On the Lighter Side: Share a Funny Story, Real of Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Baptist Preacher and his Wife had lost their dog. This dog was loved by their entire congregation. Knowing it was going to be difficult to replace, they started their search for a Baptist dog. They put an add in all the local pappers describing the qualifications they were looking for. They were about to give up, when they received a call from a lady saying "I believe we have just what you are looking for. I think we have found you a Baptist dog. Would you like to come see him?" " By all means" they told her, "we'll be right there." Checking it out they ask the lady what he could do that made him a Baptist dog. She placed a Bible in front of the dog and commanded him to look up John 3:16. With his paw, he began turning the pages till it appeared. This amazing they thought. Then they ask what else he could do. She told him to look up the 23rd Psalm and he turned to it a well. This was unbelievable. There's one more thing he can do, and she continued by commanding him to locate the books of the New Testament. He proceeded to turn to each, one by one, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and so on till he located them all. This was all the pastor and his wife needed to convince them that this was the dog for them.

They bought the dog, named him Caleb, and planned a special church fellowship to get the approval of the congregation and to show them that Caleb was indeed a Baptist dog. First they had him look up John 3:16, and as before, he did, then the 23rd Psalm and he found that too. They went on to tell him to find the books of the Tew Testament and this was no different , they too were found as before. All the members present were amazed at the intellegence of this dog. Trully this was the right dog for their pastor. Then one of the Deacons at the back of the building stood up waving his hand saying, "This is all very well and good, but Caleb is still just a dog, can he do any really dog kind of things?" Then the preacher scratched his head and said, " You know, I really don't know, we have't tried any of thoes commands yet. Lets see how he does." His wife was sitting on the front pew and he was holding the dog on a leash and gave the comand for the Caleb to heel....The dog immediately jumped upon the pew beside his wife and laid both front paws on her forehead and started shaking her head and houling relentlesly. The pastor yelled, " Oh My God, We just bought ourselves a Pentacostal dog."
    :heart: Eliziby :heart:

That sure isn't a Baptist dog!

xoxo
    Nancy
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Love it!

Comment

Humor

A "New Life Every Day" Devotional Thought

Humor
        by Steve Arterburn

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." - Job 8:21

I?m always looking for humor in every situation. No matter where I?m ministering, I like to find something funny in a given set of circumstances and talk about that.

When I first came to faith in Christ, however, I was under the im­pression that I had to give up humor and become very solemn and serious. Soon the part of me that loved to smile and laugh began to wither.

But I didn?t want that aspect of my personality to die. It was a unique part of me that God had created. In reality, it was one of my best strengths. So, over time, I began to let my humor come out again, and I discovered its strength in communicating truth and grace to others.

Don?t buy the notion that a person of faith...a follower of Christ...must be solemn and serious all the time. God gave us a sense of humor. Use it!

?God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.? - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

Share a Funny Story, Real or Fiction

Nancy, thank you for that. I hope others will share their humerous stories with us here. That was my intent for this thread. ""LAUGHTER IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL". Can anyone tell me how to edit the title to this thread and others that need it. As you can see, on the first page of this thread the word in my title reads "of" and it should have been "or". It changed on one page after my edit, but not on all. HELP....... Liz

Comment

On a Sunday morning a mother knocks on her son's bedroom door and tells him it's time to get up and go to church.

"I'm not going to church this morning," the son says.

"You gotta get up and go to church", says mother.

"No, I'm not." says the son.

"Yes you are", says the mother.

"No, I'm not, they don't like me and I don't like them." says the son.

"Give me two good reasons why I have to go," says the son.

"Number one, you're 55 years old and number two, you're the pastor!"

Comment

Prayers as Heard By Children

From San Francisco: When I was a child, I learned this prayer as "Our Father, who are in Heaven, Howard be thy name." I always thought that was God's real name.

Groton, Mass: My mother spent her early childhood saying, "Hail Mary, full of grapes."

Missoula, Mont: My son, who is in nursery school, said, "Our Father, who art in Heaven, how didja know my name?"

Uniontown, Ohio: I remember thinking this prayer was "Give us this day our jelly bread."

Covina, Calif: I recall reading something years ago about the Pledge of Allegiance. Some child thought it began, "I led the pigeons to the flag."

Cleveland, Ohio: When I was little, I often wondered who Richard Stands was. You know: "I pledge allegiance to the flag . . . and to the republic for Richard Stands."

Schenectady, N.Y.: I once knew a child whose favorite Sunday school song was "Gladly, the Cross-Eyed Bear."

Tampa, Fla: When my husband was 6 years old, he thought a certain prayer was "He suffered under a bunch of violets." The real words were "under Pontius Pilate," but at that age, he didn't know better. To this day, we still snicker in church whenever that prayer is read.

Lake Forest Park, Wash: When I was a little girl, we sang a song in Sunday school about Noah. Part of the chorus was "And the rains came down, and the floods came up." We lived next door to a couple of charming little girls who always sang this song while playing in their garden. Their words were, "And the rains came down, and the spuds came up."

Grand Junction, Colo: When I was younger, I believed the line was "Lead a snot into temptation." I thought I was praying for my little sister to get into trouble.

Oak Harbor, Wash: When my older brother was very young, he always walked up to the church altar with my mother when she took communion. On one occasion, he tugged at her arm and asked, "What does the priest say when he gives you the bread?" Mom whispered something in his ear. Imagine his shock many years later when he learned that the priest doesn't say, "Be quiet until you get to your seat."

Comment

*Foul Suspicion*

After the egg hunt on Easter Sunday, the young farm boy decided to play a prank. He went to the chicken coop and replaced every single egg with a brightly colored one.

A few minutes later the rooster walked in saw all the colored eggs, then stormed outside and killed the peacock.

Comment

Tiring of the inconvenience of the drive from airport to country cottage, a man equipped his small plane with pontoons so he could land on the lake directly in front of his cottage.

On his next trip, he made his approach down the airport runway as usual. Alarmed, his wife cried out, "Are you crazy? You can't land this plane here without wheels!"

The startled husband abruptly yanked the nose up, narrowly averting certain disaster. Continuing, he landed the plane on the lake without mishap. As he sat there, visibly shaken he said to his wife, "I don't know what got into me. That's the stupidest thing I've ever done in my life!"

And with that, he opened the door and stepped out, falling into the water.

Comment

Thanks Nancy, those are great. LOL. This is the kind of things I was hopeing for.

Comment

I've shared this on the MWO boards before, but since we're approaching Easter, I'll share it again...

Last year my husband and I took our two older grandsons to church for Easter..Samuel, the now 7 year old is a little pistle...but when he gets in a church he just has the greatest reverence for the holy place. He sat through the whole sermon, holding his candle and sitting pretty still (for him)..as we left the church and passed by the priest, he turned to us and asked if he were God. :0D

Comment

LOL Di! Cute...
                        Nancy

Comment

Ha ha ha ha ha, my young niece was making her debut (3 1/2 years old) on stage at her Nursery nativity play. Very proudly (well for me anyway) she had the role of the Angel Gabriel. Angel Gabriel marched up to Mary ( in her finery of course ) and announced (as loudly as 3 1/2 year olds do) 'Mary, you will have the Son of GORD', Mary promptly replied ' I will do what GORD asks' tee hee hee, we are from the highlands of Scotland and bless their lovely nursery teacher, she is English..... to them, her saying GOD sounds like GORD, Ahhhh Bless....
                          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Two men were fishing on a lake, feeling guilty that it was a Sunday morning, that they were not attending church, and the fish were not biting.

The first guy eventually says: "I should have stayed home and gone to church."

To which the other angler replied: "I couldn't have gone to church, anyhow. My wife is sick in bed."

:H Silly man!

Comment

That's a good one. Keep um cumin Nancy

Comment

Working...
                              X