X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st March Reflection

Thursday 1st March

Bible Reading: Matthew 7: 7-12

'Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. 8For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. 9Is there anyone among you who, if your child asks for bread, will give a stone? 10Or if the child asks for a fish, will give a snake? 11If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him! 12 'In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets
    Reflection
    This must be one of the great phrases for those who preach good health and wealth through believing in Jesus. The kind often portrayed in those comedy films about charlatan preachers.

Surely this is Jesus giving a free reign? - ask and it will be given to you, knock and the door will be open - didn't happen? - "Well don't blame me if God didn't come through! Clearly your faith is not strong enough!"

No that's not what it's about at all. Even the movies about charlatan preachers have the 'good news' twist to them at the end. It's not about how much wealth and happiness we can have if we pray for it, it's about having a strong faith and belief that God does hear and listen. Jesus' boldly works to encourage all of us to have a robust faith that will never give up on the asking, seeking, and knocking. God loves us as his own children and hears our prayers - always. For this is a passage that says whatever explanation lies behind the requests God does not grant, the reason will never be that God does not care, or that God did not hear you.

The point Jesus is making of course is, that if that's how we care those whom we love, how much better won't God care for us?

Prayer is a genuine avenue of communication between God and us. And the prayers we offer are just as important to God as are the earnest requests of our own children, grandchildren, nephews, and nieces. We listen and we don't usually take the request lightly.

Thought for the Day
    Praying for others widens our prayer to the dimensions of the entire human family; we entrust to God the joys and the hopes, the sorrows and the sufferings of all people, particularly those who are forgotten. A prayer of praise enables us to celebrate all that God is for us. (Taiz? Community - France The Taiz? Community)

Prayer
    Faithful God,
    You sit with me - help me remember you.
    You walk with me - help me remember you.
    You struggle with me - help me remember you.
    You weep with me - help me remember you.
    You rejoice with me - help me remember you.
    I could not wish for a better companion.
    Amen.
    eace:

1st March Reflection

Amen!

Bad weather coming our way down here in Alabama!
    Remember us today...
    Help and thank you!

Love you all..
    Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
    X