Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily~Thursday, August 23

Good morning!

I was up at 5:00, but had trouble connecting to the Internet for some reason. Anyway, I couldn't stay awake past 10:00 last night, so when I woke at 5:00, decided to just get up. Still tired and get the dull headache, and I am pretty sure it is PAWS. Lilly, not sure how long/much you have to drink for this to set in. I'm sure DG wold know, and I can get out the info I have on it from rehab. But I don't remember being this tired the last times I stopped. At least it doesn't come over me during the day at work.
    Filling in for Mick again today! Mick, you owe me a huge coffee tomorrow a.m.:H Any chance of a latte??
    Det, I don't know how I missed that you'd slipped. Need to re-read the post again. I am so glad you came back, though. The slips/relapses can come any time, and that is a thought that scares me. Read in one of the other threads about someboy who relapsed after 6 years and is in bad shape now. Guess she had a really hard time dealing with the AA group and the concept of starting all over on day 1 even after all those years. It is a very hard thing--I've been there. Do you have anything like Librium from the doc for the detox? I had enought for two days only--seeral times--and it did help me aoid the shakes and all. It made me sleepy on the first day, but it helped. and fo sleep, you might try Dramamine. Suggested on another thread, and it does seem to help you with the shakes the next day. I understand how easy it is to drink when you are on the road. I always took a bottle with me when staying in hotels. But I got my full day in--even exercise--before I hit the bottle. That changed about a year and a half ago when I started having a drink while driving. We all know where that lead! Anyway, with your healthy eating habits and being back on the ADs, you should be okay. Just stick close, okay!???? We missed that whiff of garlic that comes with your posts
    DG--how was that first day of school? I hope the other students appreciated your new outfit!! I am going to see if I can get that Addiction Pro digitally.
    PQ--how are you? And you, CanDo? Hope you are both up and running strong. How about you, YahYah? Pap3--thinking about you and the jobe and fingers crossed and prayers in for you!
    Sunflower--prayers for you, too, and your situation. Hope we at least hear a short post from you today.
    I have read and re-read Nicey's post--think in General section--about her relapse. I had read it back in April when she firts posted, but it is something I am going to read every day. It details all the horror of relapsing after thinking we can have that "one" drink. Thank God she found her way back.
    Have to work later this morning, but will fit in a walk alone, as my neighbor can't make it today. Then I have a phone conference in the evening with a guy I will be doing some work for from home--in the educational sales field. The store hours are drastically cut starting next week, and the two girls I have left will be very disappointed that they won'r have a full work week. But one took this past week off, when she should have waited, and the owner wants me to have the bulk of the hours, so it's out of my hands. But I'll be able to do some of this part time phone work and have a bit more time for relaxing, etc.
    Lav, do you have th day to yourself or is it more babysitting? Hope it's Lily and not the boys. LOL. How is Matilda?
    Kas, wow--not sure how you stay with a man like that! Makes Mr TDN look like the perfect husband:H I do understand about paying most of the bills, as I did it for years. Mr TDN retired at 50! But I loved working and I didn't mind paying the bills, as I tend to spend any money I have on other things. But Mr TDN saved a lot of money wheil he worked and he is now withdrawing much more. I still pay a lot of the bills, though. Won't be able to do that unless I find another jib once this ends in October. But I can start withdrawing money form an IRA, so don't feel too bad!
    Okay--please ignore any typos, as I don't check carefully for them.
    Everybody--enjoy a wonderful AF day!
    TDN
    "One day at a time."

Morning abbers!

ThreeDog - I was just about to start the thread, you beat me to it. I listened to something on the radio the other day about Jack Kerouac which mentioned his story Three Dog Night. I didn't know what the expression meant before. Doh.

Lovely sunny day in London. I'm trying to get tickets for the Paralympics but it looks as though they might be the first ever sold-out Paralympics. Hey ho.

GF is doing well recovering after her surgery. She's on bed rest at home for two weeks. She went a bit :nutso::nutso:the day after we got home from the hospital and was very tearful but apparently that's very common after anaesthetic and morphine and she's feeling much better mentally now. I'm doing everything at home (shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry etc etc) and looking after her and it's exhausting! Glad to get to work every day. :H

Kas - your first post was sad and I thought maybe you could try a "date night" once a week where you do something together and talk. But then your second post was more upbeat and it sounds as though you are making plans. I agree with what Lilly E says (also agree Lilly about the puzzle of why so many people seem to be in relationships that aren't good for them - although I've done it myself! :H:H)

Det - I've been away and don't know what happened but glad you're back on the wagon.

DG - I remember the first time you did tomato canning sober and were complaining about it! I've been here too long! Hope school is going well.

Lav and everyone (any sign of Greenie?) have a good day!
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Good morning Abbers far & wide

I'm up too early these days myself TDN. Matilda seems to think it's a good idea to gt up with the chickens :H
      I am not scheduled to watch any kids today & I really need to turn my attention to the type of work I do & get paid for

Marshy, now you know how exhausting nursing and or 'mothering' can be!! So glad to hear GF is recovering well!

Det, hope you are feeling better yourself today!
      I am so grateful that I finally learned that depression was really at the root of my AL abuse, smoking too. If I take care of the anxiety/depression then I have no need or desire to drink. Since I figured all that out I have been able to sit back & look at the behavior of my two older brothers with new eyes. They have the same thing going on but so far have refused to make any real changes & continue to suffer
      If we need help in the anxiety/depression department then we should get the help - no two ways about it!! Please keep checking in everyday so we know how yuo are, OK?

I think it's time for queenie greenie to check as well!!
      Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Thursday!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning TDN, Marshy, Lavande and all to come...
        Yup I'm up and running strong. Heading over to my brother's after work today to get my "Dog Sitting Instructions" for the weekend. It's probably going to be the longest "list" I've ever seen. Man, when I die I want to come back as one of their dogs.
        I left work yesterday and as I drove out of the parking lot I thought I could probably have a drink. Where the $&@$) did that come from? Just out of the blue. Up till then AL hadn't crossed my mind. (AF day 8) I think it's because in my "married" days of drinking, everytime I knew I was alone it was an opportunity to drink. That's one habit mind set I have to work on. Feeling very positive today and full of energy. Have a great AF Thursday. PQ

Comment

Classes were awesome yesterday but MAN was I tired when I got home. My brain isn?t used to doing hard work 6 hours in a day! :H Let the homework begin.

Kas ? good for you recognizing that we cannot change anyone but ourselves. Changing your situation since you can?t change Mr. Kas sounds like the sane approach.

Shue ? good for you doing whatever it takes to reach your goal of AF holiday!

Lav ? thx for the lunchbox!!! :H

PQ ? I guess I should be happy that my DH just collects dogs! And now I read about your brother?s dogs LOL! Good for you recognizing that drinking urge as just a habit related thought, and letting it go. That?s what we have to just keep doing ? taking it one thought at a time. Eventually they greatly subside.

Det ? I?m sorry about the drinking but SO GLAD you are here with us. One day at a time my friend. You are way too good a person to just hand your life over to AL. Any chance you can get off the road? I remember too vividly what the road warrior life is like and I am quite happy I?m not living it any more. It seems that for sales people, there is just booze everywhere when travel is happening.

LillyE ? you are so right that any stress relief to be gained from AL is fleeting, and then WORSE stress is to come. Ugh. I?m so glad I ?m not living on that merry go round any more.

TDN ? thanks for kicking us off today. As far as PAWS goes, I think people have pretty individualized experiences with some common themes. The physical consequences of drinking seem to generally get worse as we get older. As far as sleep issues go (which lead to ?tired? issues) I think we women also have other factors at play. I go through times when my sleep is just difficult and fleeting. But after this long, I?m sure it?s not booze related. But since AL is WAY out of my picture, it?s good to KNOW it?s not booze related. If I were drinking, that would just complicate the process of figuring out any health issues. Is it the booze? Or something else? Who knows if booze is present.

Marshy!!!! Sending healing vibes to XNGF. I had some oral surgery in July which involved LOTS of novocane (sp) and then a few opiate based pain killers. I was an emotional wreck for about a week!!!! Took me a while to figure it out but I really do think the drugs had something to do with it. I hope you land some tickets!

Lav ? have a good day of regular work today!

Oh Det - I am struggling to get back on the low carb bandwagon but am now on Day 8 or 9 or something like that. It definitely gets easier but BOY is it hard getting back on the sugar free wagon at first! I have a BG meter and had some high fasting BG readings. YIKES! Pretty stupid especially since my Dad just died of horrible complications of diabetes.

Where is P3???? Hey girl - let's get on the SF bandwagon together! How 'bout it! Anyone else?? (maybe a SF challenge thread is in order...)

Hello to all fABbies yet to come today.

I am really out of the homework groove, and am having to force myself to remember I need to do some today! Better get a move on.
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

hello all you fabby abbys!
            i've been working a Shue-like schedule the past few days, and though i read each night that's all i can manage before falling into bed.

great to read that everyone is staying strong! Porquoi, i'm so happy to hear you sounding so strong and in such good spirits!
            Threedog, thanks for starting everything off each morning. i take a coffee to go and run without even saying hello.! how rude is that? i'm still envious of your boating. you're a lucky dog!
            Doggygirl, great to hear about your first day of school. i hear what you're saying about the homework.! you're lucky you're studying something you WANT to study! i think you'll be so good in this profession!
            Shue, you're awesome. are you about half way through the 2 weeks? an af cruise sounds great-- maybe we can all meet up and go together--ditch the guys?!

i'm also in a situation where i'm questioning my relationship. we have only been together 6 years and are sharing kids in a patchwork family so of course it's different. but i often think that if this doesn't work out, i'd be mighty happy on my own! i'll always remember that when my grandfather died my grandma was around 65-- the first thing she did was finish her college degree, then she sold the house, bought a motor home and travelled around the states caravanning for 4 years. then she headed off to central america for 2 years until she had to come home and take care of her brother.!

Comment

Lilly, you're kicking butt with your 53 days. i'm glad to hear it's getting easier. and way to go with losing the weight you've wanted to lose. you are doing so well. the other night when i met my friends for dinner, one of them gave the Book Thief as a gift-- funny since you'd just mentioned the book. i decided not to do the cooking course as i have soooo much to catch up on at work. if i want to and have the energy, i have about 100 hours to catch up on!!!
              i'm so crap with free lance stuff-- i always end up working like a dog and not earning anything in the end!

Sunflower, thinking of you and hope you are ok.
              Det, i don't know you yet, but i'm glad to meet you. what's with the garlic? i missed that an i love garlic. wish my hands didn't always smell of it, though!

big hugs to everyone!
              Life

Comment

Hi Fabinistas. Everyone sounds good. Thanks for the ear on the marraige thing. 28 years here. So I am willing to put some work in. And to be fair, MrK is a good person. Hes fun and interesting and smart, but he is bored here too. So he just sinks into the tv and is gone. If we won the lottery we would be traveling nonstop. Or so we think. Kind of like Lifechanges grandma.

So last nite we took the bikes out on a ride around the rivers edge, we are lucky enough to have a paved path that runs along the Columbia most of the way from our house. That helped a lot. I still like my husband a lot, its just that I am tired of being the financial driver of the whole enterprise.

I think I just need to spend less time inside. Like Marshy, I have been here too long. I am done with alcohol. Its been 18 months, and I could relapse maybe but I hope not.

Anyway, everyone is doing so well. I wonder what happened to Sugar in Ireland, and Sunny doesnt check in that I know. I hope they all got off the sauce and are living life large. As for me, its back to arsenic trioxide toxicty and human, fish and plant health this morning (whoo hoo!) and maybe...some garden time. A bbq to go to this aft as well, so thats something.

Take care out there in MWO land.

kaslo
                Kaslo

Stopped the madness: February 14, 2011

Comment

I'd like it if Life's grandma could swing by & pick me up - a traveling adventure sounds awesome!

Kas, any one of us could relapse......
                  That is one of the reasons I keep checking back in here every day, don't want to get too comfy & forget. IF I ever do relapse it is NOT going to be due to feeling rejected by YB or anyone else for that matter. I basically have no faith in 'Happily Everafter' anymore - it's BS :H
                  I am happy enough on my own, grateful for my son, daughter & their families & mostly for my sobriety/sanity

Greetings to porqoui & DG!
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Greetings FABaronis!

Kas - I think it is quite normal to feel a bit frustrated with the same ol' same ol' - sometimes a change of scene is called for. Even the small step of getting out on bikes together is really a big deal in a way....That's KAStastic action, my friend!

I've been wondering about a bunch of the old gang, too. Sunni? Sugarbeat? AFM? Mumof2? Where be you? Phone home! And then we have our less-frequent posters who are also just a titch AWOL - LVT, The Green One and Mom3. And PapMom - do I need to dispatch search pugs to find you?

It's darn nice to catch the scent of Garlic again, now that the DETer is back. ((Hugs)) Mr. Paleo. The dark place will be a memory soon.

A small bunch of us who like to use the Chat Room have managed to get back together this week. It would be great if ya'll can join us, too. I know it's hard with all the different time zones we inhabit, but it sure is a lot of fun to 'talk' in real time. It seems we're usually on when the sun is down in North America.

TDN - I had a rough time with PAWS but those symptoms were nothing compared to what was going on while I was drinking. I really had quite a bit of candida overgrowth because of all the years of overloading my system with alcohol sugar. Bleh. Healing takes time. I'm going to the doc today to deal with some of the residual crap.

DoggyG - I'm another who is up for a SF challenge. I've been off the CLEAN eating plan since June and OYE! I just don't feel very good. My weight loss has come to a screeching halt, too. My Thyroid levels are whack (my gland is gone so I've been on armour and after a few years of stability I'm all over the place - it's wild) The clean eating plan isn't the only solution, but it sure is an important part of overall physical and mental health.

Speaking of missing folks...Marshy - welcome back after your self-imposed exile in the isles! That's amazing about the Paraolympics - I do hope you're able to get some tickets afterall...and wishing a speedy recovery to your GF!

Porquoi - so glad you're getting back to feeling good again. It's great you're aware of your triggers - it's normal for cravings to pop up when faced with old drinking situations. And look at you - smacking 'em down with vigor - like a game of WHACK-a-Mole!

Life - I sure like your spunk! I hope your work situation settles down a bit, tho. It's never good to work, work, work without play. I'd be in on an AF Chicks cruise! I need a year notice to plan and save!

I've racked up more than $8,000 in savings since I got the drinking and smoking shiz out of my life. That would buy a lot of chicken feed, wouldn't it Lav? It would buy a McCluck Mansion. With air conditioning and a little cement pond. Okay. My future chickens won't quite be styling like that but I guarantee I am putting that unwasted money to great use now.

One of the first gifts I gave to myself when I quit last summer was a big dinnerplate Dahlia. It's just starting to bloom again. It's such a nice reminder of how incredible it is to live again.

Hugs to all...
                    Sober for the Revolution!
                    AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

[QUOTE=Turnagain;1368098]Greetings FABaronis!

Porquoi - so glad you're getting back to feeling good again. It's great you're aware of your triggers - it's normal for cravings to pop up when faced with old drinking situations. And look at you - smacking 'em down with vigor - like a game of WHACK-a-Mole!

QUOTE]

:H:H:H: I love it. Just call me Ms. WHACKAMOLE:H:H:H: Thanks Turn

Comment

thanks everyone, your most gracious and wonderful as always. Lifechange, nice to meet you too. garlic is one of my obsessions (you can normally smell me coming)

well feeling better today than I imagined I would, yes my healthy lifestyle (apart from binging) has come to help me out thankfully.

Doggygirl, with a genetic proclivity toward diabetes you really need to hop on the low/moderate carb bandwagon for sure! lets do it together. eating clean on the road is a total biatch, but it's possible, so I'm doing my best.

hopefully I'll be up to speed enough to do my hiking/shooting ritual this Saturday in the mountains. it would do me so much good.

be well peeps, xxxxxx
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hello fABBer's far and wide,

Good to see you back Det. Best wishes on your journey bro.

All good here, and a special day on saturday..........

Ooroo, and take care all.

G-bloke. :h

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi all,

Warning: one of my crazy long posts ahead. Turn, I'd love to chat sometime if I can make it tho it may well be the middle of my night. I feel I'm always catching up on 24 hours at once and it's kind of a pain.

TDN: I didn't know the origin of Three Dog Night either - what does it mean exactly? Also, was it you who mentioned the show Addiction? Am (slowly) downloading Ep 1 right now.

Porquoi, I am glad to hear you doing so well - you sound great! It's always amazing here to see people come back after drinking, sounding wretched, then a bit later, when they've had a bit of AF time, they sound a bazillion times chirpier.

I need to remind myself of this right now as I feel I'm in a dangerous place. I started googling things like 'Am I am alcoholic' and taking those damn tests, again, the other night, and really, I'm not stupid enough to not realize what that's all about. *Sighs* My mind is starting to pull that old trick of thinking maybe it wasn't *so* bad now I feel a little better and I'm trying to actively remind myself it was.

A friend called last night - who has no idea I've quit - and invited me out to a very cool bar just up the road from me which she was on her way to. I didn't go and I felt sorry for myself. On reflection, maybe I should have gone, drank lime & soda, and had fun being out and seeing her but I guess I didn't want any temptation. Not sure which is worse sometimes in those scenarios though, as the self pity isn't good for long term sobriety either.

Right now I'm tricking myself toward 60 days with the lure of a great haircut to celebrate. I might book it in today as it is next Thursday.

Det, so sorry to hear about the one year slip and the AD woes. Those stories disturb me greatly but there are so many of them on here. Are you under medical supervision at the moment? Mmm? garlic. Ever been to The Stinking Rose in San Fran? Garlic ice cream!

LIFE
                            , I'm glad you popped in and said hello as I was starting to worry. I was about to PM you yesterday then thought I'd give you another day or two before being alarmist Glad things sound good, if busy. Why so busy all of a sudden? But probably good on the cooking course front then; you don't want to stress yourself out unduly right now. The Book Thief is such an incredible book - I highly recommend it. I must read his others too.

Marshy
                            , I hope the GF gets better soon and that she also appreciates what a great girlfriend she has herself. I'm sure it's exhausting but hopefully you''ll get extra GF credits for looking after her so well.

Lav
                            , is it really bad that I have no faith in 'happily ever after' anymore either and I am, I think, a few decades younger than you. (Oh sorry, I forgot, we're all 29 here!) I don't want to be one of those people who never get over one bad relationship but my ex husband did do a huge number on my head (long, painful story) and in the intervening years I've had plenty of male attention but little luck in the love stakes. And, as I said, I see so few relationships around me I think are really enviable.

I've also realised lately that I have a surprising number of girlfriends who are the financial drivers - and drivers of everything else - in their relationships. These are all very smart, together women with great, interesting jobs and they're all paired up with often lovely (though not always) but somewhat hopeless men who don't have their shit together and are either not working, or only kinda working, and are directionless or in some fundamental way or another don't really have it together. Most of these women have young babies/toddlers, so I see my girlfriends doing all the breadwinning plus the bulk of the childcare/housework and wonder if, in a few years time, when the kids are a bit older, they will go, 'screw this', 'I might as well do this on my own'. DON'T get me wrong here, I by no means am saying men should be the breadwinners, it's just an odd role reversal I'm witnessing.

But as often I digress?

Ok, gotta get to work. I don't know if it's PAWS, adjusting, just life, whatever, but I'm kind of down and anxious right now - though admittedly nowhere near as bad as I would be were I drinking heavily. I'm doing all the right stuff to help with that - lots of exercise, eating well, sleeping lots etc - so I guess I just need to give it time.

Comment

Also *waves hello* Guitarista - I've been meaning to come visit your thread. How're things? I don't suppose there've been any more sightings of the spinach lady? (Watch out ladies, G's got some smooth moves going on with the leafy vegetables...)

Comment

Working...
                              X