af day Saturday 25 Aug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Morning everyone..bit of a lie in today...weather outside is atrocious but hey who needs it with this great company!!!
    Firstly..big congratulations to saysage on hitting the 180 mark yesterday...:goodjob: any plans?

Right..weekend routine .... tea and coffee on the go... followed closely by bacon eggs toms.

Morning lifechange..how are you today?Liked your idea ref the garden..be positive.There isnt such a thing as weeds..they are just plants in the wrong place!!Reading your post , mbh, for a minute was a wee bit not jealous but thinking, wish I was there looking at Berlin..definitely going back to see it one day, just to see the changes and the way life has changed since I remember it..especially where you are in the old Ost Berlin..trying to be clever there but they don't do umlau in this edition of writing!

Good morning to you TDN..one big latte coming up for you.How are you this weekend?any plans?Fingers crossed for you with regards to bud..hope its good news week for you.Yes fully retired now ..did that last March...really strange to get used to at the beginning.Your brain takes on this well you've retired so that's it end of the show mentality..got me down at times, especially mixed in with the residue from the stroke I had.Once through that which lasted about 6 months, you wonder how you ever had time to go to work anyway!!I agree with you it isnt easy to start these threads off all the time especially if you have my level of computer skills, but for those that havent, it is quite a good confidence booster too..as anyone who has done it will tell you, so anyone who wants to..jump on in..first chance tomorrow..its Sunday early start for me so I wont be able to start the thread

Morning Lav..and how are you this hour of the morning?been up how long?Have a coffee.Reading your post, when you said you only ate very little chicken... could see your avatar positively sighing with relief!:H

Morning det..you ok?boy those pics are something..got plenty of the wet stuff here to put them out!!

Good morning Raven..how are you?we havent met before..but pleased to.Where are you from ?

And how is the next world golf champion from Bulgaria today?Coffee Shue?Stiil at 1/2 speed? can afford to drop a cog or two yet!!Good for you Shue..glad you kicked the al thoughts in to touch..though must say I think it was a pretty crappy stunt to pull, s o good for you :wd:
    No wonder you have got a top notch collection of shoes.............judging by your avatar, you only buy one.. so your getting them half price :H

Mr G..how are you down under friend..congrats on your 30 days well done mate keep going.. you know you can

PQ...coffee for you ma'am? So the dog sitting was ok?Its great to see the positive you back again..well done.

YAH..morning to you..hows thing in here there and everywhere land??You are wrong when you say nothing is happening..theres lots..just because you aint jumping out of planes or climbing mountains or any other biggies...biggest word you said was sober..every minute/hour is a challenge that you have taken on and beaten.As for remembering what to write..it comes after a while..also helps to have nothing in your head!:H

Sunflower..nice to see you posting..glad to see things are on the mend..blissful mood too eh?take your time, get sorted and oh...hurry back

Cantoo..good morning to you..racking up those days on the drinktracker!!As for issues about being honest and dishonest..hmm,Heres how it goes for me..this is me now,same as you,I knew I had a problem.. if there was a pint I wanted a bucket etc etc..decided to stop drinking never told anyone that I had a problem and couldnt stop, so I went down the health road..reducing cholestoral, losing weight etc.
    Consider this..do you think that if I had said to everyone that I had a problem with drink and had to give it up..people would actually give a toss about it?Most people are too wrapped up in their own issues to even bother about it.. Again it is our perception of what would have happened..Hi I have hit 30 days af..in most cases the reply would have been"really? well done..got to dash kids ready for school etc etc"
    So really there is no honest or dishonest about it..basics are I have stopped drinking..end of.The reasons or rationale behind it are immaterial and to be frank nobody elses business.Thats why it is so good here..we all know what it is about.Imagine an airline pilot telling you all about flying a plane, or a stamp collector telling you about a rare stamp..be like watching paint dry,unless you are another stamp collector or pilot.So unless you have been there you aint got a clue.Does all that make sense? I actually get more of a buzz saying no I dont drink.Phew brew time!!

Morning Kas..shorts an T shirts..what are they??? how are you today?take it Kasloland is going to get a shock when the kids turn up? have a great time

Signing off time now..wont be here in the morning so can someone else start the thread?Got my phone back now fixed instead of the brick so I will be able to check in tomorrow.To all here and others not named have a great weekend..to all those in the background thinking about sacking the al...go for it..be in charge again we are here for you all

Mick
    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

af day Saturday 25 Aug

good morning, dear Mick! thanks for the coffee--i'm on my 3rd cup today. being a bit greedy, i am. i have some delicious little plum cakes in the oven-- will be done in about 20 minutes. mmmmm. i've been on a marathon cleaning and grcery shopping spree this morning. those are the things i couldn't bare to do with a hangover. so i didn't!!!
    i have my new sponsor coming over this morning. i have to say i like this whole aa thing. i've now found a couple of groups i like (there are only 2 a day in english here and i have to travel 45 minutes to get there!) but the people are super down to earth, diverse and not pushy. i went to 2 meetings yesterday 'cause i was feeling a bit dodgy and i came out with so much. the topics of the meetings were spirituality (which i struggle with) and accepting exactly where you are at this moment (which i also struggle with). it was good.
    will miss you tomorrow a.m. Mick--hope you have a really good day!
    Congrats Sausage on 6 months! i'm heading over to check out your story again after this. very well done.
    MR. G, very happy to hear about your 30 days! i'm just sorry you couldn't give me any great hair advice!

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Sunflower, it was nice to see you pop in yesterday. i look forward to seeing you more often!
      Threedog, let us know how the docs appt went! what kind of dogs do you have? i think you asked.. i am from the states--grew up in arizona and alaska and my family is now based in phoenix. i've been in berlin for almost 14 years. the longest by far that i've ever lived in one place.
      Shue, i understand what you're saying about the levels of control re hubs. i hope he will start to get it a bit more and be perhaps a bit more sensitive as you continue to prove by doing. i'm just concerned that at some point, if you're feeling particularly angry or sad, whatever, that it could be very difficult to say no-- do keep us posted about how it's going with the MIL!
      funny what Mick said about the shoes, eh?
      also funny about the chickens, Lav!! i'd love to see more pictures of your feathered friends.

a big hello to Kaslo, Porquoi, Yah, Det,(where were those pics taken, by the way? very scary. is the fire under control now?) Turn!!! and Doggygirl! and Cantoo!!
      wishing you all a wonderful sat.!
      Life

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Hi fABbies! Happy Saturday! I hope nobody is offended that I am not totally caught up with the happenings here. Busy couple of days! I tried to speed read the threads but I'm sure I missed a lot of important stuff. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't post if I don't have time to read everything and/or post something to everyone. I know that's wrong! I know we are all welcome to post here even if we don't have time for personals and catch up, etc. First and foremost, this is a lifeline for me in my sober life that I can reach out and touch whether I have a little time or more time. So...THANKS FOR BEING HERE!!!!!

Mick - thanks for getting us started!

:yougo:CONGRATS SAUSAGE ON 6 MONTHS (+1 day) AF!!!:yougo:

:yougo:CONGRATS G-MAN :h ON 31 DAYS AF!!!!:yougo:

CanToo - I reached a point where I just say "I don't drink any more" to people. That was very uncomfortable at first, and there were some people it took me a while to work up the courage. But it was very freeing. For the question "why?" I have several answers at the ready. All are honest answers, just some are more revealing than others. Some are humorous. "Drinking doesn't feel good to me any more" is a simple one. At my age (29) "not good for my blood sugar" is another easy one. "drinking was becoming a negative in my life" is another. You will find what works best for you in your own time. I think the thing to assess in terms of honesty is your internal honesty. Make sure you are not leaving the door open for yourself to start drinking again. In my own journey to sober living, the lies I tell myself are far more significant than the lies I have ever told anyone else. (although I certainly told lies about my drinking!)

Lifechange & G-Man - In the US, certification for addiction counselors is handled at the State level. So finding out what is required would start with a search for state requirements. Over the years I think many states have "gotten on the same page" with similar requirements, and many states now have reciprocal agreements where a certification in one state is fairly easy to transfer to another state.

In Illinois, I lot of the state requirements for work experience are waived if a person completes a 2 year program at an approved school. The approved program I am part of is offered at a Junior College and will result in an Associates Degree in Addiction Studies. Once I complete this degree, I will have met the requirements to sit for the certification exam.

Once the basic certification is obtained, there are additional certifications that can be added. As an example, there is a certification that has to do with dual disordered clients (diagnosed mental illness + substance use disorder). There is a certification for DUI counseling. etc. etc. There are additional higher levels of certification for supervision, etc.

The opportunities for different types of work and also $$ will expand if I go on and get a Masters degree in Social work (or Psychology). I already have a BS in an unrelated field. (:H LOTS of BS!) So I'm thinking about applying this fall to start that part time at a local University. It's not a "big shot" University but the prices are way lower than the other state schools. Becoming a licensed clinical social worker + Certified alcohol and other drug counselor is ultimately where I'd like to be. If I start the Masters program I would still like to be working in the field at least part time. (and I also have a job at home with our family business.)

College rocks. Classes rock. THERE IS NO AGE LIMIT FOR COLLEGE!!!! I was intimidated at first about being an older student. That was silly. Us old geezers (29) KICK ASS when it comes to throwing the grading curve UP!!! So if you have dreams of doing something else with your life, and those dreams involve college, don't EVER think it's too late!!! Junior college is an awesome place to get the old (29) feet wet again for school.

OK - time to go make breakfast and get ready for class. I'm also going to start that sugar free thread. I need it!! (had a fall off the SF wagon on Thursday!)

ONE THING IS FOR SURE!!!!!

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Good morning, All!!

Mick, thanks so much for the coffee, eggs, bacon, tomatoes! I have been eating way too much the past two weeks! Need to cut back or none of my clothes will fit:upset:
          I love your post today about not needing to tell others about quitting. So true that they are caught up in their own stuff and not in ours! I always worry about what others think, when, in fact, they are too busy dealing with their own lives.
          Life, great to see you are getting the support you need through AA. A good sponsor can be just what you need to stay AF. Muct be hard getting to the English speaking meetings. What is your nationality, may I ask?
          PQ--great to see you going strong, too! It's amazing the changes we can find when we stop the AL.
          Det, so happy to have you here. That pic was incredible. If only all the rain Mick has could come there! We have been so lucky this summer weather wise.
          YahYah, Mick is right. It seems that nothing is going on right now, but that is probably because all of the drama that fills our lives when drinking has left. I know that it can leave you feeling kind of flat or empty, but just staying AF is a big deal.
          Sunflower, wow--what a change! Is hubby back? Kids? Prayers for all of you.
          Lav, Kas, Lilly, and everyone else--good to read your posts, as always!
          Had a long day yesterday, at work from 8:30 until 6:00, then dinner at my friend/so-worker's. I was nervous about it for a few reasons, but it went really well. I can tell when she is drinking, or taking something, and she was not last night. Made a big difference. Hubby is a recovered alcoholic, but I think he relies too much on Ativan. Mr TDN had two beers, only because my friend opened the second for him, but for him, that was a lot. I contentedly sipped my cranberry soda.
          Same day today, and will be happy when the sale is over. Looking forward to coming home to relax, read, etc. Getting home at 10:15 is too much for me. And I am still having the a.m. headaches.
          Thanks for asking about Bud, Mick. they took a chest x-ray, as this cancer normally spreads to the lungs first, but it looked good. An "expert" will look at it and I hope he agrees it is good. It will be a year next month that the cancer was discovered. I just keep praying for good things for whatever time he has left. Our friend met Mr TDN when she arrived with her dog, then emailed me that they have to wait for news from the docs.
          Okay--hope everyone has a great AF day!!
          Life--why don't you start us off tomorrow?? Would be good for you to fill in for Mick.
          :lTDN
          "One day at a time."

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

TDN - I'm so glad to read that your doggy is doing well all things considered! I lost my first dog to cancer shortly after Mr. D and I married. It's a hard thing to go through for sure.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

hello there, fabber dabbers,

Mick, thank you once again for getting us started in style ... eggs, bakey and toms ... yum!
              I must tell you that I particularly enjoyed making coffee for our little group each morning. It kept me centered and focused on AFdom, also a whole lt closer to the people here, thinking about waht I am going to write in the morning. You're brilliant at it!

Guitarista, thanks for asking. I know I will be posting here if the need strikes.

Lifechage, I envy you for your AA group, in English no less. Maybe I should dig deeper here.

I keep 2 things open, as back up plan, in case I relapse terribly ... #1 is coming clean to hubby about the gory details (I saved some particularly desperate posts). #2 is SMART recovery, harder to do online only but I have checked it out.

This morning I did ... nothing ... it is a super rare moment that I had half a day to myself ( son is at golf tuition all day, hubby went to pick up his parents from the airport). I could have done a thousand things but I decided to do the only one that I have very little chance to do in my otherwise hectic life ... do nothing. I worked on my tan and got engrossed into the final book of Game of Thrones ... perfect holiday escapism.

have a wonderful weekend, fabbies.

I keep thinking about what Kas said, us abbers feel like we're in the emperor's new clothes most of the time ... I have also found that very few people care that I don't drink. I used to worry so much about what would my friends say ... most said nothing really ... they also said nothing when I stopped eating bread for 2 years.
              workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Hi y'all!

Thanks for the congratulations everyone. DG, i'm a believer! you are priceless. The Social work/ Drug and AL area is such a great field to work in i reckon. There are lot's of career opportunities here, and i'd imagine where you are too. Rewarding work, working with people.

Hope everyone's safe, sound, and happy. Have a great weekend all. G.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

x-post, Doggy and TND,

my gosh, Doggygirl, you are flying. I soooo admire what you are doing. Personally, I think that you can really help someone overcome addiction if you have experienced it firsthand. I have 3 buddies here at MWO who said that after seeing their counsellor they went straight to the liquor store.They were told "you are not trying hard enough", "are you sure you are really commited? " omg, none of us would ask another fellow that.
                  workaholic, shoeaholic and yes ... alcoholic

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Good morning Abbers!

Yep Mick - up way too early, not so bright :H
                    Dogs are napping already & I'm about to grab my 3rd cup of coffee.
                    My chickens are safe ~ especially Stella. Who the hell would want to eat that freaky lookin bird? :H

Greetings Life! I'll post some more 'normal' looking chick pics for you
                    Glad you are able to find some meetings in English. I spent three years in German class in high school & actually remembered some of it when I visited Germany back in '98 but no where near enough to participate in or benefit from a meeting.

DG, my daughter-in-law is starting her classes next week. This is her last year but she plans to go to work on her Maters degree in Social work right away. She's getting a lot of experience with her internships & now has a paid part time job with one of them. And my babysitting duties continue

TDN, you sound good & I'm happy about that!
                    Keeping my fingers crossed for Bud

shue, a little 'ME' time is nice once in a while! Hope you can do that more often, helps heal & strengthen the soul.

Good morning G!!!!

Have a great day one & all!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Morning All and thanks for noticing the positive attitude. I think I'll take that one out of the closet every morning when I get dressed.
                      Attempting the "Dog Park" this morning. Sure hope GOD is walking with us.:H Have a fabulous AF Saturday. PQ

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Morning, all!

Mike, I'll miss you tomorrow morning! You always have something nice to say to everyone! You take such good care of us with the coffee and breakfast! I hope you have a great time away.

You are so right that being AF is something BIG going on, really. It does take a while for me to feel "normal" again after I stop, and I don't always have much to say for myself during that time.

Do we get any plumcakes, lifechange? The mere mention of them is whetting my appetite. I'm glad that you are liking your AA meetings and getting a lot out of them.

DoggyGirl, I am a clinical social worker, licensed in Maryland. If you ever want to talk 1:1 about getting your MSW, send me a PM. I think you will make an awesome addictions counselor! I'm so glad that you are enjoying school. I believe our love of learning is heightened when we have been out in the "real world" for a while, and older (29) students really enjoy their work so much more than kids straight from high school. So enjoy! You are rocking it!

CanToo, DG has good advice about what to say to people who ask questions. People who don't have a problem do have a hard time understanding why we can't just have one drink and be done with it.

TDN, I hope your doggie is doing well. I hope you get through today and can rest when then sale is over. Good job last night!

Shue, I hope you don't get to the point where you have to share the gory details with your husband. I have heard good things about SmartRecovery. Meanwhile, enjoy doing nothing and relaxing.

Hi Mr. G! Congratulations on your month of sobriety! Keep up the good work!

'Morning, Lavande. I hope you have a great day. Looks like there is A LOT of babysitting in your future. Keep the coffee coming!

I hope you have a good day, Porquoi! Hope you and doggy have a terrific time at the dog park.

My daughter will be coming later and staying the night. She lives around an hour away. Fortunately, she does not seem to share my drinking ways. She will have a drink or two on occasion, but she seems to be able to take it or leave it. I'm looking forward to seeing her very much. :l

Anyway, I'm off to buy some free-range eggs from a local farmer. I live in north-central Maryland, so there is a nice combination of city/rural within a 10-mile radius of where I live. I'm finding local providers for meat, eggs and veggies. I like it!

Have a good day all!

YahYah
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Shu I am beginning the SMART program. It's always resonated with me, but I never could find f2f meetings. I have the book and it's always been one of my favorites. I like AA for the f2f support.....but, after 8 years of going.....it's time for me to just realize it doesn't work for me. I see a lot of people it does work for, I'm just not one of them. And I am tired of people in AA telling me I am doomed to go to gates of hell without it.

Anyways....just wanted to say I support you on Smart. I dont plan to post here often. Lots going on in my life....and they are just things I need to deal with alone.

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

I don't drink. Period.

Good morning Mick. I'm on my second mug of tea thank you. Good post this morning. Point taken.

Life. Helllooo to you too. Way to go on finding English speaking support.

Doggy girl. Very true. I will try and stop caring what others think and just say ' I don't drink'. Period. P.S. Great career choice you've made

TDN. Give your dog a hug from me

Kas. Thank you

Shue. Lol. Thank you also. Stopped eating bread eh?

PQ. Enjoy the cooler weather today

YAH. Agreed. They don't understand

Well I'm trying to hook up with my old training partner for another river valley hike. Don't feel like being alone this weekend. Last weekend in the mountains was so good for the soul. Feels like more.

Tomorrow I told the 17 year old he could drive us to Jasper foe the day. First time he'll be driving my car - first time I feel like I can handle it without being overly critical and calm. Ugh I hope I don't screw it up, he has started hanging around more since I've stopped drinking.

Have wonderful days everyone

Cantoo (so there!)

:danthin:
                            AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

af day Saturday 25 Aug

Sunflower.

:groupluv:
                              AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

Working...
                              X