Gratitude - please add on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning I am grateful that last night I was sober enough, and self-disciplined enough, to clean my face and brush my teeth before going to sleep...makes the morning so much brighter! FF
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Today I am grateful that I had the energy to get the kitchen spic and span and clean the grotty birdbath (I can just imagine the birds thinking "finally! bathing in that thing was gross!)

Comment

Today I am grateful that Tropical Storm Isaac did not turn into a hurricane (at least so far and pray that it does not) and that damage in FL wasn't too terribly bad.

TMH
      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

DG,

Good for you for cleaning the kitchen and the birdbath! I need to do stuff like that early in the am, as doing it after noon leads right into my "reward" syndrome of how I now deserve a so-called treat...

And, yes, Tmh, I, too am grateful that FL has been spared, and am hoping Isaac stays only a tropical storm. We did get some needed rain.

I am also grateful that I had the fortitude to return the big bottle of wine, (unopened) which we had in the fridge chilling in case we needed it for a hurricane party, to the liquor cabinet where it is not so tempting!
        . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

This morning I am grateful that yesterday I did not cave and remind my husband that he usually "treats" us with little bottles of red wine when we have steak here at home...it probably never crossed HIS mind, but my little "devil" danced around with every bite of beef I chewed!

A part of my brain still wants to seize every possible excuse to have a drink...naughty brain! At least, yesterday self control won out. And for that, I am grateful...another step in the right direction.

happy Tuesday, everybody! FF

Comment

Wow, great going FF! Give that little devil the flick off your shoulder.

Today I am grateful that I didn't lose it on the thread about moderating :H

Comment

FarfallaP;1369823 wrote: This morning I am grateful that yesterday I did not cave and remind my husband that he usually "treats" us with little bottles of red wine when we have steak here at home...it probably never crossed HIS mind, but my little "devil" danced around with every bite of beef I chewed!

A part of my brain still wants to seize every possible excuse to have a drink...naughty brain! At least, yesterday self control won out. And for that, I am grateful...another step in the right direction.

happy Tuesday, everybody! FF
              Thats what Im talking about.......might take a little while and some determination, but at some point the AL brain will become weaker, keep fighting
              Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Nelz, thank you very, very much...encouragement from you is much appreciated. Believe it or not, that 30-day star occasionally wafts across my field of vision...when I get there, I will let you know!

DG, I think your comments have been controlled and insightful. It grieves me that people cannot perceive the good intentions which IMO underlie most, if not all, of the postings on this site...but sometimes it is difficult to see the good.

FF

Comment

FarFalla:

I love the Naughty Brain concept!

I should start seeing my brain like one of my kids: can't ever imagine being without it but under no illusions they can still be little devils at times!

On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                  *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Thank you, Nelz, Kradle, and DG - the encouragement and kind words feel very good! I guess it has been a lonelier struggle than I had thought. FF

Comment

Today I am grateful that I had 26 responses to my little student survey that I put out at the Reference Desk last Thursday. It is totally voluntary, but I did add a little basket of candy. I hope to get at least that many more, then I can tally the results as part of my project for my conference in October. It feels good to have motivation, and actually carry through on something important.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                      Sylvia Plath

Comment

LG, I am glad that you got 26 responses, from busy college kids, no less! Isn't it odd how much energy it sometimes takes to START a project like that? good for you.

Today I am grateful that when I learned this morning that our daughter's flight will arrive next Saturday at 6:38 pm, instead of being grumpy at having my "cocktail hour" interrupted I was happy that I'll be sober and able to drive to pick her up! FF

Comment

This morning I happened to come across an old Tupperware cup, with sealing lid, in which I used to carry my gin and ice cubes around so that I was always prepared for my five pm cocktail hour...

I am so VERY grateful that IT has not been used in over two years!...and grateful to MWO for all the suggestions which have helped me to make the necessary changes in my life. Happy Thursday, everyone! FF

Comment

Today I woke up grateful to realize that I no longer have to have a glass of water on my nightstand every night.

Thanks to changes I have made, I no longer routinely awaken in the night overly thirsty due to alcoholic over-indulgence before bedtime.

Happy Labor Day weekend, everybody...drive safely, travelers! FF

Comment

FF, I think it's great that you can see those little reminders of where you've come from, it's hard to wrap you mind around sometimes I'll bet like "was I really that bad?"

I keep trying to come up with something to be grateful for (I'm sleeping terrible the last few nights) so I'm feeling a bit negative lately. hmm, there has to be something, I'll check back when I come up with it :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X