Drink for after workout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drink for after workout?

OK sporty guys and girls - I have a (minor) problem!

Since I started down this path about 6 1/2 weeks ago, I have managed by adroit manoevering to avoid the "after gym beers" with my workout buddies.

Partly been achieved by going to the gym early in the morning instead of in the evening, and partly because I have been away on business for 3 weeks during this time.

Tonight tho' I will be at the gym and will be expected to go for the usual couple of beers afterwards.

What my buddies didn't know was that after the couple of beers in the pub in the past, I used to then go back home via the beer shop, sneak a six pack into the house in my gym bag, and scoff the lot myself after the rest of my family went to bed!

Well - I've been here a while now - so that is NOT going to happen tonite!!!

I want to go along to the pub as usual coz the company is good - but I need a refreshing, rehydrating drink to substitute for the usual beer.
    Not caring about appearances or anything as I have told my mates that I am cutting back on alcohol.

Only problem is - for me, there is (was?) nothing better than a cold beer after a workout - so I need to find something that is going to be as appealing as possible.

Not too keen on fruit juices / sweet tasting stuff.

Any suggestions for killer non alcoholic post workout drinks??
    What do you guys drink??

Satori
    "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Drink for after workout?

i drink lime and soda.
    sometimes tonic water with slice of lemon.
    What about N/A beer?

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Hi Bella,

Thanks for the suggestions

I was already thinking about soda water and lime as a possibility.
      May go for that.
      Although I am not keen on sweet fruit juices - tomato juice might be another possibility - but it is not really all that refreshing!

N/A beer is a bit like like vegetarian sausages - I can't see the point really!
      Most of it tastes pretty foul anyway.

Take Care

Satori

xxx
      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Drink for after workout?

See, that's the problem with bars these days!!

They should offer Accerlade shots, or maybe keep Gatorade on tap? :H :H
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Drink for after workout?

I find ginger ale hits the spot - not too sweet (if you like sweet, it's also good with a dash of grenadine). Also iced tea is big here. - I find tomato juice too heavy ...though in the evening not bad with a dash of worcester sauce to spice it up a bit.

You're right about the beer, though - I haven't drunk beer for a while now and not missed it, but since I've started training again that's the first thought!

Good job in keeping in with the drink buddies by the way, without caving in!
          :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
          Goals:
          Days 1-7 DONE
          Days 8-14 DONE
          Days 15-21 DONE
          30 days DONE
          60 days
          100 days

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Hi satori:

Three words.

Glacier Freeze Gatorade.

It hits my spot like nothing else. I buy the powder by the pound, and always have a gallon or two sitting in the fridge.

Neil

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys - well guess what I ended up drinking?

BEER - AAAARGGHHHHHH! That was NOT the plan!

This Bl**dy addiction is SOOO sneaky.
              Walked up to the bar planning to order two pints of beer and a soda water and lime and heard "three pints of Stella" come out of my mouth! D'OH!

At least this time I stopped after 1.5 pints!

AND - I actually has to go to the store where I used to buy beer for some other groceries after I got home from the bar (my kids are eating us out of house and home these days!), but this time I walked right past the beer cabinet.

So I guess that is a BIG improvement over where I was at a couple of months ago.
              Problem is - I have been moderating so well over the last month that the 1.5 pints was enough to give me a hangover this morning - I had almost forgotten how bad it feels.

Never mind, onward and upward.
              Next time I will get it right!
              I am gonna practice saying "SODA WATER AND LIME" 3000 times every day until the next trip to the gym.

Workout was GOOD tho'
              I recently bought one of these tiny ipod 2nd generation shuffles. Perfect for exercising - so tiny it just clips to the waistband of my shorts and does not get in the way at all.
              Loaded it up with all the good hard rocking sounds it could hold - makes a big difference to my workout!

See ya

Satori

Comment

Drink for after workout?

At least you stopped, that is great! ginger beer for me and lemon lime & bitters
                "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Yes you stopped! That takes a bit of discipline. I went out for a meal with my husband on friday and had 3 tonic waters while my husband drank beer. i felt almost saintly doing that!! but it was okay (ish)! We didnt stay long. Stay strong satori and maxman. B

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Satori, most NA beer does indeed taste like cat pee, but I DO like the regular "green can" Odouls quite well and enjoy it when I really want a cold one. IF they have a good bartender there they can whip up something creative I'm sure. Tonic water with lime is also a good one for me. At home I now make a drink that consists of natural grape juice with some vinegar in it to "mature it up" a bit. sounds bad but it's kind of wine-like and healthy.
                    I've been looking at the Apple shuffle for a while now too....hmmmm.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Hi Bella, Maxman and Determinator.

Bella, I was in the same boat on Saturday - had some friends round for a meal and sat sipping soda water and lime while they (and my wife) all drank wine - from 6 30pm to around 11 30pm - but actually didn't find it too much of a struggle - in fact it was quite interesting watching them all getting tipsy while I didn't - bit of a first for me!

Problem is - we bought in some beer in anticipation of them coming round - and the beers are still in the refrigerator - I really need someone to get rid of them / hide them away somewhere because they are quietly calling my name come the "witching hour".

Maxman, I was actually drinking ginger beer yesterday - for the first time in about twenty years. I was looking for alternatives to my usual poison.
                      I had forgotten how hot and spicy that stuff was!

Hey D, If you like working out or doing anything active, the apple shuffle is great - but for anything else it is a bit limited.
                      I bought it specifically for working out, running, skiing, and backpacking.
                      It is so light it is almost non existent, but it only holds about 16 cds worth of music (about 13 hours worth on mine right now but not quite full).
                      It has no screen - so if you have allowed the itunes software to randomly select tracks from a large music collection, you may not know what you are listening to!

Take care

Satori

Comment

Drink for after workout?

Bella you are a legend!!!!
                        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

Working...
                        X