Any rollerbladers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. I had bought some rollerblades awhile back, but became frustrated with them. I spent a lot of money on them, because the kid in the store said they were the best. Needless to say, I wasn't very good at it, and became disenchated very quickly. I would later come to find that they were most likely a bad idea for a beginner. I found out that the wheel size made a big difference. I obviously have rollerblades that are designed for somebody with expertise. I'd like to use them, but figure I should get a pair that is great for a beginner. A pair that I won't start moving so fast so quickly, and fall on my ass. If I can learn with a beginner's pair, I could then graduate to the rollerblades I have sitting in my closet. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    where does this go?

The one time I tried rollerblading they were much too tight in the toes and I ended up doing nerve damage to one of my toes and to this day I cannot feel the bottom of my toe. Not a sport for me I guess..........
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

My very first time roller blading was in Vegas! Out in the Summerlin area. I had such a blast. I see people every so often roller blading by my house. It really makes me want to get out there and do it again. I wish I weren't so fricken lazy sometimes LOL!

We rented them from a skate shop on Rainbow Blvd. They gave us 'beginner' skates. Wheel size and style does make a difference. It is so much fun. Don't give up on it. Maybe try renting a pair first. (they provided the pads as well). I can't remember the name or even if they are still there... but it may be worth checking out!

Comment

Lush, that is upsetting to hear. I hope you heal up.

Accountable, thanks for the tip. I didn't even think of renting. I've always been pretty athletic, so it was frustrating for me not to be able to just get up and go. I'll have to be patient and take it slow.

You said that you had a blast the first time you went. Are you a natural, or did you have ice skating or box skating experience? Would you say the beginner skates helped? Maybe you have better balance than I do, cause I did NOT have a blast. :upset:
        where does this go?

Comment

Ohhh.... back in the day I was very active. I use to run all of the time - participated in 10k runs a couple of times a year. I love to skate - grew up in BC where once upon a time ago, the ponds froze every year. Ahhhh... the good ol' days!

Don't get discouraged..... really, try again. You will have a blast. Get the gear suited for a beginner - and trust me you will have fun!

Comment

Thanks again accountable. I did get the protective gear when I first got my rollerblades. I want to do this before it hits triple digits in Vegas. I have a groin injury now too, so that isn't helping. Just wanted the advice now, so I can start looking into the right pair of skates. If I'm not comfortable, I won't be able to concentrate on learning. So you don't run anymore? I actually want to start jogging and biking again, but as I mentioned, I have to wait for this injury to heal and patience is not a virtue of mine.
            where does this go?

Comment

I was power walking quite a bit the last couple of years. We have had such crappy weather since October here it really is hard to get outside. I have a young child so, I can't drag her out in extreme weather. Spring is on the horizon however. I plan to get back at er'. Maybe start power walking again and then start jogging. (I have a jogging stroller - so it would be fun for both of us). I have so much blooming energy - I need to expell it. I am looking forward to getting back into an active lifestyle.

I hope your injury heals up soon. Patience isn't exactly a virtue of mine either. LOL!

Comment

Morrison, I'm all for the biking!!

All kidding aside - I once had a pair but ended up giving them up after a month or two. Nothing wrong with the sport, but at 6'4 I felt like I was A MILE up in the air, and the ground was a long (and hard) ways away.

Different strokes for different folks....
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Working...
                X