Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December: Remember: Everything in Moderation

Hey modders, lurkers and newbies,

A new month, a new start for many. This is a rough month with a lot of temptations with parties where we will be tempted with too many drinks and too many sweets. Keep coming here to get and give your support. Together we can remain strong in our efforts to cut down or abstain.

:l
    Eve11

p.s. Don't forget to check out the 30 day AF thread for inspiration and further support: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ion-69752.html
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Thanks Eve,

Yes this can be a tough month.. Christmas and New Year.. and all that come inbetween..

Remaining strong is the way to approach it

Patrice

Comment

And peeps just remember that for all the hype it is only a few days.

My downfall last year was the fatigue and poor eating prior to those couple of days that ended up in my feeling 'owed' a drink. Going all day on an empty stomach preparing for the big feast........HUNGRY, angry, lonely, TIRED .....the same rules still apply every day of the year.
      Blood sugar does NOT take holidays, folks :H

Comment

Amen! Eve!!!! You are a true inspiration for those who want to quit! We can all do it!!!
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

hi all -
          Eve, yes, holidays and drinking. Also, cold dark nights...
          after hanging around here off and on over the years I finally really want to make a plan to stop and do something else. Last 2 days I used Kudzu and L-Glut powder. It really helped with cravings. Problem is, then I sort of don't know what to do with my evenings? I know that sounds so awful.
          Anyways, 3 drinks last night that I didn't really want. I am going to cut down to 1 - 2 a night, then go maybe 1 drink a week. I know they say do 30 days, but it is hard to imagine.
          Last night I also had 5htp, and slept really well. I think I drink for the nice serotonin boost, so am going to do that in a healthier way.
          Anyways, finally have a plan.
          L

Comment

Lila: it's great not to have much to do in the evenings! I love curling up to read a book or watch Netflix. Just bought a treadmill w a table attached now I can watch Netflix on iPad while getting exercise. I'm sure soon you will find a new hobby!
            Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

oh, that's great! I would love a treadmill.

Comment

Hey gang,
                It's a busy time of the year so I understand it but am missing postings from our regulars like busy Daddy D, Library Girl, TMH, Drinkingal, V, FFP, all the rest of you know who you are. Hopefully you're all finding a little time to lurk if not time to post. This place keeps us strong. As they say in AA, "keep coming back...it works!" and so does MWO. Also, don't forget the 30 day AF thread. Posted a very funny youtube that you should all watch. After all laughter is the best medicine!
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...-15-69752.html!

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Eve11;1420932 wrote: As they say in AA, "keep coming back...it works!" and so does MWO. Also, don't forget the 30 day AF thread. Posted a very funny youtube that you should all watch. After all laughter is the best medicine!
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...-15-69752.html!

Eve11
                  It surely does. The Newhart skit was funny...thanks! BTW congratulations on your Masters.
                  Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

RingingCedars;1421050 wrote: It surely does. The Newhart skit was funny....
                    Ringing Cedars,

I am so glad you liked it! It was SO funny to me. I love psychology so I could relate on that level, but his advice is just so pure. If only we could all just take it and life was that simple right? So when that big craving hits, all you say is STOP IT. Please watch everyone if you have 2 minutes for a good laugh to start or end your day.

Hi Patrice, nice to *see* you again over here. And Lila, you have been here a long time like me and I always enjoy your input. You hang in here with us. Truly the 30 day AF thread gives a lot of good tips for urges and cravings so be sure to check it out. I think we'll keep it ongoing after the 30 days and just have people respond to whatever day they're on and I'll keep posting inspirational things to keep us all on track.

Hello to all my buddies (the regulars who post often) and our friends who pop in who spend more time on other threads like General, Newbies Nest, Subs, etc. Have a great and productive week everyone.

Eve11

Comment

Hi, All and Happy December!

I'm very busy this week and this month, going to Wichita for business meetings later this week, then in the middle of the holidays selling a condo/buying a house and moving!

I know that a lot of the family dynamics that come up with the holidays, as well as the stresses of work, and the move are all challenges to my sobriety. As many of you know, I went 100+ days AF, and have been moderating since. One of my big challenges is to not give into the old pattern of dealing with stress by drinking. Travel is another one, as is the company Holiday party (Friday night in Wichita.) Maybe I'll try to keep in touch more this week and as the month progresses, rather lean on the help MWO offers than risk giving in to these pressures.

Happy holidays, all...
                      D
                      Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                      When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Hi everyone:

D! Congrats on the condo sell/ house buy! It's going to be busy holiday season for you! Hope the weather will be lenient on your move this time of the year.

I find it weird that I really don't have the compulsion to drink. Now I can either drink or not. I don't just because I want my liver to be healthier from my daily drinking from before. But when I was drinking daily it was like I had to have it because of my withdrawal symptoms or something. L glut and kudzu basically saved me life. I've tested myself several times last 2 months, and find they are the answer to MY drinking issue all these years! Wish more people know about this! I'll bet most docs don't and that's so unfortunate!
                        Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

hi all
                          thanks, Eve! I will check it out. I am easing myself to that point, and actually doing well, thanks to powdered l-glut, kudzu and 5htp. Meeting my goals.
                          Dave, family stuff! ugh, I am already feeling guilty and pressured. I hate traveling for holidays, but I should...but it gets snowy, etc. Better to process feelings than to just get fuzzy, I guess. Wichita sounds warm, right? I have never been there.
                          Alcoholic, good to hear that is working! Yes, I wonder why it isn't more common knowledge. Powder is great, it pretty much dissolves into anything. I took forever to buy it cuz it seems expensive, but it does last. I am already getting thinner. Are you feeling better in some way, more energetic, etc, or maybe not?
                          Just curious.
                          I just ordered the Chemistry of Joy and CoJ workbook. Hmm, maybe that will fix me! Anyway, I am glad I finally have a plan instead of a vague desire to drink less.
                          L

Comment

DfromCT;1421075 wrote:
                            I know that a lot of the family dynamics that come up with the holidays, as well as the stresses of work, and the move are all challenges to my sobriety.
                            D,

It was interesting for me to note with the 30 day AF challenge that not having drinking in my life was not a major loss by any means. In fact, I rather liked waking up every day motivated and ready to put my running shoes on as I hadn't imbibed the night before. It was also a little eye opening to pay attention to all of the marketing for AL when one is trying to avoid it. I guess maybe you become more aware of it when you don't want any! They even have a cart with little wine packs to go at the drug store for crying out loud! My friend Sunbeam posted once that bit by bit she spaced drinking farther and farther apart until she finally ended up reaching a point of not really desiring it any more. I am starting to see a big shift in myself as well. Perhaps I will have a paradigm shift myself this year and get away from that (week-end thinking) where I always seem to think I need a drink with dinner. The promegranate ice tea last week was absolutely yummy. I am also noticing more and more they are putting out a lot of al free drinks. Just picked up a bunch of sparkling ice drinks of various flavors.

Yeah, D, don't let the holidays lead you down the slipperly slope of overdoing it. There are lots of fun non-al options now. It's easy for new moderators who aren't being diligent to slowly go back to their old ways. Keep hanging with us and we'll keep you strong.

Eve11

Comment

Hi everyone! Parties are in full swing here. Started last Sat. night with a Christmas Fundraiser for Adopt a Family. Then last night was our outdoor Annual Tree Lighting ceremony with Santa for Toys for Tots. (Santa arrived in a golf cart).

At least took a day off today, no parties, no drinking. Will have to review where I can access the funny clip. Got the book What Did I Do Last Night from the library. Little slow, hope it gets more interesting. College party boy phase.

Well, just wanted to pop in and say hi.

TMH
                              The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Working...
                              X