The wheelbarrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wheelbarrow

I've heard this illustration of faith and belief many times. I think it is one of the best.
    :h Nancy

Knowledge + Action = Faith
    TGIF Today God Is First, by Os Hillman

For we also have had the gospel preached to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because those who heard did not combine it with faith. - Hebrews 4:2

The people of Israel were called out of the bondage of Egyptian slavery. God said they would be brought out of 400 years of slavery so that they might worship Him. God desired to bring them into a place of milk and honey - the Promised Land. Yet that generation never entered into the Promised Land. Why? They never took what they knew in their head and transferred it to their heart. Finally, it never resulted in actions that were based on what they believed.

When I was a new Christian I heard an illustration of what belief and faith looked like when combined. If you were a trapeze artist and were skilled at walking across tightropes over high places, you might even be willing to walk across Niagara Falls. In fact, I would have confidence that you could because I had seen your abilities as a trapeze artist. However, if you asked me if you could push me in a wheelbarrow across Niagara Falls, you would be challenging me to put my beliefs into action. This requires faith, participation, and risk, which, until now, was based only on mental assent.

The writer of Hebrews is telling us that if we believe God but do not enter in to those promises, we are like the man who chooses not to get into the wheelbarrow. If we don't act on our beliefs, then we remain in the desert like the people of Israel who never received God's promises. They did not combine what they knew in their head with a faith that was put into action.

Has God spoken to you about an area in your life that requires a step of faith? Let God provide the courage, as He does the knowledge, to act in faith on what you believe.

Thank you Father....that You provide the courage I need to "step out" in faith...
    You are an awsome God. There is no other like you in all the universe.
    Please be very real to all my friends here on MWO.. Help them to know you as their Father, Best Friend and Savior.
    In The name above all names...Jesus Christ.
    Amen
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

The wheelbarrow

Hi Nancy, stupid question number 1483, you may regret saying that you would try to answer my questions as a complete newy to Jesus our Christ, anyway, here it is, what happened to Mary and Joseph? Is there any mention of them in the new testament? I have just bought my first ever copy of The Bible from a local christian charity shop, do you have Blythswood where you are? anyway I have just finished reading the third of my newly acquired Christian books and obviously decided that I should at least read the Good Book itself before I continue with others. Thank you for your support it really is more appreciated than you will ever know.

Lorna
    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

The wheelbarrow

Hi Lorna,
      I'm very happy that you are seeking to know Jesus and all questions are welcome.
      Yes ,Mary and Joseph are in the New Testament. The gospel of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all have something to say about Jesus and his family.
      Mary and Joseph had children after Jesus was born.
      Joseph was a carpenter by trade and Jesus worked with him until he was ready to start His ministry at about thirty.
      I think Joseph may have been older than Mary and died before she did.
      Jesus asked from the cross for Mary to be taken care of.

As you read from Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, you will notice the same story told by these different men.

I ask for spititual eyes and ears for you as you read and for The Holy Spirit to help you to understand .

Love,
      Nancy

Comment

The wheelbarrow

Thank you and thank you Nancy, I had no idea that Mary and Joseph had children after the birth of Jesus, I really thought that they were 'forgotton' as I read that Jesus never returned to Nazareth... I promise not to ask any more obviously silly questions until I have read The Book, having said that, I will most probably write questions as they arise as I read but what i have found is that the questions I have, well some of them are already answered to me as I read more. I am looking forward so much to this journey and really feel that I could not ask ANYONE the questions I have asked you and have asked you with little embarrassment, I don't know why I just know it is.

Lorna
        Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

The wheelbarrow

Lorna,
          The only bad question is the un asked one.
          Keep them coming! Maybe someone else will jump in and answer some also.
          I go to Crosswalk - Devotionals, Christian Music, Family, Christian News, Forums & more for answers to my questions. They have many versions of the Bible and I can do a search on words or names and probably on dates and events also.

I'm excited about your "journey"! I hope you have a good day at work tomorrow!
          Love,
          Nancy

Comment

Working...
          X