ONset of depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONset of depression

I have been AF for 6 months for the first time in almost 30 years. It was so easy to do it was like I had never drank before. Could offer wine to other's and keep it in the house and never once even crossed my mind to have a drink................still doesn't. I have been on my vitamins, eating healthy, trying to get exercise of some kind; but the last week I have just been so depressed I wonder what is going on. I know the good weather is about to come and that always mean't the night spent outside in my garden, coming in around 7 for a bite to eat and about 4 drinks before bed, as I get up at 5 for work. I know I need to replace this habit with something, besides the drinks. But lately I just work, come home, eat and go to bed...........I have no drive or enthusiasum for anything. It's only been a couple of weeks now; but getting me worried, it's my drinking self telling me, how boring it is to not drink. I like the way I feel sober and my family is thrilled, as I for the change. Has anyone had this experience a few months down the road. I really have no cravings for alcohol; but the depression has me afraid that may be next. I want to do whatever I need to do, or take what ever suplements can help me through this phase. HELP I enjoy the new me; but I am boring myself, it's like I am kind of sleep walking through life. Thanks for listening.:nutso:
    newbegin

ONset of depression

Thank you newbegin

Great points.
    I am also eagerly waiting for some advice on this.

Comment

ONset of depression

well, I'm not months down the road but here's what I've read on supp's that might help you skip through a little depression episode: the amino acid Phenylalanine in doses of 50 to 3000 mg combined with B6. Also L-Tyrosine has big merit as an anti-depressant in doses of 1000mg. I'd see a doc first though because they may effect your blood pressure if you have any issues there. You should however be able to take GABA in doses up to 3 grams per day without any issue (doses over 4 grams can cause nausea). I'm NOT a doctor. Just food for thought. Moderately vigorous exercise has to be at the top of the list too. Take care.
      D.
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

ONset of depression

Hi newbegin, I have also not been drinking for a while and I like the new me but it does get boring and i feel so sensible it's highly irritating! I have suffered from depression ever since i started to drink heavily. My doc put me on anti-depressants(citalopram) and i am now feeling less wobbly. Have you seen your doc?
        I am very familiar with having no drive or enthusiasm, but i think as long as you are eating healthily this will come back. Join a fitness group maybe, take up a hobby. You have done and are doing so fantastically well to have gone this far, you just need to make that extra effort to make your life a little more fun. I have found that my mind is thinking so much more clearly and more in perspective so i am equipt to work out what to do to make life enjoyable. There are no fairy-tale endings but this is the new you and only you can create a good time ahead for yourself. All the best to you. B

Comment

ONset of depression

Hi peoples,

My depression comes and goes, are you making yourself do some kind of exercise (everyday?) it really helps my clouds go away. I think some of it's brought on when I'm not sure what I'm doing and I'm still deciding if I like myself... somedays it's not fun being me (or around me.) One thing I'm sure of is that my depression is nothing compared to what it was when I was drinking. If your depression continues you might want to check with your doctor just to be safe. Don't let it be an excuse to start drinking!

I have been working on my non-drinking self for awhile now and I started experimenting with letting myself be still/bored because I used that as an excuse to drink, and it's okay to be bored. I've had to learn how to work through lots of emotions/feelings because everything triggered my drinking. I used to reward myself for waking up and going to sleep at night.

Be patient with yourself and rememeber you are taking away a drug you've been using for years and it takes time and courage to do what you'r doing.

Hope that helps I gotta go back to being bored and self loathing -
          spacie

Comment

ONset of depression

To Spacie

I've just read your message Spacie and I can identify word for word exactly what you mean there.. Every emotion triggers off an urge... boredom is a trigger... rewarding myself for getting up... yep hearing ya...

Just thought I'd let you know that reading your message really added comfort to know how much alike other peoples experiences are

Comment

ONset of depression

Ditto! I like to drink because I'm bored. Having a buzz, makes me think I'm motivated, untill I've had several toomany and passout wake up feeling like shit. Having a buzz makes laundry just a little bit more interesting, or so I use to think.
              I think its depression that contributed to the start of my drinking career in the first place, that and I loved the way those first couple of drinks felt. You might try and sit with the depression and see what it does, or just go get some meds - that shouldn't hurt you and you may be less likely to start drinking again (hopefully anyway).

Peace and Love.....

She....

Comment

ONset of depression

Newbegin

Like D I am at the beginning of getting sober but have that niggling feeling of boredom and feel that a couple of glasses get the creative juices going - I also know that I can't stop there and end up a complete freak show and feel crap the next day.

I think that it is important to fill the gap that stopping drinking leaves - all that time wasted drinking and know we can't think how to fill it.

Do a course, evening class, join a gym, start a book club, go power walking, see a good film, read up on a subject you always wanted, learn a new language, do a cookery course, go for a long drive, go swimmin, kayaking, bungee jumping , trampolining, jogging, to a restaurant you've never been, go clubbing, do dance lessons,do a degree, have sex with a stranger or become a trappist monk!!!

Anything as long as it doesn't involve drinking and it absorbs you!!!

Love S

Comment

ONset of depression

Newbegin:
                  I have really been struggling with horribly sad feelings for the past few weeks. I have been trying to moderate since the begining of February (successfully) and it's as if I now realize why I started to drink heavily in the first place. I hate my life, Geez, what a bore I am. Seriously, I love my kids but the rest of it is shit. I know I need to see a doc before I decide that drinking is the answer. This probably doesn't help you at all, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
                  Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

ONset of depression

Diditforme,Newbegin

A lot of people (me included) self medicate with alcohol as temporary relief from depression but suffer worse the next day.

I find that I get that sad, depressed whats the point of not drinking its not worth all the effort days when even when the sun is out it is grey.

I do take 5 htp which helps make serotonin the feel good chemicals in our body which depressed people have less receptors for.

You can get this from health food shops - it says take 1 - I take 3 (think they are 500mg each - bottle is downstairs) they really work.

Hope this helps - also exercise releases endorphins to help us feel better - even if it is a brisk walk

Love S

Comment

ONset of depression

omigoodness.
                      I have just read so many messages that could have been posted by me. The boredom, the pointless feelings, just everything. But am trying to fight it, and thank youn to everyone who feels the same, and is strong enough to say it
                      Pipsqueak

Comment

ONset of depression

I am just joining today, and am on Day 17 AF, but I have been lurking for awhile....Pipsqueak, I feel the exact same thing, I could have wrote all of that! Especially as the weather is getting nicer, I just want to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine. LOL at drinking makes laundry just a little bit more interesting. From the 1st drink until I get past buzzed, I get so much done. Of course once I'm past buzzed, I'm pretty much useless. But I definitely feel the boredom from the time I get off work until bedtime. Those were my drinking hours!

Gita
                        "Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced"

:new:

Comment

ONset of depression

New Begin,

First off, congratulations on 6 months AF. That's wonderful. Hang in there through the depression. I'm on the climb up from depression, and although I don't have a lot of energy, I do recognise that I am feeling better. I only been able to string four AF days together so far, but I have cut back significantly from my days before MYO. I know that I do not want that feeling of dread when I wake up in the night after drinking. I don't want the guilt, embarrassment, shame, etc...It is very hard to know how to fill up time that used to be spent drinking, but it can be done. A friend told me it takes six weeks to make something a habit. So this time you don't have to try to break a habit. Instead you can make a habit...Everyone here has offered so many suggestions of how to occupy your time. Give it some thought...I'm in that thinking stage, too--What to do? You've come so far. Stick with it. Find a healthy way to feel content. You can do it!!!!!!

Julie

Comment

ONset of depression

Hi, I am a brand new member--today! I have sufferedfrom depression for years, and thought that alcohol made me feel hppy--WRONG. I could use somepointers for my first zero drink day--thanks! Soloman

Comment

ONset of depression

Soloman,

My biggest suggestion is don't have alcohol in the house and avoid going place where there is alcohol for a few days at least. It't too easy to be weak in those first days. I have had many first days. Also, dialogue with yourself constantly as to why you want alcohol out of your life. A lot of people here journal so that they can keep track of the positive feelings they have when they are successful at abstaining or moderating. And look forward to those mornings when you don't wake up anxious and guilt-ridden. I love not having all of that horrible stuff looming over me. You will get tremendous support here. Log on often. Good luck.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X