AF day Friday 10th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yippee..I can walk again!!Good morning you wonderful people.. how are we all today??Ready for another great af weekend?anyone got any special plans for the weekend?Tea n coffee on..cup number 1 on the go..
    Well, went to hosp with this toe yesterday.. be sad if I went without it! Saw different doctor..he basically told me the left side of nail had smashed and a bit was growing through the side and a bit through the top.Options were..to leave it and see what happens, wait for a slot on general surgery or let him try and take it out...went for option 3.. wow it was sore!!sweating the lot..had to pick my eyes off the floor a couple of times, but he got the bits out.The immediate relief was brilliant.got to rest it for a couple of days and thats it..back to normal.Dentist this morning for a root filling and thats me brand new

Shue good morning to you..on the treadmill now?I love early mornings too.so calm and peaceful before the world puts its silly head on.Glad you dont let work get to you,its so easy to fall into that trap. anything planned for the weekend?

TDN..CAN I call you that..its easier..good morning .we havent met but welcome to the madhouse.You say you let yourself down and your husband and dogs?You had the courage to come back again, after 6 months af and say oops, so well done.You have done it before, so you can do it again..just fix the bit that went wrong in your plan....quick guess, I would say you got complacent about it.You are right ..you cant stay away from people that drink..just like you cant stay away from smokers, you just have to personalise it and say it is something you don't do.Quick, grab a coffee.How are the 2 dogs that aren't well?

Morning pq..and the 60 day count is???.........just keeping you on your toes :H Well done you for yesterday and not taking a drink.Nice strategy...different version of surfing the urge but same outcome.Reckon that happens to us all...a great and satisfying day and you think ..nice job, feet up have a drink and relax.. thats when the wee man tries to get in.. think the secret is trying to change that reward for the nice day.. replace the alc with something else.I just read your first and second posts..you do it..see the difference between them and the one you just posted.. there is a huge difference, even including the way you feel about yourself..it comes through.

Morning YAH..... another abbreviation! how are you this fine day? having another brew ..you want one. I also love Turkish flavoured tea, apple, cherry , kiwi etc.Currently on kiwi yum yum.Cant get it over here .Last time I went to Turkey, virtually brought a caseload back..International tea smuggling!!!Toe feels better hopefully on treadmill next week.Glad you have lost a pound...certainly glad you are this side of the fence too...well done you.

Hi Satz, how are you?apart from filling your car up with sweeties?Glad you are doing ok..any more thoughts on this wedding coming up?I havent worked a plan yet..but if I start with a definite no ,then work out the how, why what where when, sure something will emerge.As for fishermens friends ..the Lofthouse factory is about 30 miles from here..Tried the cherry ones not so long ago they were very moreish!

Lav..what can I say?..at least we know what you are doing today... rebuilding a house :H:H
    Have the grandchildren gone or are we on demolition day 2?No weather improvement for you?

Turn again...good morning??? you seem to be well.Thanks for the words of encouragement..Love to see more of that scenery that is in your avatar!!

Hi sunflower...rain?whats that :H.go on take that holiday..as far as thoughts on future drinking go..think you sum it all up here:
    I like the AF life so much, I think I will try it for one more day!

Hi Sausage wow nearly there..you can do it..just get rid of the wee man out of your head.Are you back home yet or still west coast?
    Your bottom comment on your post should be a pretty good incentive not to give in!!Hurry back.

Good morning cantoo and how are you today a!t the start of your day 14? Just read your first post too..bet you didnt think then you would be reading 3 books in a week!Hmmm single?..now I wonder what those books were?
    You dont need to hope you can change to cantoo...you are changing!!

Right folks .. I'm off now..brilliant article on ebay..at ?4.99!! an empty bottle..here is the blurb that goes with it

So you weren't one of the lucky ones, unable to travel to London for whatever reason and soak up the exhilarating atmosphere, well maybe a little bit of that ambiance can come to you! How would you like the unique opportunity to own a one of a kind never to be reproduced novelty gift item from the London 2012 Olympics? - Bottled Atmosphere!
    Yes that's right the beautiful East London air has been captured in a preserving bottle for you to display and take pride of place on your mantelpiece, bookshelf or desk and eventually be passed on to future generations of your family...........or if you prefer, you can open it and use the bottle to preserve pickles.

Perhaps we can sell alcohol free air!!!

Have a great weekend to all here and elsewhere

Mick
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Good glorious morning, fabbies !!!

I feel top of the twig after another hour sweating on the treadmill. Gosh, I remember the times the endorphins would keep me high pretty much all day. I want that back, that feeling of calmness, that no matter what happens during the day I did my exercise, charged my batteries and I can deal with anything.

Mick, good for you for taking option 3!!! Must have been hard! Cherry Fisherman’s ?!? traitor !!!! There can only be ONE … the original … my colleagues joke with me they are so strong they can open all your chakras. I take them on the airplane a lot, short flights are the worst (smaller planes, flying lower altitude means more turbulence) ; one time, the guy sitting next to me looked longingly as I opened the Fisherman’s, I offered him one – and then saw his eyes pop out … he was too embarrassed to spit it out, seatbelt sign was on. I apologized for not warning him, offered him a tissue and looked away.

Turn, how is the hubbs? I hope you get the most out of your short summer. Big hug.

TND
    - how are you today? :h:h:h

Right, best get going on that to do list – travelling to the golf villa later . There is another family coming with us, the husband is Irish and loves golf and drinking equally – his Dutch wife is my very good friend who knows I am not drinking.

TGIFF, fabbies!!
    workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

OK Shue....lets get it right..who is going to be in the bikinis this time :H:H:H:H:H
      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

hopefully the new golf pro ... he's a hunky Swede.
        workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

Knew I could rely on you...but why would you want to see a turnip in a bikini :H:H:H

Comment

Hi all!

I've missed you! Arm is better, though still need to take it a bit easier than I have been but work has been kicking my arse - in a good way really, it's just super busy all of a sudden. Long days/eves this week and shall be working pretty much all weekend too.

It'll be six weeks AF on Sunday which feels terrific to say! That said, I have felt slippery thoughts creep in lately (like 'why am I doing this again?' 'am I being too extreme?' 'do I really have that big a problem?' blah blah - you all know the drill.) I haven't had/put enough time into combatting them this week - needs to be a priority I know.

That said, Sausage, I've been rereading Vale's book this week for the reasons above and as you mentioned. Likewise reminds me why it's so important to keep coming here even when I'm busy. I like vale's positive take (e.g. you're not missing out on anything) though I struggle with his whole 'there's no such thing as alcoholism and recovery is nonsense' stuff. What are your thoughts? I reckon, as Lav said, that the best thing you possibly reread right now is your own thread!!! If you haven't already. Do stay close and stay strong.

Mick, glad to read you're almost back to brand spanking new! Yeesh you have been in the wars you poor man. Your daughter's birthday sounded lovely. Thought it was pretty funny you said "Vivienne Westwood earrings blah blah" and of course some of us read that as VIVIENNE WESTWOOD EARRINGS!!! *envy* Lucky girl.

Oh Life, I feel for you. I know just how you feel. It feels never ending sometimes doesn't it - the other people drinking around us, the references, the invites, the temptations - and I've been fighting those 'feeling left out' feelings too. We just have to remember why and how it IS different for us and we CAN'T go there - I say this to myself as much as you right now as while I haven't had anything to drink I feel a wee bit shaky too. I do really worry about you having the party at your house though. Maybe I'm too late here but can that possibly be avoided? Could they have it out and could you not go?

Three Dog Night - welcome back! I'm not sure what's going on with you - will look for your threads - but we're here to listen and support you.

Shue
            I am so happy you talked honestly to that teenager about your own drinking. Sad about her Dad but better if other adults who've been there treat her like an adult and talk honestly about what she's dealing with in regards to him. (And given she could therefore be genetically prone to it herself al the more reason to discuss the realities with her.) What did she have to say? I loved reading your chirpy morning post the other day btw - it really lifted my spirts. Yay for you rediscovering yourself in all your positive glory! Way more important than work/$ but, yes, you'll do better at sorting that stuff out when you're free, clear-headed and high-spirited.

I realized today that my life is already changing for the better because of being AF for just six weeks! Not only am I feeling better mentally and physically but small steady changes are starting to pay off. I've lost weight. I'm seeking out new things. For one thing, I'm getting to tutor at a workshop with a famous Aussie author I admire! I'm not sure that would have happened had I not been putting in all the time I have been of late with the writing centre. So excited! I already know it's going to be really stimulating and inspiring.

Young
            , I've lost over 5 pounds of late. Look forward to more to come

Cantoo
            - Ha ha have you been reading something that starts with rhymes-with-nifty per chance? Hope you're doing well and feeling positive.

Sorry if I've missed any key posts anyone - I've had to speed read a bit to catch up on this week!

Ok, night all!

Lilly x

Comment

Hey Mick and Shue - we're all online. Let's have a little pizza party :threesome:

Ok, well I'd love some pizza party here, being as it's nearly 8pm on a Friday night but you're presumably both up at the crack of dawn working out (Shue) and making tea and scones for all (Mick)

I would totally chat you guys right now only I really need to get off the computer as it's been a 12+ hour day on it and counting.

Have a terrific day and super sober Saturday (loves me some alliteration)

:l

Comment

Good morning, Abbers!
                Thanks for gttting this started every morning, Mick! Was doing that myself a few months back. Love reading your posts--so full of "beans," as Shue would say! Glad that toe is better, but procedure sounds awful! Not sure I could have handled it!
                Shue, you sound great! You have been instrumental in getting me back here.
                Lilly, you, too, sound so strong and determined, just as you should be! I never read the Jason Vle book, but I think he is wrong when he says that alcoholism doesn't exist. I did read the Allan Carr book, but it was awhile ago, and maybe I should go back and read it again. I do have a great DD called YOU CAN HEAL YOUR LIFE by Louise Hay and hae watched it once. Hoping to watch it again thie weekend. Also have Touching The Divine book and CD and need to start listening that CD each day. I've ordered BLAME, which a few of you recommended, and hope that arrives soon.
                YAH, Lav, Turn, Sausage, and all--wishing you a great AF day! Have to work and then hair appt, but will check in later tonight.
                Day 2 and feeling pretty good! Will take all my itamins and supps today, and try to eat healthy! Slept fairly well last night after drinking my chamomile tea.
                :lTDN
                "One day at a time."

Comment

Good morning, fabbies!

Got through the week okay, but I am a little concerned about the weekend--mostly boredom or feeling lonely seem to be triggers for me. I do have a dance lesson tonight, so if I'm feeling the crave this afternoon, I'll just get me a little nap. I've been feeling rather tired since letting go of the wine. Also, I've got some aches and pains that daily drinking seemed to keep at bay. Hello, Advil!

It is a beautiful rainy morning here, and given all the drought in so much of the US, I am happy for it.

I'm glad you have gotten some relief for your toe, Mick. I'm sure in a day or so, you will be up and running!

Enjoy your weekend, Shue! I admire you for getting up early to get on the treadmill.

I enjoyed your post Lilly, hang in there with the temptations. I have found myself already planning my next drinking excursion, then I have to remind myself again that if I didn't have an alcohol problem, why would I be planning to drink, oh, six weeks from now? Doesn't make sense. The denial is so insidious and we always have to be on guard......

It sounds like you are on a good path, TDN, keep up the good work!

Don't worry about abbreviating my name to YAH; in fact, my nickname has become YahYah, and I love it. I've never had a nickname before.

Happy AB's Friday, all! Keep the faith!
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Morning Mick, Shue, Lilly, TDN and all to come...

Here's today's count...Mick 37, Satz/Lilly 39, Ann 42 hope I got it right this time.

TDN my day 2 was worse than my day 1. You sound pretty positive, keep it up.:goodjob:

Mick glad you got the bottom T sorted out, now for the top T.

YahYah I like that. Name changes everywhere!!

Lilly
                    glad the arm is better. Six weeks soon, feels pretty good doesn't it!

Shue
                    "top of the twig" I love it. All these new sayings.

Early morning (7am) meeting today, starting the day off right. Have a great AF Friday everyone. PQ

Comment

Alliteration Lilly??

wonderful weekend wording......lovely lyrics Lilly... sobering stanzas, Saturday, Sunday!!

Comment

Good morning Abbers!

From the looks of things going on outside right now (thunder, lightning, pouring rain)
                        I think I'm going to have an inside day!
                        Slept like a rock last night after yeterday's fun filled day with the kids. I can't tell you how many times I pulled the 16 month old off of the kitchen table....I think he's part monkey, such a climber :H

Mick, your toe is bound to heal up now, sorry you had to go through all that!
                        I sell on ebay too but have never attempted to sell a bottle of air - that's hysterical :H
                        Good luck with the tooth today!!

shue, glad you are feeling so well, enjoy your weekend

Lilly, great that your arm is improving!
                        We definitely will get a pizza party going for you on Sunday - 6 AF weeks = awesome :yay:
                        I'll be bringing a homemade vegan pizza........something I have learned to like (out of necessity)

Glad you are up bright & early on day 2 TDN - hope yor day is a good one!
                        Mick is an early riser & across the pond so we are used to him making the coffee!!!

YahYah, my aches & pains came to the surface too once I removed the wine BUT a couple doses of arthritis strength Tylenol & some Glucosamine/MSM daily along with some regular exercise has helped me out a lot. Seriously, I am moving at great speed to keep up with the grandkids, dogs, chickens & lifting a fair amount of weight (3 1/2 yr old) & feeling pretty good

Greetings porqoui, hope you are having a great day!

OK, time now to decide what to do first around here today!
                        Have a great AF Friday!
                        Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

hello all you lovely abbers!!
                          happy friday. i wasn't able to post yesterday 'cause i was again DEAD tired! but i read you all. thanks so much for all the support -- i ended up going in my room, calling my mom and crying my eyes out. i think i was exhausted to the bones.
                          Lav, it helped to read to let those guys do what they want. it's true and when i'm feeling "normal" it doesn't bother me--i am such a control freak sometimes and it's something i'm working to change. thanks for posting the med. link again. that is a habit i want to pick up-- and i guess i should before this 10 day retreat i have at the end of the month. Yikes!!!
                          Mick!! so happy to hear about the toe. i'm so happy he's healing, poor little guy. you must feel FREEE--- thanks so much for the coffee. i know i'll be up all night for it!
                          TDN, i'm very happy to see you back here. i always really liked reading your posts back when i was a lurker here. now i get to join in!! i hope your dogs are ok.
                          Lilly!! i'm so glad to see you, too. i guess i'm a bit of a mother hen myself. i always worry if someone isn't around for a day. no pressure, mind you! you sound good-- and what a great opportunity you have coming up with the author. i'd love some rec.'s of your fav. australian authors-- oh yeah. wanted to say we live in a flat in a house with about 15 other flats-- and the party is in the courtyard and is an annual get- together. it starts at 1730 and i think i will go early to make an appearance and then leave.

Comment

Cantoo, tell me the names of the books! please... i would love to ge into some gripping (possibly hot) story this weekend. it could possibly save me from the t.v. party going on in the living room. i swear to god i'm goiing to chuck that thing out the window one of these day. actually,most likely, another one would be sitting in it's place the next day and we don't have the money for that right now!!
                            Shue, i also think it's great you could talk to the daughter of your friend about al. maybe that will make it possible for her to come to you at some point if she needs to open up. good on you. have a great time with the hunky swedes!!
                            big hugs to Porquoi and Sunflower and Turn!! and Kaslo if you check in.

Comment

i'm getting my names all messed up. that's what i get for not writing yesterday!
                              YahYah! love the nick name! you sound like you're doing really well!
                              and hello to Satz and Sausage. Sausage, you're also doing so well now. keep it up, keep it up. i remember when you started this last time and i've been following you--i'm very inspired by your story.
                              have a wonderful friday, you all.
                              i will check in after i escape the party. ughh! truth be told, if i hadn't missed it the past 3 years i wouldn't even go. not even if i was drinking!!--hows that for antisocial?
                              Life

Comment

Working...
                              X