Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reaching for the stars - after a good kick up the ****!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Right Daisy,

Firstly, good post.

Now, how are you going to make this happen? I love it how you suggested to yourself to 'up your game'. This seemingly simple statement should not be underestimated for us, and this is what i find i must do. Positive action each and every day. For me, i just start with getting out the front door to exercise. One foot in front of the other. Small steps, and i know you know this, but breaking things down in to smaller chunks can help stuff be more achievable.

Kick some arse there lady, and don't fuck around and lose what you've worked for as a result of your true self shining through.......the true, sober you. You are a star, special and grand, so enough of the self abuse, for that is not who you are, and that thinking is a waste of your precious time.

Take your life back and follow your bliss.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Daisy...well done! Being aware that you are providing yourself a one way ticket to hell is half the problem!! AL IS the problem. Getting past that Day 1 is a bear!! Those 5 o'clock bells are loud! But I know you can do this...you must do it! It is inevitable, and today IS the BEST day to start! Wednesday. By Saturday, the hardest part will be over and done. Get your head cleared out, and off we go! No matter what, and no matter who....do not give in! XXOO, B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Guitarista and Byrdie - thank you. I have so much respect for both of you....
        I am already making moves today; didn't realise how much I had let my house go over this past few weeks. Today is about getting everything in order and planning for my 'final' quit.
        Heading out to cut my grass now - one chunk at a time is exactly how I am moving forward.
        I kind of feel excited when I know that a proper quit is on the cards - I know what good things are coming my way...
        But most of all I know, that ultimately the only person who can make this happen is me....

Comment

Daisy...I just found this post and thought it was outstanding!! I am pasting it and will look up the author here shortly and thank him...we ALL can use these reminders!

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh

1. Cultivate continued acceptance of the fact that your choice is between unhappy, drunken drinking and doing without just one small drink.

2. Cultivate enthusiastic gratitude that you have had the good fortune of finding out what was wrong with you before it was too late.

3. EXPECT as being natural and inevitable, that for a period of time (and it may be a long one), you will recuringly experience.
          (a) The conscious, nagging craving for a drink.
          (b) The sudden, all but compelling impluse just to take a drink.
          (c) The craving, not for a drinks as such, but for the soothing glow and warmth a drink or two once gave you.

4. Remember that the times you don't want a drink are the times in which to build up the strength not to take one when you do want it.

5. Develop and rehearse a daily plan of thinking and acting by which you will live the day without taking a drink, regardless of what may upset you or how hard the old urge for a drink may hit you.

6. Don't for a split second allow yourself to think: 'Isn't it a pity or a mean injustice that I can't take a drink like so-called normal people'.

7. Don't allow yourself to either think about or talk about any real or imgagined pleasure you once did get from drinking

8. Don't permit yourself to think a drink or two would make some bad situation better, or at least easier to live with. Substitute the thought : 'One drink will make it worse - One drink will mean a drunk.'

9. Minimise your situation. Others have greater problems, how joyful such people would be if their problem could be solved by just not taking one little drink today. Think gratefully how lucky you are to have so simple and small a problem.

10. Cultivate and woo enjoyment of sobriety.
          a) how good it is to be free of shame and guilt
          b) how good it is to be free of the consequences of a drunk just ended or of a coming drunk you've been never able to prevent before.
          c) how good it is to be free of what people have been thinking and whispering about you, and of their mingled pity and contempt
          d) How good it is to be free of fear.

11. Catalogue and RE-Catalogue the positive enjoyments of sobriety, such as:
          a) The simple ability to sleep and eat properly; and wake up glad you're alive; glad you were sober yesterday; and glad you have the privilige of staying sober today
          b) the ability to face whatever life may dish out, with peace of mind, self-respect, and full possession of all your faculties.

12. Cultivate a helpful association of ideas:
          a) Associate a drink as being the single cause of all the misery, shame and fear you have ever known.
          b) Associate a drink as bein the only thing that can destroy you newfound happiness, and take from you your self-respect and peace of mind.

13. Cultivate Grattitude:
          a) Grattitude that so much can be yours for so small a price;
          b) Grattitude that you can trade just one drink for all the happiness sobriety gives you.
          c) Grattitude that MWO (AA) exists, and you found out about it in time.
          d) Grattitude that you are an alcoholic, you are not a bad or wicked person, but you have been in the grip of a complusion.
          e) Grattitude that since others have done it, you can in time bring it to pass that you will not want or miss the drink that you're doing without.

14. Seek out ways to help other alcoholics - and remember the first way to help others is to stay sober yourself.

15. And don't forget, when the heart is heavy and resistance is low, and the mind is troubled and confused, there is much comfort in a true and understanding friend standing by. You have that friend in MWO (AA).
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

daisy45;1354632 wrote: Guitarista and Byrdie - thank you. I have so much respect for both of you....
            I am already making moves today; didn't realise how much I had let my house go over this past few weeks. Today is about getting everything in order and planning for my 'final' quit.
            Heading out to cut my grass now - one chunk at a time is exactly how I am moving forward.
            I kind of feel excited when I know that a proper quit is on the cards - I know what good things are coming my way...
            But most of all I know, that ultimately the only person who can make this happen is me....
            Feel the fear and uncertainty and do it anyway, as they say. Good to hear you have a plan Daisy. But don't fuck around. Be ruthless in your every hour taking your life back, because booze will charm you to your grave mate, if that is your choice.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Thanks for that brilliant post Byrdie - I will use that as my daily morning read. Thank you also to the person who took the time to put it all down.......
              Guitarista, I hear you - loud and clear. I needed that and feel stronger already!

Comment

Cool post Byrdlady, and thanks.

I remember Johhny h as being from South Africa if i'm not mistaken, and a passionate fella. Haven't seen him around the boards for maybe a year or so.

I especially like the gratitude vibe he evokes. Gratitude thinking rocks, as opposed to deprivation thinking. Booooo, and a waste of our time.

Comment

I am here birthday twin to give you that well deserved boot :b&d: get yourself sorted woman you know you can do it!!!

It's funny how much we really do have in common, I have just applied for a course starting September too, it is a part time teaching one so I need to keep sober too so I can actually put some work into it (assuming I get a place) What is your course? I was going to join the gym again but talked myself out of wasting the money as I always quit going once the initial burst of energy leaves me (after about week 4 LOL)

Look forward to sharing our AF journeys :l
                  Taking it ODAT

Comment

Hi Mauri....phew, just in after mowing the lawn. It is lovely outside today.
                    It is a 2 year access course which paves the way to university. There are various subjects within the course depending what career you might be interested in. I haven't made my mind up yet but am leaning towards psychology, with a view to counselling. I'll be better informed when I get there and hear all the options. It's about time I pulled myself together - it's only taken 47 years!!!!!! (well, next week anyhow. Haha)
                    Mauri, go and join that gym; with your newfound sober life you will make the time. I joined in January and have to say that I have pretty much kept at it, bar the past few weeks. It's like I don't want to waste the money I have spent. If I use the gym, I also get a free swim and sauna; normally go 3 times a week. This is a crucial part of my staying sober. I may get there today, but if not, definitely back to it tomorrow. Helps in so many ways; feel better, look better, mood enhancer, tires you out which helps you get to sleep.
                    I am so good at talking the talk, now it's time to 'walk the walk'!!

Comment

I have decided that tomorrow is my official Day 1! I can't believe I have even got to that, as up until even this morning I was doubtful of even getting there this Summer.
                      I started this thread today and thanks to the responses I've had, I feel it was the push I needed to make a real move. I am so thankful I put it out there today.
                      Just half an hour ago I told my 17 year old that tomorrow is it and that I hope it will be my last quit.
                      I tried to explain how it was and thought letting her see this thread might help - she took the time and read and read; then she cried and hugged me.
                      I asked her if it helped her understand me - a definite yes and I then asked if she understood why I am so fearful of drinking for my children. I think it helped; I am glad I showed her, although, that is all she is getting - have to keep something for myself!
                      I did have to laugh though; when she got to the end of my post, she was all teary-eyed and looks up and says 'Mum, you are so cute!' Haha - not the response I expected but all good.

Comment

Yahoo Daisy! Yesterday was my day 1 - it did feel as if the day before really was as that was the decision day, but I had a beer before getting to the point of final decision. Today I feel on top of the world, trying to bottle the feeling as I know it won't last.
                        I love the posts here, Johnny's is great.
                        You have 68 days, I managed 66 days - lets beat our old successes!!!!
                        :l
                        “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Scottish Lass, you sound so good. I remember us being at the same point a long time ago. But today is a new day; yea, let's make it stick this time. We know what we want so need to keep our wits about us this time.
                          I want to log everything on this thread so that I can see and feel every step along the way.....I am chomping at the bit, looking forward to getting going. Back to the gym tomorrow and hopefully a swim in the evening.
                          I have dug out all my paintbrushes and set up the easel...
                          Getting my bike out for a makeover tomorrow. I'll park it in my hallway so that it is looking at me saying 'please take me out.....' Haha
                          Preparation, preparation..........

Comment

Daisy good for you, good luck for tomorrow and well done on your plans :l:l
                            Taking it ODAT

Comment

I have a really good feeling Mauri; so glad we are starting out together - about time these Leos came out to roar!!!! Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X