JUST A THOUGHT.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST A THOUGHT.

Whilst reading the posts over the last few months I have seen so many people writing that giving up alcohol has left a gap in their life, or they?re bored, or they don?t know what to do?Well, I have found something now which more than fills that empty space, it overflows.. I would like to share that experience with you in the hope that it may help some of you still searching ?Are you sitting comfortably, then I?ll begin?.

Recently I have found myself travelling along a path of spiritual beliefs..I was born and raised an Irish Catholic, but, at the age of about 17 I turned away from the church and all organised religions..

When I reached my fifties I felt that there was something missing from my life, a gap, an empty space, but I didn?t know how to fill it?.My drinking really began to escalate, I thought that by drinking to excess nearly every night I could somehow obliterate these feelings?

Last September, about two weeks before I stopped drinking for good, and I must say here that at that time, although I knew I was drinking far too much, I had no real intention of stopping, I was in my local library when I saw a poster advertising a talk at the local Guildhall, the talk was entitled THE SILENCE WITHIN, and it was being given by a representative of a group called BRAHMA KUMARIS?It sounded interesting so I went along to it a few days later?.Well, all I can say is that sitting there in that hall I felt as if I had come to the end of a long journey and at long last found a place to call home?..The speaker was an Indian lady, very quite voice, but you could hear every word?She spoke about the group and what their objectives were, basically, world peace through changing attitudes, they work closely with the UN and they are world wide with retreat centres in most major cities? She then spoke about finding that deep silence through meditation which we all have within us, that deep area where we really find out what and who we are? After this we did some meditation? When I got home, I can?t explain it except to say, somehow, I felt different, as if something had clicked in my brain and now I had this map to guide me...

A few days later I put in a search on Google for the BRAHMA KUMARIS and found their web site?It gives a history of them, but, also they have a page on there which gives daily meditations?. I started to do these and felt really relaxed and happy?.Now, one week after this experience I had a very bad drinking binge, during that evening, somehow, I found this site, registered and posted my first few words?.The following day when I used my computer and clicked on my favourites to find something, there was this website called MY WAY OUT?I had no recollection of it, so imagine my surprise when I clicked on it to find out I was a member?I haven?t had a drink since that day?Sometimes I get the feeling there is something or someone guiding me, why I don?t know, but I?m sure I?ll find out one day?

At the moment I am doing a workshop in RAJ YOGA MEDITATION with the Brahma Kumaris?.With this it takes you that bit further along the path, discussing meditation, karma and reincarnation amongst other things?Now, all this is new to me, and recently I have found myself wanting to know more, especially about Buddhism, which as far as I am aware is not a religion but more a way of life... In my ignorance I thought that as a glass of water is just that, a glass of water, then Buddhism is just Buddhism?But its not, there are so many different forms, where do I start, how do I start, do I have to follow one particular type of teaching???? I firmly believe that from the night I went to hear that initial talk that my feet were firmly but gently placed on this path I am now following, and this belief has been one of the mainstays in helping to maintain my sobriety, that, coupled with all the help and support I have received here have been mighty weapons in my personal armoury..

Now, I feel as if I am ready to take some tentative steps further along this path of spiritual learning..I?m sure there are others in MWO who like me, would like to know and learn more of the philosophy and teachings of Buddha? Likewise there will be people who would like to experience deeper meditation practices to help bring peace and calm to the mind..

So, I guess I?m after two things here?Wanting to learn about the philosophy, the way of life and teachings of Buddhism, and, meditation?Perhaps we could set up a small Buddhist teaching and discussion group.. It would be interesting to hear any views on this?.
    Thanking you in anticipation,
    Louise xx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

JUST A THOUGHT.

fascinating the way the universe leads us, isn't it???? what an exciting and wonderful path you've been on, louise!
    i'm eager to hear what others have to say in response to your comments. i, myself, am still struggling in the embryonic stages of.....all of the above! my drinking is soooo much better under control, but still not where i want it to be. and i've found that as i've began to get it under control, i have began to get it contact with my spirituality, which i have been so desperately missing the last few years. been doing some readings of depak chopra (did i spell that right? looks funny ) and brian weiss and debby ford and really feeling like there is so much that is missing in my life and i am just on the very edge of touching it....i'm just about to grasp it.....I almost understand it......glimpse it.....
    It's right here within us, yes? As is sobriety. We just have to recognize it. Claim it. Hold on to it. Become familiar with it.....
    Thank you for starting this thread. I have so very much to learn....

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Yes, it is facinating indeed where the universe leads us. I clicked on the Buddha site that tawny mentioned in her post (Tawn do you speak Korean???) and read through it somewhat bewildered. There was a link to a Canadian site and I clicked on that. It showed all the centres in Canada and low and behold, there is a retreat/teaching Dharma centre not 30 miles north of where I live - deep in the middle of the woods. They have a course starting in a week and I will try to get into that one, even if it is just for a day.
      Let's see where it will lead me. I am very curious and excited, because I have a hole in my soul, that I need to fill.
      Love all, Lori
      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

I just booked into a beginners Raja yoga (in keeping with Buddhism) weekend retreat in the mountains behind Sydney for mid April. It sounds and looks so peaceful. Really looking forward to becoming a grasshopper in this philosophy.

Leura Retreat Centre Virtual Tour

Louise, thanks again for your original post. I'll update with my experience, in this forum next month.

Doo
        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

hello irishlady, i would be interested in learning about this. you mentioned reincarnation in your post. I have always been a firm believer in this. I don't know why really but it just makes so much sense to me. the cycle of life. Someone mentioned having a hole in their sole, it is a wierd empty feeling and i would love to get into my sole and learn how to fill it. Thankyou for your wonderful post. B

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Dear Louise,
            Thought I'd transfer my post across as well, so people can have a bit of a read.

What a fitting 1000 th post.
            I may be able to help a little here.
            I took what is called refuge in 2003.
            I then took some of the precepts a few months later. But that is for another time.
            I think the idea of a little group could work well.

The core principle of Buddhism is freedom, liberation of the self. And more.
            Now, that entails more than I can write in a post, so I’ll direct you to some reading material..
            There's so much I and others could write about, but, let's get some reading material going:
            There is a beaut book (along with the myriad that are out there) called :
            The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Understanding Buddhism: By Gary Gach. I think it is a better read than Buddhism for Dummies.
            A must get is:
            Introducing Buddhism: By Chris Pauling.
            It is a thin volume, but very good.

Another book I enjoyed is:
            Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness: By Sharon Salzberg.
            I had a suppky of Kleenex next to me by the end of this book!

Jack Kornfield is another VERY good writer and teacher. He has a lot of books and audio. His audio meditation tapes are great. Google him and it will come up with Spirit Rock meditation centre as well as Amazon etc. Take a look in there.
            He also wrote and did a tape series called Meditation for Beginners.
            And a terrific little book is called
            Present Moment, Wonderful Moment. by Thich Nhat Hanh
            You’ll love it. GUARANTEED. Google him and you’ll see he’s a prolific writer. Doing a retreat at his centre at Plum Village is on my list of things to do.

And Breath by Breath by Larry Rosenberg is a bit of a classic.

Martine Batchelor who was a Buddhist nun for many years has a good book called Meditation for Life. (I have a signed copy!)
            So, there’s a bit of reading for you.

As you get a little further n the track, have a go of Pema Chodron. She’s a Canadian (I think) nun. Have a look at : Start Where You are.

So, a few basic Buddhism books, and some meditation. This is purely introductory stuff, but you need a bit of a grounding before delving into other books etc. It can become very confusing. And beginners can make lots of assumptions that are a little off track.

Finally I will leave you with one of the teachings of Buddha. I don’t think any other religion has anything quite like this in any of their writings:
            Next post, I’ll put up the Buddha’s words on Loving Kindness (metta).
            If you like I and others can put up a topic and write a little about it and get comments. What format do you think it should take?
            Louise, reckon we/you should put this as a thread in holistic? It’ll get off this page by tonigh otherwise, and hardly anyone will see it. Fran

Kalama Sutta
            Do not believe in anything (simply)
            because you have heard it.

Do not believe in traditions because they
            have been handed down for many generations.

Do not believe in anything because it is
            spoken and rumoured by many.

Do not believe in anything (simply) because
            it is found written in your religious books.

Do not believe in anything merely on the authority
            of your teachers and elders.

But after observation and analysis
            when you find that anything agrees with reason
            and is conductive to the good and benefit of one and all
            then accept it and live up to it.
            Buddha
            (Anguttara Nikaya Vol. 1, 188-193 P.T.S. Ed.)

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Hi Bella,
              We're kinda setting this up at the moment,so won't do any indepthy stuff at the moment, but just a quick point, and that is in Buddhism we refer to rebirth, not reincarnation, as they are two separate things.
              It is sort of a circularity of life.... a wheel, whereas in western thinking we take a linear path.
              For example, take joy in seeing the leaf dying and dropping off the tree, for it will fall to earth and become part of the earth to provide nourishment for new life to arise. So, the leaf never really dies. That's the circular approch. Same with rebirth.
              Hope that made sense.
              Rags

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

yes it does, thanx rags

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Louise

Congrats on 1000 posts!!! I love the way you write and capture a piece you you within the words.

I have had a passing interest in transcendental meditation when I was 19 and there was a massive void in my life which I subsequently filled with alcohol - seemed a good idea at the time.
                  I loved the feeling of calm and reflection it gave me and a sense of really getting to know myself better.
                  We are so busy running around looking after everyone else we have no time to step back and enjoy!

Fran - thanks for the reading material will try to find - need someone like you on board who knows their stuff!!!!
                  Love S

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

OK, a good website that has heaps of info is BUDDHANET
                    It also has a world wide directory of Buddhist centres. That is on the home page menu at the top. Click onto your country, and voila!
                    Please use this site and links as a starter, as there are a lot of fringe sites out there, with a lot of incorrect or misleading information.

So, where would we like to start?
                    Hmmmm the beginning is usually a good idea.

Oh, yeah, just by the way, that big fat Buddha we all see, isn't. It is a statue of a monk. The message got garbled many hundreds of years ago with Chinese whispers and somehow that obese monk suddenly became the next Buddha to be in chinese and other Asian lore. It's total drivel. He was just a monk, whose name I forget. The fat bit signified wealth and abundance ... in this case not monetary wealth, but the wealth of the knowledge, and state of awakening he had.
                    Myth number one smashed.
                    Raggsy

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Hi Irishlady and like minded persons!

I have been into zen buddhism and zen meditation for many years - as some of you might have guessed from my username.

I'm not sure what we could realistically achieve with an MWO "cyber sangha" seeing as how we are so geographically spread and as we are all impermanent cyber buddhists (and proto cyber buddhists?) on here - but count me in!
                      I would say tho' that my interest in buddhism is a big part of why I want to get rid of alcohol from my life.
                      You can't meditate if you are sloshed!
                      Well - maybe you can - but I can't - I know - I've tried often enough!

However, trying to live mindfully in the present moment - which is central to zen practice - sure helps in making the right decisions as regards drinking, and I believe has made my journey towards sobriety so far reasonably painless.

I think I am most attracted to zen because it (for me) distills the essence of buddhism to the bare essentials - zen has much less of the trappings and rituals assciated with some of the other schools of buddhism.

I look forward to the discussions to come!

Satori

xxx
                      "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Satori

I'm glad you hopped in here - I was hoping you would as you seem to know what you're talking about.

Zen is probably where my interest most lies also.

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Living in the present moment is central to Buddhism. It is part of the original teachings.
                          Zen or Ch'an is another school emphasising the mind seeing directly into the nature of the mind, which the main schools, Theravadin, Mahayana and Tibetan practice.

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

Hey Irish, thank you for this thread! I have started looking for some of those books mentioned. All good!:thanks:
                            :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
                            Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

JUST A THOUGHT.

tawnyfrog;106525 wrote: Satori

as you seem to know what you're talking about.

Zen is probably where my interest most lies also.
                              Fooled you too eh?

There are others on here more deeply involved with Buddhism and much more knowledgeable than I on the subject.

Satori

xx
                              "Though there are many paths at the foot of the mountain - all those who reach the top see the same moon - as any fule kno"

Comment

Working...
                              X