in ourself that we don't like, or the painful things, and this hiding itself in turn creates a lot of pain. Buddhism allows you to see things, including the self, the way they are, without judgement.

I agree, it's wonderful. I only wish i could learn the meditation part. I do it now and then but have been much more preoccupied with the books rather than practice.

Comment

value of meditation

Hi. I am really enjoying this thread. I practice yoga myself and it keeps me sane. Also mindfulness and living in the now is very powerful...

Comment

Working...
                              X