AF day Saturday 21 July

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF day Saturday 21 July

Good morning everybody..wow few posts on here..when I left yesterdays af there were 8 posts, just looked and now 16..doubled.Wish my wallet could do that trick!!How are we all today?There is a big yellow thing in the sky here this morning..I have heard they call it a sun or something! Maybe the start of the long awaited summer.
    Half way thrugh another af weekend and it looks like a few of us have either been tempted ,me included or been in a position where it could have gone wrong, so well done us for not giving in .Me, I was driving down the road,then for no reason, little man in head says mm time for alcohol.Stopped the car, went through my litany,little voice in head"yeah yeah, now just get some."! By this time about 5 minutes had passed.So I then thought...vodka versus,
    and wrote a list,:self respect, dissappoinment, back to day 1, telling everybody..the list ended up with about 9 things on it... and in the end I thought sod it , it isnt worth it, drove home and had a cup of tea!
    Which reminds me tea and coffe are on now for you all.I am on cup 2!

Hi Lilly E did you go to the Karaoke?If you did, bit of a dodgy one but hope you pulled it off..remember going to one I was sober and driving, boy did it sound different..also dont people think they are dead funny when they are drunk?Puts a different view on without the demon drink

Lifechange..hi how are you? more coffeee?My plans for weekend? Probably go for a walk, go swimming, mess about in the garden and enjoy a lovely day.Weather looks so good.How about you ? anything lined up.You have done really well.

Morning Shue how are you this fine day?Nice to chat to you yesterday morning, though must say you can type faster than I can even talk!!!:H.I was trying to keep up with you and when I read back what I had written it might have been in Cyrillic.I can appreciate you talking about the tourism industry possibly suffering because of the events of the last few days, but hopefully it wont damage the infrastructure too much and wipe it out..after all look at all the other places that have had and going through the same problems, most of them are building themselves up again , so fingers crossed.What are your plans before your hectic week ahead?

Hi Papmom how are you..coffe??Wow you lost me with all that IT stuff..took me almost a week to learn to spell computer far less anything else :H Anyway best of luck with that.What are these trials you are talking about? I am guessing dogs, but probably miles out!

Morning porquoi how are you? you say nothing happened yesterday..but it did.You sat down and wrotei iniyour words"a stern and sober e mail "and you were surpised that you got a reply.Think back ..could or would you have done that before ?So well done you

Good morning Lavande ..wakey wakey coffee on the go.Glad you had a goo d time with your friends yesterday.Autumn gold..that sounds a nice colour..there will be no stopping you now.Glad the chickens are doing ok and also things have settled down in the newbie nest you have put a lot of work in to that so thank you from everyone including us all here

Good morning Kaslo, and how are you today?Hope all is well .Judging b y your comments, a rough guess would be that your chosen proffession is not interior design or a decorator

Turnagain..good morning hope all is well though you do sound calm and steady .Love that avatar

Sunflower,well done yo for going through that, couldnt have been easy and like you say what would you have done last week?But the main thing is you got through it..brilliant.Like you say whether you go to AA or whatever we are here as group to support each other.

Well going to sign off now.Take care everybody and have a great af day..remember if you hear the little man in your head..bin him , he is a nuisance now

Mick
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

AF day Saturday 21 July

shueaddict;1352824 wrote: Good glorious morning, affies,

Come and smell the coffee. With the occasion of having the house all to myslef and not a single drinking thought in mind I am taking out the top shelf stuff. Jamaica Blue mountain, brewing nicely in the french press. There also a cup of Earl Grey for Pap.
    I am pottering around in the garden in my bikinis, trying to get some vitamin D. Most neighbors are away on holiday and it is dead quiet. I'll get cooking later, when it gets too hot outside.

I wish you all a super duper weekend, one thing is fer sure.

Big hug

Shue, playing with the sprinkler
    Oh, Mick, I just love your post, let's just follow it. Having been in chat with you I can attest to how long it took you to write it. And your Cyrilic was just fine.

I am off fishing ... In the Greek fish shop, let's see what they got today ...
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

and what a wonderful morning it is!!!
      like always, delicious coffee, Mick! in fact, i think i'll have another cup.
      i'm so proud of you for using the great tools you've learned--pulling to the side of the road and writing it all down. i think you've seriously got the hang of it. i'm going to make sure i always have a pen and paper on me. 'cause you never know when that urge might hit, do you?
      i had such a stressful and sad night last night--due to huge differences in the way my boyfriend and i (who live together with our kids) have in raising the children--from t.v. to nutrition, to everything. it's been a problem for a long time and of course when i'm drinking i can easily sweep everything under the rug--which is what i've done. now that i'm not drinking i have to face it head on. i won't make any big decisions for a long time. but i know in my heart that it isn't good. had NO desire to drink, though. nobody and nothing can take me there again!!
      no big weekend plans. a concert tonight. not at all worrying about the al. just the dancing salsa part. just relax and let the body move.

Shue, you lucky dog!!! out in the sun in your bikini. how far is it from Berlin to Bulgaria? i know you didn't invite me, but....
      hope you have a wonderful day! when you off on your trip? monday? will you be able to be here a bit when you're on the road?

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Hi Mick - I'm still here - day 19 - YAY.
        Off on an overnighter. Would normally be drink on way down with lunch, drink before dinner in pub drink with dinner drink after dinner. Now have to totally change my MO.
        Will be questions asked but for now anti biotics are my secret weapon in the white lie dept

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

hi Sunflower, i have to say i also feel much more comfortable here than anywhere else at the moment. i love that everyone has the same goal. i feel the power and positive energy.
          it's impossible to stay away from people drinking here. (i know how you felt at the rest last night!) people drink in the movie theaters!, in th trams and busses, ikn the parks, walking along the street, in all the outdoor cafes, on the playgrounds!! and the 24 hour shops sell al 24 hours. i'm slowly able to take of my blinders. i'm so happy your husband is so supportive. you've got a good one!

Lilly, looking forward to hearing from you soon.!

Turn, gorgeous picture! where are you? i missed it.
          Pap, can't wait to hear more of the soap. that guy sounds like a real dickhead. pardon my you know what. i would love to see you sail out of that dept.
          Kas, i always love to read your posts and to hear of the struggles you've endured-- and how you endured them. i have a thing next friday night that i think i'll baq out of. i'd prob. be fine but i'm not 100% sure. possible stress + alcohol in the vacinity is not a good mix for me.

big hugs to you all-- Lav and Porquoi, a wonderful sober sat.!!

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

oh Shue, alright then, i'll have another cup!! definately can't pass up the jamaican blue. mmmm!! haven't has it in ages. good luck fishing--let us know what you come home with.!
            my dad was recently halibut fishing in alaska. talk about big fishies.

hi Satz!!!! so good to see you. sounds like you're staying strong. be sure to take along a pen and some paper just in case--

see you later alligators,
            Life

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

this is my last post, i promise. i'm being a hog.
              but i just read over what i wrote--in the first i said noone and nothing could cause me to drink again. then in the last one i said that i don't know if i'd be ok in a poss. stressful sit. with alcohol nearby. i don't sound as convinced as i feel at the moment, do i? i guess you would all recommend staying away from all situations that could be problematic. if i have a gut feeling ahead of time, i should stay away.

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Morning everyone

Lovely sunny day, day 149 for me.

Will check in again later but wanted to stay accountable as haven't posted on the AF daily for a few days.

Have a wonderful AF weekend everyone.

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Morning Fabbers!!

Thanks for the Earl Grey Shue!! Yum!! My daysof bikini wearing are long over LOL!!

Mick-I do dog agility with my agressive/reactive dog who is referred to here as DD (Devil Dog). It's a lot of fun, way too expensive and I'm way too overweight and out of shape to be doing it but he seems to love it. My dream is to finally make enough money to be able to compete at least once a month (actually my REAL dream is to quit my job, buy an RV and travel the country competing!!)

Life-yes, my boss is an arse but lately he's suprising me. This reorg has been hell for him and he is going to be losing more than me to it but its totally out of his control. Had he not been a DH to begin with, our VP would not be treating him this way but he's brought it on himself and he will be paying dearly for it. Funny enough, yesterday when I told him I had a 3rd interview and it was with the VP of the division, he said he hoped that working with him wouldn't be a detriment to me being offered the job. I told him I didn't see it that way. what I didn't tell him was that EVERYONE knows how bad he's treated me and if anything, they have tons of sympathy and don't blame me for wanting out. They've seen his work first hand.

Sunflower-way to go last nite!! That really had to have thrown you for a loop to walk in expecting sodas and screaming kids and instead you're confronted head on with a beer orgy!! You did good girl!! Keep up the great work and keep working your tools. They are working for you!!

hey Saucy!! Keep coming here even if just to say you're OK!!

Satz-glad to here you're still riding the AF train! It really is a better life than modding. I promise!!

OK fabsters, it's after 7am, gorgeous out, the sun is shining, birds singing and I have a ton of work to do. Will check in tonite!
                  New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Good morning Abbers!

On my second cup of coffee as well Mick, thanks
                    Looking forward to another day of coolish weather here, grateful for a break from the extreme heat.

Greetings shue, lifechange, satz, Sausage & papmom! Everyone sounds good this morning & reaping the benefits of an AF life

OK, going to get some outside work done while I can. I hear the heat is due to return tomorrow
                    Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Good Morning All.....Thanks for the coffee Mick. Starting the way with my af friends is the best. Dad visiting today, looking forward to spending the day with him. Will check in to say good night. Have a great day.:heartsnflowers:

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Hi all,

So, I'm back from sober karaoke… sober… and both proud of myself but with some mixed feelings… and it's late here… so apologies in advance if this is long winded and/or self absorbed.

Today was a big day with the launch so I didn't actually check in here and see all the advice not to go until after the fact. If I had I suspect I wouldn't have gone, which would probably have been for the best.

I felt certain I wouldn't drink - my resolve is really strong at the moment. But I was afraid it would be painful - and it was - and that I'd get shit for not drinking - and I did. Though weirdly only from this one guy I didn't know who kept trying to fill my glass and made a big thing about how I had to have 'just one' for the birthday girl. (WTF?) I made sure to have my wine glass filled with mineral water at all times so I'm pretty sure most people just thought I was drinking white wine.

The mixed feelings are that… before everyone got smashed I was having a good time, lots of jokes and laughter. The drunker people got the more boring & painful it got as people became loud, stupid, repetitive and singing horribly. It certainly is eye opening to see how messy, tedious and ridiculous people can be when pissed when you're stone cold sober. But I guess what bugged me is that even though people were being messy idiots, I still started to feel boring and uptight and a bit left out. I guess because I wasn't having much fun anymore but I could see other people were and knew I would have been - or thought I was - if I were drinking.

I know perfectly well that had I been drinking the pain of whatever stupid stuff I might have done later on - or even just the horrendous hangover - would have actually outweighed the fleeting 'fun' - it wouldn't have been worth it. Still, those feelings make me think that it is indeed best to not put oneself in those situations in early sobriety - too dangerous and a slippery slope even mentally. Lav, I think your three month guideline is a good one - enough time to make a serious mental shift.

That said, Shue, I could relate to your story, as I have had super fun nights out sober when others weren't and it can be a real charge to get so naturally high without the downside. You can ride the party wave sober. Quite often I even feel almost drunk by the end of the night without the $ spent and hangover - bonus! But I guess karaoke isn't something I ever actually really enjoyed - I just had to be drunk enough to tolerate it and kid myself that I was having a good time.

Funnily, the main reason I didn't bail out - I considered it - is that the birthday girl is an alcoholic in denial who knows I haven't been drinking so probably wouldn't have bought an excuse and would have been offended. She actually did NA and AA 10 years ago and was sober for six months but then went back to drinking and it's SO obvious her drinking is increasingly out of control. I know she had fun tonight but I also bet she'll wake up cringing at some of her behavior, that is if she can remember it…

Thanks so much all for your suggestions and caring advice. I definitely take what you all have to say on board.

Lav, I couldn't agree more about your words re the Nest and also with what Turnagain said - you guys are essential over there.

Sunflower
                        , WELL DONE you re the laser tag night. A major win there. And I really liked your words about not having to do this alone. This site has been SUCH a source of strength and insight to me. Without it I doubt I'd even still be trying to quit. And I'm super glad to be here on this thread now. The thought of you all really helped me tonight.

Mick
                        , I love your list writing strategy. YAY for you! You know you made the right choice but what a great strategy for nipping that craving in the bud. I read through my list of reasons it's important I quit - what I hate about drinking - before I went out tonight and it helped. Strikes me it might be a good idea to tuck one of those in our wallets for those moments too.

Lifechange, I'm so sorry to hear you had a sad and stressful night. I know you've mentioned the difficulties with your boyfriend before. Just remember that things can ultimately only get better without AL, whatever decisions you ultimately make. Although, yes, leaving any life changing major decisions for now seems like a sound plan. Give yourself time to heal and get on steady ground. I've forgotten exactly how long it's been since you had a drink (?) but the early days are a bit of a roller coast. I hope the concert and salsa cheered you up. Also, can I ask, I know you struggled with the on-off for awhile too - what do you think has really brought you to this point of being able to say nobody and nothing can take you there again. (I'm just curious about your turning point.)

3 weeks AF here tomorrow!

Lilly x

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Good morning Afers. Thanks to Mick for starting, and to Shue for being gracefull. Welcome back to Salz, hope we rub off on you. Lifechange, thats tough re BF and his different approach to childrearing. That can be a nail in the marital coffin for sure. I am pretty sure Mr Kaslo is responsible for some of the hardship in my adult daughters life as a result of his behaviour.

Hey Pap, what out what the Boss of yours says to others up high behind your back. Kill him with kindness. Lav glad its not so hot.

Lillie, everyone has been thinking about you, and I am glad you made it through. I guess if I had done a risk assessment I would say there was too much risk, but then on the other hand you were treated to the spectacle of watching friends make idiots of themselves. In a lot of ways that is a real advantage, so dont forget what they looked like, and of course you know how they feel right now. Here is some MORE advice. You are the most important person in your life right now. I am very glad you did not give in to pressure on you to drink, that is the sign of another problem drinker hoping you will help justify support and deny the severity of the problem.

Well folkies, I have to get outside. The water is very high, but I have to get my kayak out or Ima go nuts.

Love to all.

k
                          Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Lilly E

well done you!!!!
                            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

AF day Saturday 21 July

Oh, I am so happy to hear you all peeps doing so well.

Lifechange, Berlin is a short flight away 2 hours tops, do you actually live there? How old are the kiddies, I am sad to hear you have such diffrences, mind you, most couple I know fight like dogs over how to bring up kid no.1 ( mr. Shue and I included).

Today I cooked fresh Black sea mussles and made a mean raspberry sorbet.

Lilli, I am so happy you checked in, I was kicking myself for being inconsiderate with my story, in fact I also thought pap, lav and kas nailed it ... Staying out of toxic company. If I am to be honest I said no to going out a lot more than I care to remember. At the time I thought I was feeling antisocial or tired ... I was afraid I'd get bored Watching people getting progressively drunker .... Quite a sight, right? But it is a powerful visual, seeing my friends doing drunk silly things, remembering that not so long a go I was one of them.

Pap, I am rooting for your dream. And I am no Venus in bikinis but stuff whoever is watching, I love the morning sun on my skin. Fights depression, makes me happy and relaxed.

Mick, satz, lav, kas, porquoi ... Am I missing someone ... Have a lovely night, catch you later tomorrow, I plan to do a hike with hubby early morning
                              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Working...
                              X