Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ides of March and Resolution.

The Ides of March.

Hoo boy! A strange day. First, because it is March 15th, 2007, I have now gone 15 months AF.

I went on a short business trip today with 4 work associates, all managers like myself. Won?t go into the details, but it was just a 2 hour drive to the destination, a 2 hour visit and meeting, and a 2 hour drive back. We were in a company van.

Once all the business was concluded, my associates bought a 12 pack, and they polished it off in 45 minutes. Then they stopped, and got yet another 12 pack, and polished it off. No, I was not driving, but another fellow was.

Anyway, in a confined space with 4 other guys drinking like fish (I have mentioned the level of alcohol consumption by my peers before), was a real test of the resolve.

I would be lying if the thought of taking a sip didn?t cross my mind a few times, with it all in my face like that. But the training, the supplements, the program all were in place SOLID. I was dropped off at my house, with the group well on their way to rips-ville.

One thing I was amused at, was the frequent need by them to stop and pee. Just the discomfort of not being able to pee with a bladder full of beer, was something I surely did not miss.

Myself, I got a pint of ice cold glacier freeze Gatorade, which hydrates of course, and is not a major diuretic (maker of pee!).

Beware the Ides of March!!

Not just physically sober, but getting there mentally, and emotionally. I am getting well.

Neil

My God Neil, what a test of strength for you.... Its one thing to walk past a bar, or not go down the wines and spirit aisle in the supermarket, at least you can walk away from it, but to be confined in a van with 4 work colleagues all drinking and not to touch a drop, what an example you are..

Well done..
    Love, Louise xx
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Howdy Irishlady!

Yes, it was sort of trial by fire.

I did something this morning also, never done in ages. Since they were picking me up at my house, I had a couple of hours after waking to enjoy.

I got on my exercise bike (magnetic ergometer), and hammered for 25 minutes to a profuse sweat only a couple of minutes after waking up. Brain was fired up pretty good, and didn't need the usual 2 to 3 cups of coffee to get awake. So that was a good thing. I usually hit the aerobics immediately after work, but this was first time in over 25 years I did it before the work day.

I know a few just gush about doing their workouts in the AM, rather than PM. In this case it worked out better. I retain the right to choose whenever, and however I do my workouts!

That has a nice ring to it. I RETAIN THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE!

I choose not to drink alcohol, and I will retain that right!!!!

Neil

Comment

Gday Kate!

Next time I plug into the deep meditation zone, I will send vicarious waves of subconscious energy 'round the globe to your locale.

The waves will zap you in your slumber, and you will dream. You will dream the dream, "No thanks mate! My drinking days are over and done with!"

Then you too, shall wake with the sly grin, and your compatriots will wonder...."Whats up with Kate?"

And only we will know the reason why.....

Dreaming Kate is free.

Neil

Comment

well done you should be really proud of yourself to not give in ,to the poison that once controlled your life.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Well done Neil! There's great power in choosing and it's a choice I make everyday with no regret. I'm happy to say today is 200 AF yabadabadoooooo

spacie

Comment

Spacie!!!!!

That's brilliant! Congratulations.

Comment

Wow Spacie that is FANBLOODYTASTIC...
                A F F L..
                Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Thank you Neil

Spacie - the elation of success. WELL DONE.

Neil, I felt a tug of connect with your own elation.

You were set up with temptation and the desire to slip back into that familiar "warmth".

But you didn’t. And felt good about it. And liked yourself to-boot.

Last September, I chose life over cigarettes.

Fresh air over a tank of oxygen.

My daughter's beginning years over nothingness.

I am stronger now, but I'm lonely. I miss my buddy. My Smoke 'O Mine.

But, like you with the alcohol bladder, I LOVE that I do not have to bundle up and stand in a blizzard to have a smoke. It IS liberating.

I love that I don’t smell like a wet ashtray.

Stopping cigarettes has been an amazing test for me, but has also triggered one of the biggest binges of my drinking “career”.

As of February ‘06 I was moderating with the best of ‘em. I was in control. I was not going to let the booze get the best of me. I didn’t NEED the booze.

Then I was diagnosed with a lung disease and I fell flat on my face. My interest in my lungs took the place of my liver. I used the excuse to drink. But, I was drinking in "moderation". I WAS ---- really.

But now - my booze buddy has to go too.

I know I can't just visit with my old pal every once and a while. Just like I know I can’t have a smoke on the weekends only.

I'd likely move in after the visit and become the useless f-ck on the couch. I can do that with my eyes closed.

And, frankly, my back is starting to hurt. I need something better than a beer-soaked sofa to die on.

Thanks for the updates. They matter.

Helen

Comment

spacie:

Good on you! 200 days is rock-n-roll. I so look forward, to awarding another GOAFSO soon. Thats the Grand Order Alcohol Free Solar Orbiter. One year AF, and you can do it. I want to award a great many of those, because it is fun, and gives me joy.

Helen:

Oh my. I was going to say, that on my trip, my boss was lighting up the smokes every 20 minutes. He cracked the window, but gosh. I am super sensitive to that smoke now that I have cleaned out my systems. I can smell a ciggie a mile off I think sometimes. Two other guys had quit smoking years ago, on doctors orders to quit or die. But they drink like fish. I just can't drink and not smoke. Tried it. Been there done that. So both had to go. I'm glad too. I CAN BREATHE NOW!!

You know, after I quit my drinking and smoking, I went on a little project. I took my entire collection of music CD's, and compressed them all into MP3 files. Anyway, I noted that every single CD, must have been 500 or so, had a yellowish coating. It was cigarette smoke residue!! Years and years in the house, and cigarette crude had settled on everything. So I cleaned and cleaned. Still working on it to this day. Steam cleaned furniture and carpets. Floors, walls, everything had ciggie gunk on it.

After cleaning all of those CD cases, it really hit me just how crappy and nasty those ciggies are. The gunk I would wipe off was a nasty yellow brown tar crud. Amazing. No wonder I was so sick and terrible.

By the way, I have not had a crippling back episode, or even a cold or flu since I began my program. Used to get stay home sick a dozen times a year, and back cripple two or three times a year. I sure don't miss being an invalid. Read my thread in Fitness on my last physical exam if you have not already. The proof is in the pudding!

I was 90% dead 15 months ago. Getting ready to put the other foot in the grave. Now both feet are out, and I am walking away. I can run! I can lift! I am alive again!

Neil

Comment

Thank you everyone.

One day.......

Comment

Ahemmmm. cough. cough.

I believe I have the bullshit detctor in it's rightful place ... and, anyway - I think she's drop-dead-gorgeous.

So there !

Comment

Working...
                        X