Weekly AA Thread - July 30 - Aug. 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone: Many thanks for the lively discussion of last week. Many thoughts going around in my head.

Hitting bottom: I didn't hit the bottom some people do, i.e. homelessness, jail, losses, etc. But, it was my bottom. I was miserable, guilt-ridden, alone, & scared. I knew I had to change. When I had a drunken experience that sent me to the ER, I knew that I would only get worse.

Admitting powerlessness: This is something I have to do frequently. I can get into the mindset of: "maybe I can have just one now" or "maybe I'm not so bad after all." I've heard too many stories of relapse that start out w/just those thoughts. In most of those stories, people go right back to high levels of drinking within a very short time. I won't go back there, so I admit I'm powerless.

HP: I try not to overthink the whole God/HP thing. I spoke to a guy last night who shared his skepticism w/his sponsor. The sponsor told him to keep a log of all the coincidences that come up in his life. Then he said: "Those aren't coincidences...that's God intervening in your life."

That's just a little of what I've been thinking. Thank you all for a lot of food for thought.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

One last item:

Yesterday was our yearly AA picnic. It was really a wonderful time...everyone participating. For some, it was the first time socializing wo/alcohol as a buffer. There was a lot of discussion about using AA funding for the picnic. To me, it's so beneficial to have an opportunity to be together w/my fellow AAers & have some fun. That's just my opinion. M
    October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi ALL,
      Last week was my last day doing secretary cant believe its been a whole year, did not want to let it go. But i do wish the person that takes it over will grow in confidences like i have...its made me believe in myself and given me courage and confidence so much. I have put myself forward to do GSR looking forward to it. It all helps in my recovery.

I have a funeral to go to 2moror a friend from the christian group passway of a overdose dont think he meant to do it. You know what it like have one more last one but the body cant take it.... feeling really sad, i meet this person in the library where i am now, knew he needed help ( in his eyes were dead beat and losts had a black plastic bag, that was a right give away that was) the following week ask him if he wanted to come to a christian group for addictions. He look forward to going every week was getting better ! He will be missed so much from the group. keep thinking his going to walk in the library it a weird feeling.

The weather nice outside must be on my way now got some shopping to do take care all.:l
      Catch22x
      Formerly known as Teardrop:l
      sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
      my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

We've lost some of our members as well...overdose, liver failure, suicide. It's terribly distressing, because help was only inches away. All we do is be there for people when they come back. Nobody can be forced into recovery. It is sad though. M
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Thank you for opening this thread RE (see I am in AA mentality already )

Some good food for thought, I haven't had a really dire rock bottom either (although if you read my post about what happened at a wine night at my sisters you may disagree!) what I mean to say is that I have never had a DUI, nor been arrested or ended up in hospital but I know that I have drunk enough to last a lifetime and enough is enough! I am definitely powerless over alcohol but I am not powerless to change!

The coincidence thing put me in mind of a poem I read years ago, I think it is called footprints, it never struck a chord with me until now but I have just read it and think it is appropriate to me finding my HP maybe.
          Taking it ODAT

Comment

retteacher;1357229 wrote: We've lost some of our members as well...overdose, liver failure, suicide. It's terribly distressing, because help was only inches away. All we do is be there for people when they come back. Nobody can be forced into recovery. It is sad though. M
            That must be awful, a guy in our group shared last week he had tried to commit suicide and that upset me greatly having lost my father to suicide
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Mary... I get your comments
              It's just a shame that they seem to be rather hard line in our meetings
              Were you a teacher?!? That's my job too...
              If my head clears I'm starting my log book tonight or tomorrow.
              I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

I taught special education (high school) for 25 years. I'm now retired. M
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Went to 2 meetings today and a yoga class tonight. Being a yogi, I am grateful to find a book written by a recovering yogi connecting the 12 steps to the yoga texts. I love the spiritual teachings of yoga....but, I now live in a city where the teachers don't correlate the practice to the teachings. I am glad that I got a good foundation of those teachings in my last city. I went through a very spiritual teacher training and I really miss that in my classes here.

The poses are designed to unblock the body and allow the spirit flow freely inside of you. Connecting the two makes it so much easier to understand how simple the 12 steps are.

In the past I over thought the whole AA thing. Actually, all that thinking went against every yogi principle. I no longer question aa. I have faith that they work and just do them.

I used to think that the people here were not as hardcore as I had remembered. However, i think it was my attitude towards AA that changed.

Comment

Greetings all,
                    I am home after 11 days away. My last meeting was Thursday, so that is 4 days without a meeting. A long time for me. I will be happy for the 630am meeting Tuesday.
                    Do what works for you and stay sober if that is your goal.
                    Love and Peace,
                    Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

Wow they have meetings so early where you live? I would be ok with that since my son gets me up with the lark every day!
                      Taking it ODAT

Comment

I have never got to grips with yoga, my mum used to do it years ago and I tried but I don't have the patience for holding the poses and all that breathing LOL

TheSunFlower;1357545 wrote: Went to 2 meetings today and a yoga class tonight. Being a yogi, I am grateful to find a book written by a recovering yogi connecting the 12 steps to the yoga texts. I love the spiritual teachings of yoga....but, I now live in a city where the teachers don't correlate the practice to the teachings. I am glad that I got a good foundation of those teachings in my last city. I went through a very spiritual teacher training and I really miss that in my classes here.

The poses are designed to unblock the body and allow the spirit flow freely inside of you. Connecting the two makes it so much easier to understand how simple the 12 steps are.

In the past I over thought the whole AA thing. Actually, all that thinking went against every yogi principle. I no longer question aa. I have faith that they work and just do them.

I used to think that the people here were not as hardcore as I had remembered. However, i think it was my attitude towards AA that changed.
                        Taking it ODAT

Comment

I tried yoga too but I felt like a cripple in a room of uber flexible people. Starting my step 1 work later
                          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

Comment

pingu1997;1357596 wrote: I tried yoga too but I felt like a cripple in a room of uber flexible people. Starting my step 1 work later
                            LOL Pingu!! Good luck with the work Dunno what I am going to do today but DS and I have cabin fever so need to go out somewhere now he is up and about again!
                            Taking it ODAT

Comment

mauritiusdodo;1357599 wrote: LOL Pingu!! Good luck with the work Dunno what I am going to do today but DS and I have cabin fever so need to go out somewhere now he is up and about again!
                              We're meant to be going on a picnic with one of Tiggers friends but it's raining. Also I wrongly sent a Facebook reply to some of the other mums with stuff on there I really didn't want them to read...so to save face maybe I'm secretly glad it's raining lol
                              It appears I am powerless over Facebook.......

Comment

Working...
                              X