Naltrexone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naltrexone

Howdy folks, I'm back again, starting over again....hoping I can do it this time. Decided to consult a shrink this time, and got the drug Naltrexone. Anybody got experience with this stuff? I started it last night and it was really wierd. I had a panic attack, and felt really high, but not in a good way. I worked it out, but not sure I want to take it again. I've got a call into my doc but havent' heard back yet. So if any of you have any words of wisdom or warnings about this drug I'd really appreciate it.

Naltrexone

Hi Shedot,

I took this some years ago and it was really helpful. I'm trying to get some again to quit smoking, but they won't prescribe it for that purpose. I think anytime you take a powerful drug the first few times is a little weird. Try to hang on for a few days to see if the major symptoms disappear.

Good Luck
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Naltrexone

Just talked to my doc, she has never had anyone report what I did, so it could have been me and my panic disorder....I'm going to keep trying and we'll see what it does! Thanks!

Comment

Naltrexone

Shedot, I copied this off the Medline website for you. Glad you are back. So nice to hear from you again!

Naltrexone may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

upset stomach
        anxiety
        nervousness
        muscle or joint pain
        If you experience any of the following symptoms or those listed in the IMPORTANT WARNING section, call your doctor immediately:

confusion
        drowsiness
        hallucinations
        vomiting
        diarrhea
        bone and joint pain
        skin crawling
        stomach pain
        white bowel movements
        skin rash
        blurred vision

Comment

Naltrexone

Similar situation with other meds

Shedot. About a year ago I starting taking Lamictal and Seroquel for my mood swings. For the first week, I felt very weird, and anxious, and had trouble sleeping. Very fuzzy brain, hard to breath. Very much like a panic attack. I figured it would take my body a bit to get used to it. The feelings went away after a week. I don't know if those feeling will go away for you, but it might just be your body fighting something foreign. Did you pdoc recommed starting with a smaller dose then working up? I've read that side effects are much more common when over-medicating.
          where does this go?

Comment

Naltrexone

Hi Shedot and others. I started Naltrexone today and have been hearing a high piched "ringing" from time to time. I feel great, though. It seems to to take the edge off and my cravings are less.

Comment

Naltrexone

naltrexone 5 weeks

Hi Shedot,

i started Naltrexone 5 weeks ago, the initial dose can sometimes cause side effects... did you take 50 mg by any chance?

Initial dose should be 25mg then take further 25mg hour later after monitoring for side effects..

I felt 'stoned' as if I had been smoking cannabis for the first 3 days, then after that, no side effects at all.... bar strange sleep pattern but thats more likely to be booze.....(or lack of)

Main side effect reported is nausea.. (have you had blood tests before taking it??)

Come back and tell us how you are doing!

Sarah
              :new:

Comment

Naltrexone

Sorry folks it's been such a while since I last posted regarding my meds. But with the Naltrexolene or however you spell it. I cut back on the dosage, went from 300 mg to 150
                (1/2 pill) for a week, and am now up to full dose. Feel pretty good! Don't think about the alcohol nearly as much. The first time I took it, felt really wierd and I suspect that it was just my body getting used to it. Oh and I felt kind of stoned for the first few days too, now that feeling is gone (and I kind of miss it, being that I like that feeling ) All is well, and I've been AF for 22 days! Thanks for all your replies! Hope to stay in touch more....

Comment

Naltrexone

Go shedot! I am looking into this med, I think it might be the answer for me. Does anyone know if it can be taken with antidepressants at all?
                  :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                  Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Naltrexone

How did you do that? you must know how to use a computer realy well.

Comment

Naltrexone

Do what Marco?

Comment

Naltrexone

Tahlula

I am taking the nal with effexor xr, nerontin (anxiety), and xanax when needed. So yes to answer your queiston it can be taken with anti depressants. I am not a doctor however, so it's always best to check with your doctor before doing anthing.

Comment

Naltrexone

Thank you shedot xx

Comment

Naltrexone

on-the-up;102847 wrote:

the initial dose can sometimes cause side effects...

I felt 'stoned' as if I had been smoking cannabis for the first 3 days, then after that, no side effects at all.... bar strange sleep pattern but thats more likely to be booze.....(or lack of)

Main side effect reported is nausea.. (have you had blood tests before taking it??)
                            You're scaring me. I have my script, but didn't take any because I work with equipment that can really rip someone apart. I'm not trying this stuff on a working day.

Comment

Naltrexone

Depends on how you handle being stoned....he he...hhhmmm that might be funny to some. Anywho, probably not a bad idea Theo, and one piece of adivse that my doc gave me which I failed to follow twice and didn't like the feeling it gave me was to be sure and have a full stomach. I've taken it on an empty stomach 2 times and boy did it make me feel wierd. Not like being stoned, but more like anxiety mixed with semi stroke symptoms. Felt VERY clumsy and wired - not good for me. Start with a low dose, full stomach and maybe before bed. Then go from there....It's good stuff, you just have to get used to it and take it as prescribed. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X