Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Day God Served Me Humble Pie

Hey Gang,

There was a kink in the computer system here and I couldn't read my blogs until I resubrscribed. Found a blog there that I wanted to post with everyone. I guess for newbies, it will tell my story but for oldies, it will explain why I feel better about my decision to strengthen our monthly mod site and not go looking for the bluebird of happiness in other areas.

Here's my old post:

Posted 02-25-2010 at 02:45 PM by Eve11

I felt pretty good making the choice to moderate when I first came here.. My past wasn’t daily drinking. When I drank it usually wasn’t even heavy drinking to most folks. I could get a real good buzz off of 3 glasses of wine and was sufficiently drunk with 4..

It was easy to believe I was an “abuser” of alcohol and not a chronic alcoholic like my father had been. I remember hearing the beer bottle cap popping the first thing in the morning when he would get up and it never quit popping all day. He went through a case of beer a day and then started adding in hard liquor as well. Yet, he would balk if he was confronted about being an alcoholic. He died with cirrhosis of the liver and had been hospitalized numerous times for bleeding varicies but still never believed or admitted he was an alcoholic.

I was fearful of being in denial like he was so was always open to confronting my alcohol demons. When I went to therapy for co-dependence the counselor asked me the 4 standard alcohol questions and of course I failed. As a young 20 something at the time who had gotten into the partying mode and who had abused alcohol on more than one occasion I easily failed questions like: “Have people ever criticizied your drinking?”…well, yes, I had a girlfriend who didn’t like it when I drank too much when out with her or “Have you ever felt remorse for your drinking?” Heck yeah, everytime I had a hangover I had huge remorse.

She promptly sent me to AA before she would work with me on my co-dependence issues. “Ok”, I thought. I must be an alcoholic because she says so. So, I quit drinking without any problem or craving, went to my first AA meeting and continued for 7 years to abstain from alcohol. Eventually I quit going to meetings and started to notice things about other people’s drinking. “Hey!” I would think. I never drank like THAT!” I started to question whether or not I needed to completely abstain and so I started drinking again. Things went fine for a few years but then I started seeing a pattern of getting too drunk on the occasions I would drink. I wouldn’t count drinks but would just keep drinking at a party without thinking about how much I was drinking and before I knew it I would be slurring or stumbling out the door. That’s when I found MWO so that I could get the support I needed for moderating my drinking.

I was a little fooled by the board when I first came here because I thought it was a board for moderators yet the more I read the more I realized that the majority of people were AFers. Many had tried to moderate and realized that they couldn’t. Like my father, many had a past of hard core drinking…daily drinking where it was tough to get through a day without a drink. I had never been that kind of drinker. Remember when I was asked to quit by the counselor and I said “Ok” and quit cold turkey without a problem for 7 years?. So, I learned to stick to the thread for moderators and if I went to other threads where AFers were posting (like the General Thread or Research thread) I would tread very lightly with what I said as I didn’t want to offend people who knew they couldn’t moderate.

One day someone joined our thread who was a happy moderator. He would expound upon the joys of being able to moderate. He motivated the group and was a big asset in many ways. But, he made a mistake one day. He posted something on a thread that AFers frequented and one in particular got very angry as she felt he was out and out promoting the benefits of alcohol consumption and she felt that that could be detrimental to folks that needed to be AF.

I tactfully defended our happy moderator and then was confronted by the disgruntled AFer who stated that she felt I wasn’t “sensitive to the struggles of others who are not able to drink alcohol in a controlled fashion... and for whom the consumption of alcohol is truly a matter of life and death.”

I didn’t feel that I felt that way. I truly felt that I empathized with those who need/ed to be AF. But I’m not sorry she critiqued me this way as sometime we can’t really see ourselves. It made me more aware of how sensitive I should be when I post in other areas rather than the moderation area.

One day recently I met a hospitalized man who was admitted for severe liver failure. When I spoke to him he said he had been alcohol free for 8 years. He had gone to a counselor who didn’t understand alcoholism and she advised he could safely have a drink or two in moderation. “She didn’t realize” he said “that I’m an alcoholic. I thought I could have a drink or two…but I can’t”.

God served me humble pie that day.

As a moderator who is having relatively good success, I always want to remember that many folks cannot safely moderate. For some it truly is a matter of life or death. May we be thankful for the fact that some (probably very few of us) can moderate. But may we always remain humble in the fact that we can do so. It’s fine to support each other here on our moderation site but let’s be cautious about what and how we say things elsewhere. And for newcomers who want to believe that they too can moderate, please be sure to read our posts here. Take our advice to try to get some AF time under your belt so that you can get alcohol out of your system to clear your thoughts about the best plan for you and if moderation can be the plan for you.

Well, gotta run…have to finish eating my humble pie.

Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing this again. It is interesting that it sounds like recent events here, though I remember that person and the struggle.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Again, thank you.

It is amazing to me that so often when I really need it, I find help here. Eve, thank you for re-posting this for those of us who hadn't read it before. You give good advice to those of us who think/want/hope to moderate. Bless you for all of your calm and thoughtful responses to posts. I have noticed that you seem to be a bridge on troubled waters, many times.

And I guess I also want to say that there have been times when a snarky reply from someone (not you) has made me stay away from the site for days/weeks at a time. And so I do want to say again, thank you. You make me want to come back.

Comment

If I take one drink, the drink then takes me and I have no more control over myself after that. Some people just can not drink alcohol. I am one of those people!
        Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

yeah i havent posted in a while because i was told to quit "whining" its ok,i still read here and there,take what i need and go from there,the whole af free thing may or may not be for me,i did 40 days and it was pretty easy,not a cake walk but easier than i thought,it didnt get hard til 38 days which was a saturday and all i wanted was 2 beers just to watch a movie with hubs,i didnt but probly should have cuz a couple of days later all hell broke loose,i felt like a failure for breaking my streak,so i went out,on another thread somebody had a few weeks af then had a glass of wine,thinks theyre back on day one,i dont agree,whoa this is a long post,sorry,by the way how come the mods threads arent very active?
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

nonamegirl;1465484 wrote: It is amazing to me that so often when I really need it, I find help here. Eve, thank you for re-posting this for those of us who hadn't read it before. You give good advice to those of us who think/want/hope to moderate. Bless you for all of your calm and thoughtful responses to posts. I have noticed that you seem to be a bridge on troubled waters, many times
            Thank you nonamegirl, :h

Even though I have been offended by some folks here and there and am sure that I have unintentionally hurt someone else's feelings with a post that they may not have agreed with, I think most people have the best intentions to help each other here. Someone was quite rude to me one time and when I evaluated what they said, it was quite clear that they were drunk while posting. So, to you and anyone else that reads this, try not to take any post personally that would make you quit coming here. Sometimes we just don't know what that poster is going through, their struggles, etc. The good definitely outweighs any bad here so "keep coming back".

:l
            Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hippyman;1465499 wrote: If I take one drink, the drink then takes me and I have no more control over myself after that. Some people just can not drink alcohol. I am one of those people!
              That is the beauty of being able to discover who we are when we come here and share our thoughts and feelings with each other. Congrats on your sobriety Hippyman. Keep coming back and sharing your words of wisdom with others.

Eve11

Comment

paulywogg;1465667 wrote: ...by the way how come the mods threads arent very active?
                Hi Pollywog,

Mods isnt' as active as people moderating usually don't need the daily support like someone does who is really struggling to live one day at a time without alcohol. The downside of that (not being active) is we don't have the strong support and bonding experience that abstainers do. They definitely have a better social network which is wonderful for them. Wish we modders could have face to face meetings as that would be helpful I think. I just like people to be more real and appreciate those who post their photos. I am not as computer saavy as I would like to be but may figure that one out someday and show everyone who I am. Keep coming back Pollywog, we're here for you whether you moderate, abstain, or haven't quite figured out what you're doing.
                Eve11

Comment

Eve11, I really appreciated your story. It echoes many of my own experiences and thoughts.

Comment

Well, lesson learned, I hope

Hi, all,
                    Evie and everyone, I have to 'fess up. I cannot moderate. I have finally proved it to myself enough times that I realize it is simply God's own truth. Last night I had a drink with my husband ... and that is the last one. Of course, he had one drink, I had ugghhh... enough to put my head in the toilet yet again. I know that it will be easy to not drink today, harder tomorrow, and much harder in the weeks to come, but that is what I have to do. I'll make a doctor's appointment, because trying to do it on my own has not worked, even with coming here. SO, professional help is called for. Darn it. How embarrassing!

Thanks again for being here.

Comment

nonamegirl,

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Everyone who reads your post can relate in one way or another. There is no shame in deciding to be abstinent either. Actually much better support for those abstaining so you have just joined a wonderful new community. Here are my words of wisdom for you today:

Invest in yourself. It will pay you for the rest of your life.

Good luck in your journey and we are here for you whenever you need us.

Eve11

Comment

Good luck nonamegirl! I think I am in the same position as you. Have tried a number of times over the years to moderate and always get back to the same place where I am regretting the night before. Headache and sick feeling myself today, as a result of what I did last night. And, had a fight with my daughter which makes me feel terrible too. Now, can I really do what I need to do? That remains to be seen. I wish you all the best and would love to see you post how it is going for you!

Comment

ljeanner;1469637 wrote: Eve11, I really appreciated your story. It echoes many of my own experiences and thoughts.
                          Thanks ljeanner,
                          Responding to this post rather late (vacations, not catching every post etc.) so wanted to let you know that I appreciate your kind words. Life is so amazing when we can relate to each other's stories and gain wisdom, strength, and insight. Hope you are doing well in this journey. Just remember to "keep coming back" as they say in AA. Whether we're trying to abstain completely or do harm reduction with less drinking (moderation) I believe we need each other to lean on.

Eve11

Comment

Working...
                          X