AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Good morning everyone...how are we all today then??All aboard for another af day??Had a bit better sleep last night though not exactly great..watched the Olympics..got to be honest GB did pretty good last night, so did Phelps tho.. 18 golds not bad at all..Didnt realise that the gold medals are actually silver with gold plate on them..what a rip off!
    Anyway, did another mod in the garden to keep the rabbits off the plants and to stop them chewing the fence, seems to have worked..short term until they find a way round it!!
    Rabbits nil.. wile e coyote 1 :H
    Apologies waffling already and having a brew and not offered any one else:sorry: Its on the go now , do get right in.

Good morninig Lifechange .. and how are you today??back in the game again? good girl..You are on the way already...watch out for them snakes!!Just make sure you have and use your strategy..thats the secret.Got every confidence in you.What are you up to today then?anything or chilling?Whatever it is stay strong...nuff said.

Porquoi..good morning to you..yep the mantle of responsibility falls to you with regards to the 60 dayer, so you need to keep us all in check so that we know when we hit the 60 point..Notice your mood is confident.. so good on you.What are you doing today??

Right coffee time for me..anyone else?? aaah thats better

Hi Dest how are you today?well did you go into the meeting yesterday?If so how was it?Did you get anything out of it?If you didnt go in how come?Thanks ref the garden..trouble is everything is through at the same time.. got to pickle beetroot this week!! already had potatoes broad beans, courgettes, shallots strawberries, rhubarb and cabbage..no not all in the same meal!!

Doglvr..wow good morning to you..did the arms work?? Triathlon you must have some energy for that.At present I am in training for the triwalking till toe gets sorted!:H

Cantoo..wow love the new avatar very nice..complete with nice vibrant positive colours..yes the rabbits are pets..strangely enough wouldnt be without tem now. Nearly right about the bird...not a cantoo.. toocan, spelt toucan..black and white, with a large yellow bill. Thought we had one in the garden.....but it was a magpie eating a banana! :H

Good morning Lavande..tea.. coffee? how are you this fine day? any break in the weather? Fascinates me when you say..have to work in the ac.. over here we are all cutting about in coats and hats.
    Ouch..that must have been sore with the blood clot..mind you, when I had my stroke thats what it was ..a blood clot in my brain blew open.Impressed me to bits..up till that point wasnt convinced I had a brain, or that it had come out of the wrapper!! What have you in store today?giving any more cars away?whatever it is ..enjoy

Sausage long time no hear..how are you?hows things in Jockland?Day 164 wow that is some feat well done.What you up to today?looking after bored kids?Wher abouts are you (not exactly)..anywhere near the coast or beaches?.Come back soon.

Sunflower...what can I say? there is a lot of wisdom and sense in your words..sharp reminder that none of us are infallible and have to be on guard How are you?Any plans for today?I noticed that when we went to a pub for a meal, the number of people not drinking al..funny how your awareness changes.At he end of this post, going to put up a point for discussion..just to see what people think.

Hi Kas..how are you?sounds like a real rigmarole at the border!!Sounds like you had a great day yesterday..glad your dry bag worked.I used to use one when I was scuba diving..remember once the cuff dump valve leaked..pretty crap in the pitch black at about 30 metres..you sort of think possibly a hobby change is in order!!Got to go with Lavande not into guns at all..had my time with them in the army.Problem is there are legitimate and genuine people with them,and then there are those that arent.There is no way of separating them out.You cant pigeon hole them.Anyway what are you doing today more of the same?

Here is a point I was thinking..cant see a right or wrong answer but good for discussion.
    So far since being af, I have found af beer and also cider...both tasted quite nice..in fact could not really taste any difference between them and those with alcoholic content.Do you think, by substituting them for alcohol, you are then making yourself dependent on them, which could lead to some tricky situations, say for instance you were out, or at a party and there was no af beer, the emphasis then shifts to the word beer as opposed to no alcohol .. no alcohol could become low alcohol, then just beer.
    Is it not better to stay away from drinks that specifically say non alcoholic like the above and drink soft drinks etc.That way you are not becoming dependent on one type of product and have a more diverse choice in the above mentioned scenarios??
    Just thought I would throw that in for a Sunday morning!!
    My other thread seems to have waned a bit need to push that one a bit to show everyone how widely used MWO is.
    Right peeps going now, wherever you are whatever you are doing stay strong and have a great af day including those not mentioned by name
    Mick
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Morning Mick and all to follow

Yes the Olympics was great last night for those supporting GB!

Mick, I'm normally on the East coast but this weekend we are visiting some of my husbands family who live on the west side.

When I went AF the last time 3 yrs ago I did drink a lot of AF beer (Cobra zero) which I did enjoy although I was never really a beer drinker. However I now can't have gluten so that rules out beer. I think there's nothing wrong in having them sometimes if you like them as long as you don't have them every day , so you are not totally reliant if they makes sense, and happy to have an alternative AF drink incas e you are out and it's not available.

Well its humid and cloudy today - looks like it may tip it down soon, could do with a storm to clear the air.

Have a great AF day everyone.

Sausage x
    Day 164

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

good morning MIck and Sausage!!
      i had a coffee while reading your posts--thanks, Mick!-- and now i'm having a tea. i would love to hear your recipe for the pickled beetroot. i've never had one that i really like, but i love the idea and would like to preserve some.

i feel much more positive today and am so grateful to all of you for being so supportive. i was so scared to sign on and was feeling like th biggest failure on this planet. now i realize i can turn this around. i can positively jump right back in there, more prepared, with open eyes. thank you Porquoi for posting that article. it was great for me to read yesterday-- i can see now that i was not really doing the work that needs to be done. i was like they described as one of those who want to passively recover--taking the easy road. i'm going to try a different approach this time! just last week i was complaining about how having this "obsession" with sobriety was getting on my nerves. that should have been a warning sign. i was only a couple of weeks into it. i want to read more, a lot more, about how to stay sober. i've made a plan-- and have basically decided that i won't be around people who drink for the next month. (the dinner party was at MY house! how dumb was that?) i have to work very hard on building up my self esteem on a daily basis. and exercising/eating well on a daily basis. in the article they talk about making a meaningful goal for yourself. something important you want to learn or do for a certain period of time and then working like crazy to succeed at it. have any of you tried that?
      i'm a little bit scared but i think for now i just have to look at the one day at a time again. not get too far ahead of myself. i have to get back my sense of the blind faith.

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Lav, you've always stressed the importance of having a plan for each potentially dangerous situation. i definately didn't take the time to make a plan. to be honest my only plan the entire time was just not to drink. that's good, but i probably need to be more realistic in really thinking through possible scenarios. i've been lazy, i guess.
        Dest, Sunflower and Cantoo you all sound really great. and Kaslo, i thank you for your support.
        i'm so happy to be af on this rainy sunday.
        Life

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

big hugs to Doglover!! and Shue and Lilly and Turn and Pap.
          i was reading on the other abs thread and some people were talking about PAWS.
          that may really be something to look into? i hadn't heard of it before, but i think i suffer from many of the symptoms. i've been writing myself off to being "crazy" as i'm on a constant roller coaster. i always thought i'd look at myself more closely after having a longer period of af time-- but maybe it's not a bad idea to look a bit more NOW.

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Late check in from Satzland. Where all is well. It's raining - but I would start to worry if it didn't rain at this stage in this Irish "Summer".
            Love being clear headed on Sunday morning. Mind you it didn't get me out of bed any earlier.:H

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Good morning Abbers,

It's a regular steambath here - yuck!
              I am not a fan of this weather, bless the AC

Thanks for the coffee & starting us up Mick!
              Looks like we both know the true meaning of trauma & what it takes to get past all that. We are both lucky to be alive & here today
              I am done giving cars away for now but I'll put you on my list for the next one available :H
              About the AF beers & wine - I have stayed away from all that primarily because I broke the connections with 'drinking' & just don't want to play mind games. I don't think it would take much to convince myself that as long as I am 'drinking' I may as well have the real stuff

Well, I need to get some things repaired around here today! I hope to be able to convince my long confused, MIA spouse YB when he shows up later.....tired of handing him free meals for nothing :H

Greetings Sausage, Life, Satz & everyone! I'm jealous of your rainy, cooler weather conditions

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!
              Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Getting ready to workout...and spend a nice day at home catching up on little things.

Mick....if I have any wisdom at all.....is from trying every single thing that does not work for me. Being in almost every situation and failing. And failing again and again and again!

I did the AF beer thing a few years back when i quit for several months. That lasted about a month....and without the effect of alcohol I simply lost the taste for it. I know a friend of mine who is over 20 years sober and he drinks AF beer on occasion. So I think it's a personal choice.

I had to laugh at myself last night. My mind had cleared by the time we got to the place my hubby was playing at. Joke would have been on me.....they did not serve alcohol....and it was just plain amazing the number of people who went there....on a Saturday night of all days.

I do find when I am out in a place that serves al....I dont look at the people or the food....just seem obsessed with what strangers are drinking. None of my freaking business!

LifeChange....I agree about the goal. It has to be meaningful to you or you simply will not do it. For me it's spending time with my kids just laughing, getting into shape (slowly) and I have found at least 8 meetings a week that I really enjoy being at. There are some meetings that I simply do not like and there is no sense in going to them.

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Good Morning Mick, Sausage, Lifechange, Satz, Lavande and all to come. Feeling very positive again today, something tells me to be careful, don't want to convince myself that I'm invinsable, cause I'm not.

On to my duties. As Mick has appointed me "60 Day Tracker" I'd better make sure I have my facts straight to begin with. As I calculate it, and you can't count today as it's not over yet....

Mick 31 days; Satz 34 days; LillyE 35 days; PQ 37 days...Please check my math and let me know if I've cheated anyone out of an AF day. Need to get my starting numbers if I'm going to do this right.

Off to my weekly home group meeting this morning. Looking forward to having coffee with all my new found friends. And to think, a month ago it was only me, myself and I.

Have a great AF Sunday everyone. PQ

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Hello everyone.

Read and a little housework yesterday did not get out. I am looking forward to my hike tomorrow morning. And did decide to take the kids to BC for the labour day long weekend (kids...17 & 20).

Re: AF beer. Too soon for me to even contemplate that one because I love beer... Ugh. But I have latched on to the soda and lime - its got a freshness to it like a cold beer on a hot day..... :-(

Lifechange sounds like you made a new 30 day plan.

Off to try and check another thing off my list #1. Organize a room. De-clutter and get rid of the unwanted crap. From the room and my mind.

On day 10. Have a great Sunday everyone.

PS. I have put in a request for a name change.
                    AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

CantDoItOnMyOwn;1360343 wrote: ...PS. I have put in a request for a name change.
                      Did you pick CANTOO?

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Good morning all you AFers, you all sound terrific. Mick as usual, I get a chuckle out of you first thing in the morning... I also wanted to say I thought your garden looked very organized and attractive.

I have an opinion (does that surprize yez?) re mocktails vs AF drinks. It never occurred to me to try them when I first quit. Like Lav I felt I needed to have a clear break and besides I was thoroughly sick of AL by the time I quit. However now and again I have a dealc apple cider which tastes exactly like the Al one (I think it!?) and is quite refreshing on a hot day. For a while there I was drinking it as a wine substitute for nice meals, (Back when I drank, I fancied myself a wine enthusiast as a part of my cuisine, what a laff). I am always aware of the thin edge of the wedge, though.

One thing I have really noticed is that after a year and a half now of no Al, I no longer obsess on it, although I do come here each day to hopefully assist and encourage people, but I just dont really need an AL substitute, I find I now can say I would prefer a raspberry spritzer or a cranberry pomegranate on ice, more than something with that slightly rotten taste.

I wonder how many people actually DO use dealc drinks and then transition back to alcohol? Versus those who quit, stay away from anything remotely resembling AL and stay quit. Staying quit is challenging, but it can be done for sure. If I can do it, anyone can.

We are I think going up to Kaslo to take in the Jazz fest then going over to Box Lake for paddle on a QUIET no jetski no jetboat, Don Johnson definetely not allowed lake. Then either home to the pool, or overnight out there somewhere.

All the best to you. You should read back over your posts, you would not believe the improvement in tone and content, in general positive vibes and happiness. Happiness rocks, doesnt it?

Kas
                        Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Good morning everyone...and thanks once again for the coffee Mick!

I went to my first AA meeting yesterday morning and yes...I did go in! I didn't creep in the parking lot...HA! It was for women only and there were maybe about 20ish people there. Although I felt like a fish out of water everyone was really warm and welcoming. The woman next to me introduced herself and when I told her I was 12 days AF she was all excited and had me go up and get my white chip when it came time to get them. Awkward..yes...I am very shy and uneasy in groups of people when I don't have a safety net of someone that I know with me. But I id it and I was invited to another meeting being held that night which was closer to me. I went to that one too and was totally overwhelmed...it was men and women and there were over 100 people there...I sat in the back in the corner and listened to the speaker.
                          I am still not quite sure how all this AA stuff works so I am going to a meeting today that is called "Keeping it Simple...for the beginner"...I think that should clarify some things for me.

Wishing everyone a happy AF Sunday!!!!! Keep on keeping on!!!!
                          AB Club Member
                          AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

:goodjob: Destiniey was thinking of you this morning.

Comment

AF day Sunday 5th Aug

Awww...thanks Porq....that means alot!:h
                              AB Club Member
                              AB Start Date - 7/25/12

10 Months AF - 5/24/13 :yay:

:heart:I would rather be addicted to my horses than alcohol:heart:

Comment

Working...
                              X