Alcohol...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol...........

What is an easy way to stop alcohol addict?

Alcohol...........

Not sure what you are asking. Many people are stopped by different things. However, if it demanded by someone else.....the results may be disappointing. The drug is very powerful.

If someone does not want to stop...they won't. And they will never stop on a dime because you are pissed off.

If my husband had given me a choice between him or drinking....I am sure he would have disappointed by the choice. Because the choice is usually presented at the wrong time.

You have to decide what is best for you....not the addict. The addict has to choose what is best for them.

You do not have the power to get someone to quit....and that is my opinion only. And if it were easy...you are kidding yourself....its a tough battle.

Comment

Alcohol...........

what sunflower said is so sad but so true. I grew up with a BIG TIME alcoholic father who died at the age of 56 from drinking. As a child, I used to try to figure out ways to confront it (god forbid anyone in the family address the elephant in the room) so that he would see what he was doing to himself and his family. I remember once when my parents were away for the weekend. I was 14 or 15. I went into our yard and searched out all the hidden bottles. I brought them all in the house ...there were 6 or 7 in varying degrees of emptiness.....I put them in the liquor cabinet so that my parents would see that I knew. I was scared to confront it with my parents because they did not talk about it at all. So i figured by putting the bottles in the liquor cabinet, I would be sending a message that I knew and that it bothered me. They get home from their weekend away and guess what? They call me into the room and accuse ME of having a party while they were away and the evidence was all the bottles of extra booze in the liquor cabinet. Funny, they didn't punish me. But they never retracted the accusation either.
      Another time, after my dad left, he came to our house to see my mom perform in a chorus show. I looked in his briefcase and sure enough, there was a bottle of booze. I took it and put it in my room. I was in bed reading and I heard him RUN upstairs. He found it on my shelf and he asked me if he could have it. I said yes. He goes into the hallway and I can hear him chugging the whole thing down. I can't imagine asking my own child if I could have a bottle of booze...
      As a parent now, I cannot believe those two things happened to me. They had a profound effect on me. There is NO WAY anyone can stop someone from drinking. I tried so many different ways. He simply chose alcohol over me. To this day, I am trying to figure out why.
      I just won't anymore

Comment

Alcohol...........

jenniech;1383485 wrote:
        As a parent now, I cannot believe those two things happened to me. They had a profound effect on me. There is NO WAY anyone can stop someone from drinking. I tried so many different ways. He simply chose alcohol over me. To this day, I am trying to figure out why.
        Jen, he didn't CHOOSE at all, he was sick. You of all people know this.

Of course you are a better parent as I am to my children. But if you had a stroke because of YOUR drinking your children might say the same thing of you.

Growing up is about seeing your parents as equal human beings. It is hard enough NOW for people to seek treatment for alcoholism, imagine how hard it was back then?

A lovely song by Savage Garden contains this line which is sooo appropriate to what you are feeling.....

' I believe our parents did the best job they knew how to do'

Forgive your father, he loved you the best he knew how.

:l:l:l

KY

Comment

Alcohol...........

jenniech;1383485 wrote: what sunflower said is so sad but so true. I grew up with a BIG TIME alcoholic father who died at the age of 56 from drinking. As a child, I used to try to figure out ways to confront it (god forbid anyone in the family address the elephant in the room) so that he would see what he was doing to himself and his family. I remember once when my parents were away for the weekend. I was 14 or 15. I went into our yard and searched out all the hidden bottles. I brought them all in the house ...there were 6 or 7 in varying degrees of emptiness.....I put them in the liquor cabinet so that my parents would see that I knew. I was scared to confront it with my parents because they did not talk about it at all. So i figured by putting the bottles in the liquor cabinet, I would be sending a message that I knew and that it bothered me. They get home from their weekend away and guess what? They call me into the room and accuse ME of having a party while they were away and the evidence was all the bottles of extra booze in the liquor cabinet. Funny, they didn't punish me. But they never retracted the accusation either.
          Another time, after my dad left, he came to our house to see my mom perform in a chorus show. I looked in his briefcase and sure enough, there was a bottle of booze. I took it and put it in my room. I was in bed reading and I heard him RUN upstairs. He found it on my shelf and he asked me if he could have it. I said yes. He goes into the hallway and I can hear him chugging the whole thing down. I can't imagine asking my own child if I could have a bottle of booze...

I'm ashamed to admit that I have been where your father was and I am still trying to re-establish the bonds with my 14 year old daughter and my 2 grown up sons.
          It's an uphill struggle but hopefully being AF will regain some degree of confidence. I've chosen my children over the bottle which was destroying everything in my life.
          Good luck to you and yours

Comment

Working...
          X