Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily~Sunday, August 26

Good morning, Abbers!

Getting this started for the day, but need to go back and read yesterday's posts in the entirety. Didn't read before bed, as I could barely keep my eyes open past 10:00. Two very long days on my feet after six days a week for a few months seems to have caught up with me!
    Sunflower, saw another post in the General section (I think.) Sounds like you have made a final decsision to end your marriage. Hope it is the right one for you. And hope to see you back here with us, too.
    YahYah, hope you have a nice visit with your daughter! Just staying AF right now is a big deal. I didn't realize you work in the social services. I'm sure that is a challenging job!
    PQ-it's really good to read your strong posts every day!
    CanDoo--think you were hiking yesterday? That must have been fun--and challenging. I need to get back to exercising soon.
    Raven, I saw the mod post in the Just Starting Out thread. I do think that some people can moderate--I have a friend who has done that successfully, but I never knew him when he was an "alcoholic," as his wife says. And don't know how long or how much he drank , nor how long he was abstinent. But he can know have a couple of beers and stop at that. But I have seen at least one member on that Mod forum who sure seems to have a big problem IMO. And, as somebody else said, why would you come to this forum if you don't think you have a real problem? Anyway, I know that for me, moderation is not possible. I wish I could, but I cannot and that is so often just so hard for us to accept. I did read the EASY WAY TO STOP DRINKING, but not Jason Vale's book, but I do get the point.
    I will go and read the rest of yesterday's posts, then come back. Trying to fit in a walk, nursery duty at church for the first time, and I pray I will not have to change a diaper:H then a quick bite to eat with Mr TDN before work at noon.
    Enjoy the French Roast--I know Mick will have a big latte waiting for me tomorrow a.m.
    TDN
    "One day at a time."

Back after reading the posts I missed yesterday.
    Life, missed that you are from the states originally. Was it work that brought you to Germany? By the way, my three dogs are Brittanys. But I love all dogs--and cats.
    DG, such an informative post, as usual! I am going to look into addiction studies programs here. Would love to start on line classes, for several reasons. Will check it out. You are going to be a fantastic counselor, for sure! I had a counselor I wish I'd never met and yes, I continued to drink when I met with her. The new person I have to see due to the aftercare from the IDP class is much different, and I am looking forward to the two hour session we have tomorrow.
    Shue, I want to look into the SMART program, too. How are you this a.m.? Inlaws are there, and I hope that is going okay.
    GMan, always happy to see you, and can't remember if I siad:goodjob: on the thrity days!
    Kas, was it the boat or garden yesterday??? Both sound good to me!
    Lilly, not familiar with Episodes, but will see if I can get it on Netflix. About AA--I went faithfully after rehab (which was a twelve step based program), but the last few meetings I went to earlier in the summer left me wanting to drink. And I saw three people from the meetings yesterday, and honestly, they seem stuck in that belief that they cannot miss a meeting, so can't get a "real" job, can't seem to move forward, and I don't want that. More about it later.
    Lav, don't know how you find the energy to take care of the grand kids, but being AF is the big reason, of course. Those are some lucky grand kids--and their parents must be do gratful!
    Must get clothes on to walk.
    :lTDN
    "One day at a time."

Comment

Hi ThreeDog! I just wanted to wave hello since we're online at the same time for once Though I'm about to log off as it's 9:30pm Sunday eve here. So I'm enjoying some chamomile tea while you all are brewing up the coffee. We need some more southern hemisphere peeps over here Guitarista!

Anyway, TDN, you sound like you're doing so much better and that is wonderful. Good for you.

I think the Raven who started the mod thread was a different Raven? Or maybe I missed a post? In any case, I just posted on that thread again and I am really hoping I said the right things - it's such a fraught issue really.

Re AA, like I said, I don't want to sound like I'm really knocking it, and I do plan to check it out for myself at some stage - can't hurt, right? But I do have serious reservations. I like hearing everyone's experiences though and I am sure a lot depends on the particular group and people. Like, I think SMART sounds like a great alternative but the one meeting I went to was AWFUL. But I'd hate that to put anyone off. And I am happy Life and Guitarista are getting good things out of AA. Do tell us more guys.

Ok, now I will say goodnight for good. Just wanted to say HI I'll be back tomorrow - no doubt when you all are sleeping. I must find a way to synch better somehow. I'd love to chat with some of you sometime.

Comment

Good morning TDN & all Abbers!

On my second cup of coffee with Matilda & Stella, et al :H
        No sleeping in around here, that's for sure.

I haven't seen Raven's post about modding, will have to take a look.
        As far as I'm concerned I am not even going to give modding a second's thought! I could no more stop at one glass of wine any more than I could enjoy one smoke - NOPE!
        It's all or nothin for me

I will be om diaper duty tomorrow morning TDN so I feel for you today
        Wishing everyone a great AF Sunday.
        Looks like rain here today so I am going to be hanging out in the kitchen making something good!!!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning Lil, Lav and TDN...once again, thanks for starting us off.
          Survived the "Dog Park" yesterday and one of the kids will be by to walk them today while I'm at my meeting. Speaking of which, for me AA is like a Face2Face MWO. I found when I was drinking, I isolated myself. MWO saved my life when I couldn't face walking out the door. Managed to get AF and although I met lots of great understanding people here I was still isolating myself. I had to learn how to live again. And that's what AA gives me, a blueprint for living my life. I feel I have 2 home groups, my online MWO and my F2F AA group. I love them both. Have a great AF Sunday. PQ

Comment

porqoui;1369008 wrote: Morning Lil, Lav and TDN...once again, thanks for starting us off.
            Survived the "Dog Park" yesterday and one of the kids will be by to walk them today while I'm at my meeting. Speaking of which, for me AA is like a Face2Face MWO. I found when I was drinking, I isolated myself. MWO saved my life when I couldn't face walking out the door. Managed to get AF and although I met lots of great understanding people here I was still isolating myself. I had to learn how to live again. And that's what AA gives me, a blueprint for living my life. I feel I have 2 home groups, my online MWO and my F2F AA group. I love them both. Have a great AF Sunday. PQ
            Porquoi! You sound so great! It's so wonderful to hear. Good for you - and I'm glad AA is also proving a great IRL support system for you too. I hear what you're saying about isolating and it makes perfect sense to me that people you can be honest with about this struggle and get support from in person could be a fantastic thing. Hooray for you! I'm so glad you hung in here AND that you're going there too.

Comment

Good morning TDN, Lav,PQ and Lilly,

Ended up doing nothing yesterday (friend has broken her rib). And looks like another slow day today (kid is still in bed).

I do believe I have made it to goal #1.

Goal 2 will be a two part deal. Make it to 60 AF days with some kind of activity (however big or small) everyday. I have entered a regatta on Sept 15th (my first since Aug 2010 and rotator cuff surgery in July 2011) so I best get started on moving today.
              AF Since July 27, 2012:jumpin:

"Don?t be satisfied with the norm if you want more. It?s okay to want to achieve special results. The world needs folks who dream and achieve big things. Never give up."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...e_gdata_player

Comment

I would never want to be the reason someone did not go to AA. My experience is mine alone.....and in no way should someone think that it would be their own. The only way you know is to go....and not just to one....but, several. I would advise getting a good understanding of the program. It works well for others, for some it's a lifesaver. I would reccomend it to others.

For me I am back on track and feeling well. Some decisions in my life have been made.....that quite frankly should have been made years ago.

Now I am getting a good understanding of the SMART program. Something in my gut, just feels like this is the right path for me. I'll be around and keep you posted on my progress.

Today....working out......the pool (one on one time with my youngest).....then a night with my boys watching the Lorax.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Comment

Hey SF I Agree -- Whatever Works! Please post your SMART progress. I am very interested in hearing all about it.

CanToo -- It's great to see the new name. :goodjob: on Goals

Have a good one. PQ

Comment

Just got in...boy am I shattered....going for a long soak in the bath..ease these aching bones...

just wanted to say a big thankyou to TDN,.Sunflower..lovely to see you back again...sounds like you have made some big decisions.....and.........

CANTOO...BRILLIANT WELL DONE :l:l:l

see you in the morning

Mick
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Happy Sunday Aberooooos!

Mick, why shattered? if you mean physically sore I can relate all too well. went for the most grueling mountain hike (with heavy pack) yesterday. we hiked through the heaviest manzanita I've ever been in. feel like I've been at the gym for 6 hours straight and having trouble walking now. at least it's a healthy pain eh?

LillyE I can relate to your post from the other day about the AA 'higher power' issue. it's for that reason I'm not an advocate, however I'm not going to dissuade anyone from using whatever works for them. heck, if wearing purple underpants on my head is the one thing that kept me sober I'd be proudly wearing them as I type this. SMART looks like a good program. I've found that if I really honestly use the MWO platform, and otherwise stick to my paleo lifestyle and regular exercise that I do really well. it's what I must do.

be well everyone
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Yep, I completely agree Det and Sunflower - whatever works. Addiction is so complicated. I just don't believe there's one answer for everyone. And AA or SMART might be just the ticket at one time but not another. I am willing to explore all potential tools despite reservations. After all, you can always just not go back.

((((((Sunflower))))) I haven't seen if there're any updates to your thread as yet but I hope you're doing ok. I'm really glad you're back here.

Comment

p.s. Det, is that a promise re the purple underpants? You could have revolving profile pics with different colored underpants on your head. Like Shue's shoes only... different.

Comment

I did consider that for a moment
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Determinator;1369211 wrote: I did consider that for a moment
                              Pretty please?

Like your 'mood' btw Det. Awwwwwhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X