Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - Aug. 20 - 26

Everyone:

It was a great week w/my son & g-kids. I did many of my usual meetings which kept me balanced. I carved out time for myself & did what was good for me. I'm finding as I go along in AA that the program helps me so much w/combatting the behaviors that have not served me well over the years.

I have a lot of work to do w/my character defects but am making progress w/the help of the steps.

I feel so fortunate that I have found women whom I can identify with. Yes, the meetings are largely male, but I usually feel OK about that. And we women kind of "hang together."

I hope all is well. I'm going to my usual speaker meeting tonight.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Mary, I miss typing with you. I'm glad things are going well.
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Deter: I don't get around the forums the way I used to, but it was lovely seeing you here. I'm doing well...grateful to be sober today. Do you go to AA? Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary! Thanks for kicking us off as usual. Character defects is an interesting topic. Just talked about that a lot at a recent meeting. I really just was confused and wanting to ignore the whole topic for a long time. Just didn't really want to "go there" even when i went through Steps 6/7 with my then sponsor. I just scratched the surface of understanding which I now see is pretty common. We do as much as we are willing/able at the time, right?

I am thankful to be getting more open minded about character defects, understanding mine with more depth, and truly being willing to have HP remove them. The "humbly asking" part is still a challenge for me, but I do the best that I can. I'm beginning to have faith that all of these things will come easier as I keep trudging the road of happy destiny! :H

Det - so wonderful to see you here AND at AF Daily!!!!!! That sounds like a horrible patch you have gone through re: the ADs'. I'm just glad you are back with us now. Today is what matters. Well, that and garlic.

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: I'm just beginning to realize that the more honest I am about my character defects, the better & happier I can be in the future. My problem is that when I don't keep those character defects in the upper most part of my mind, I fall right back into them. I now see why meetings & working the steps is so important. To me, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind. M
          October 3, 2012

Comment

haven't done much with AA as of yet. I keep kicking around the idea though
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Mary I agree. And I have come to CHERISH my peace of mind. I really don't like feeling agitated, angry, etc. I try to really be careful what I allow my brain to be fed, and be conscious of how I react to things which is where my character defects come into play. Who knew we didn't have to be "victims" of our lives and surroundings - just adrift from emotion to emotion? I like the idea that with a spiritual base, I can achieve peace of mind no matter what is going on around me. I am not 100% successful but life is sure a lot more peaceful than it used to be!

Det - I wish you well in your searching and consideration of AA and your recovery program overall. It never hurts to just go to some meetings and see how you feel.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: AA is so much about changing our thinking & behaving. It's really very simple. We don't have to be tossed around by our emotions all the time. I drank because my feelings felt very overwhelming. Now, I can choose a different thought, belief, or behavior. This morning my husb & I went kayaking, & he was getting under my skin as only he can do. I just said the Serenity Prayer & went on w/my life...taking joy in the beautiful lake & my adorable dog who comes w/me in the kayak.

Deter: AA was a necessity for me. I could not get sober wo/it. I cannot stay sober wo/it. It's as simple as that. Thank God after 3 years, I love the program, the steps, & the people in the fellowship. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.

Mary
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary - I smiled when I imagined you and your little doggy kayaking together! I can relate to spouses getting under the skin as only they can do. (and I love my DH greatly - he is a wonderful man!) I love the serenity prayer and what it tells me about letting things go that I can't control. In the old days, I would let some perceived slight ruin my day. I did that drunk and I also did that during the 8 months or so of AFness before I went to A. I guess that would be a dry drunk thing. Anyway....peace of mind is precious and AA sure helped me find that.

The fellowship has become an important part of my life. Meetings help me stay grounded. A really self centered point of view seems to really take hold if I drift away from the program. I suppose that is no different than exercise. If I don't use my muscles I lose them to some degree. I might not forget how to ride the bike, but I won't be doing any long rides if I don't stay in shape. The same is true for me in AA. To maintain the peace of mind I cherish, I do best staying active. For me that is fellowship and meeting attendance, especially with my sober sisters, and sponsorship. And other stuff too but those are at the top of my list. Those are the things that keep me connected even when I don't feel like it.

I am going to a meeting this morning and giving one of my sober sisters who has lost driving privileges a ride home. I would have used school starting this week as an excuse not to go if I hadn't made this committment. I am up and ready to go and already glad I am going. I know the meeting and then spending time with my friend will be a benefit to me and something I will enjoy. But I would have skipped it???? Why?????? Funny how that all works. My brain just isn't right LOL!

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

DG: I absolutely know how easy it is to convince myself that I can stay home from a meeting. Why? Who knows why! Laziness I guess.

I too need meetings to keep my mind from going astray. I don't think about drinking, but I do let myself worry, resent, obsess, go in circles, etc. if I don't stay connected.

Last night's meeting is a small study group on the first 164 pages of the BB. It's an interesting meeting & very in-depth. We read the chapt to the employers. It brought me back to trying to work through severe hangovers. I need that reminder, as my mind can always go straight to denial.

I just wanted to let you know that after 2 years as a widow, my mother is doing well. She's in an independent care facility which looks very much like a 4 star hotel. She's made friends & has activities. Of course, she misses my dad but she realizes that the quality of his life at the end was not very good. Tell you mom to keep her chin up...it will get better as time goes on.

Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Last night's meeting was on the 4th step. It was very good to be reminded that my moral compass had gone completely out of wack while I was drinking. I cannot indulge in my character defects, because that's a sure path back to drinking.

Two of the guys at last night's meeting were just coming back after quite a while "out there." It was nice to see them back. I hope they stay.
                      October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary, DG, Det and all to come,

I attended 3 meetings this week (same group). A record for me. Good bunch of folks, and i'm always warmly welcomed no matter which meeting. I haven't done the steps or hung around long enough yet to get to know anyone, i'm just getting a feel for it. The steps make a lot of sense as i read the banner. But i always find the meetings powerful, inspiring, real, raw, and humbling. Those rooms are magical places, and i shall be going back for more.

Have a great weekend everyone. G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

G: It's so great to see you here. Yes, the meetings really are a unique experience. I got a sponsor after about a year in program. People certainly do it sooner, as there isn't any kind of rule. My sponsor guided me through the steps. It was a revealing experience...one that I'm sure I'll repeat in the future. I'm finding that the more I know about myself, the more I can change for the better. Please come back & share. Mary
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

Thank you, thank you & thank you! I know where I'm headed. I remember the magic now & I miss it!. Plus a whole lot more. I'm beginning to feel dry. Funny there's a another "God Shot" on another thread helping me find my way.

Take Care

Comment

WF: I too knew when it was over. It was after many years of denial:
                              -"I can control my drinking."
                              -"I'm not so bad."
                              -etc.

I was bad & couldn't control my drinking. Now, I don't have to think about it. I just don't drink...period. Enough is enough. Or, as they say in program: "I was sick & tired of being sick & tired."

Please feel free to come here & read & share.

Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X