• Show
Clear All

10 steps to guilt free living

Thank You Father, for these.
    I feel better already!
    :h Nancy

10 Steps to Guilt Free Living

by Steve Arterburn

1. Don't ignore, but rather respond to the message of your conscience. Guilt can be a merciless taskmaster that drives us far from God, or it can gently lead us back to a right relationship with Him, more fully convinced than ever of the Father's love. How we respond to guilt today can determine our success in life for years to come.

2. Listen to your guilt objectively. If you are feeling guilty, your internal moral compass may be sounding an alarm. Maybe your guilt is justified, maybe not. Don't embrace false guilt, but rather look at your situation in the light of objective truth and God's Word...For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation; but the sorrow of the world produces death. ~2 Corinthians 7:10

3. Tell the truth and be truthful about your circumstances. It's easy to "embellish" the truth about your life, decisions and relationships. God is really into honesty...If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. ~ 1 John 1:9

4. Live a "no regrets" lifestyle. We often take for granted the relationships, family members and friends in our life. In reality, those closest to you could be swept away in the blink of an eye. Treat each moment as a gift of God's sovereign grace, and redeem it with love and forgiveness towards others. You'll sleep well at night!

5. Realize that in some sense, you're guilty as charged. Guilt can arise from things we say and do that directly violate God's law. Everybody sins. The fact is, the Bible says...All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. ~ Romans 3:23. But, God does not leave you under the emotional burden of sin. He has made a way to break free from our sin and guilt.

6. Talk to God about your guilt. God wants to free you from anything that would hinder your full life and liberty in Him. Wouldn't you help your children in any way you could? God wants to help you resolve guilt issues, but you have to open the lines of communication.

7. Embrace God's answer for guilt. God works through everything that happens in our lives, including guilt, to draw us to Jesus...And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. ~Romans 8:28,29. No matter what you have done, God has made a way home through His Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus lived a perfectly sinless life, yet He was willing to die on the cross and receive the punishment we deserved. His death on the cross and resurrection secures for you all the blessings of God, including forgiveness.

8. Be aware that some guilt comes from your enemy. At times, the enemy of our soul, Satan, uses guilt to keep us from the Lord. The Bible describes Satan as the accuser of our brethren ~Rev. 12:10, who appears before God day and night with accusations against believers. These accusations can leave you feeling as if God will not forgive you. If you have repented of your sins but still feel the accuser lurking in the shadows, confront the accusations in light of God's Word. Jesus said...If therefore the Son shall make you free, you shall be free indeed. ~John 8:36

9. Make yourself accountable to a trusted person or group of people. This will allow you to confess your struggles in a safe atmosphere and it also allows others to pronounce God's forgiveness over you.

10. Learn to let go of the past. Not even God can change your past, but He desires to strongly impact your future. If you've brought your past sins before the Lord, confessed them and changed your behavior then let them go! If you don't, you minimize the work of atonement Christ did on the cross. Get up, dust yourself off and get on with your life.
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

That was so timely for me, can't believe it!
    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

feeling guilty bout all sorts of things, my past........ groan, my present... going to have a long hard think about stuff.....
      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Tea! Refer back to number 10!! The past is gone! Yeah!!
        Look toward a much brighter future!
        :goodjob: Nancy:l
        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sometimes i feel guilty for not trying to helps Macks, a few years back instead of waiting till last year......But now i am looking forward to a brighter future with Macks and my little Mackbabies XX
          Elvis is'nt dead, he's in my broom cupboard ....

Comment

As always, Nancy, you've shared some good stuff... and for me it was just all the right stuff.
            :heart: Eliziby :heart:

Comment

Working...
            X