X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily reflection

Friday 2nd March -

Bible Reading: Matthew 5: 20 - 26

For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 21 'You have heard that it was said to those of ancient times, "You shall not murder"; and "whoever murders shall be liable to judgement." 22But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable to judgement; and if you insult a brother or sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say, "You fool", you will be liable to the hell of fire. 23So when you are offering your gift at the altar, if you remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother or sister, and then come and offer your gift. 25Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are on the way to court with him, or your accuser may hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you will be thrown into prison. 26Truly I tell you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.

Reflection

Jesus' teaching disrupts our complacency. It confirms and intensifies the old Law. The Law of Moses, if taken literally, was, perhaps, achievable -not many of us are murderers or particularly tempted to become one- but Jesus' application of the Law probes our inner state and confronts us with the uncomfortable realisation that we are not yet all that we can be. We may not be vicious killers, but do we harbour nasty thoughts and resentments? Or do we cut people down in our talk behind their backs. Our Lord would have us recognise that we fall short of the glory of God in our response to others and are in need of forgiveness, mercy and active reconciliation. If we can recognise that need, we may begin to grow towards a more generous, accepting stance. There is no room for complacency.

Thought for the Day
    "Reconciliation is to understand both sides; to go to one side and describe the suffering being endured by the other side, and then go to the other side and describe the suffering being endured by the first side." Thich Nhat Hanh - Vietnam

Prayer
    God of peace, we pray for ourselves that we may be kind and generous to each other, that we may be reconciled, live in peace, welcome the stranger, and offer encouragement and hope to endure life's troubles. Amen.
    eace:

Daily reflection

I had a call from my x sister-in-law last night.
    She asked for forgiveness.
    Who am I not to give it to her?

Just a thought.
    Thanks Diana for sharing this thread.
    :h Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Working...
    X