Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? re cycling

Hi all,

Thanks to the motivation from here I am gradually getting into cycling as part of a training program rather than just to potter around locally - love it - and am starting to feel great - those endorphines are really beginning to kick in which is brilliant!. However, I find I'm either freezing going down the hills (or at any reasonable speed) or through the shade, or really hot when going up the hills or in the sun - so silly question, but does it pay to get proper cycling clothes (being in Europe they're pretty costly) -or any ideas on what to wear to solve the problem - or do i just learn to live with it??

Actually, just thought of another question: Not liking to do things by half measures I started a training program of gym one day, running next, gym next, cycling next etc. so was doing soemthing every day. I've only done this for three weeks so nothing too set in stone yet, but last week i was not able to do anything for 2 days - the third day I started again and found I had so much more energy and did much better then doing it each day - any ideas on whether it's better to do little and often, or more but less regularly?

Any thoughts appreciated

Hope you're all doing great and feeling the benefit from whatever acitivities/sport you do! All the best and enjoy your weekends!
    :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
    Goals:
    Days 1-7 DONE
    Days 8-14 DONE
    Days 15-21 DONE
    30 days DONE
    60 days
    100 days

? re cycling

Calling AAthelete....our resident cycling clyclone....... (visualize the batsignal shining into the sky with an image of a sprocket instead of a bat).
    sorry, I think it's the meds.

I too love to cycle but don't take it super seriously. I love to mountain bike for the most part, but do have a road bike I need to get to the shop for repair AND a tandem bike for DX and I to use when we are feeling really brave
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

? re cycling

Hi D - whatever you're on I want some too :H

Tandem sounds like fun - what does it take for the two of you to feel 'brave' enough to use it? - can't be the 'dutch courage' of old:thumbs:

I haven't decided yet where the cycling's going to lead - mountains or road/track - once I get to a good enough level to try them out properly I'll see which has the greatest 'pull' - early days yet, though, so just got to keep any pedals going round fo rthe moment!

Hugs to Dx too -

Goals:
      Days 1-7 DONE
      Days 8-14 DONE
      Days 15-21 DONE
      30 days DONE
      60 days
      100 days

Comment

? re cycling

D,
        My thoughts exactly.

Comment

? re cycling

AA must be not feeling well today if he is not on here espousing his love of cycling!!! Yoo Hoo, oh AA?????
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

? re cycling

I bet he's out doing some "crank" ha!
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

? re cycling

OK AA - looks like you've been nominated 'in absentia' - talk about delegation!

Goals:
              Days 1-7 DONE
              Days 8-14 DONE
              Days 15-21 DONE
              30 days DONE
              60 days
              100 days

Comment

? re cycling

I will hunt him down for you. He must not have seen this thread.....
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

? re cycling

Ariel, the tandem is great fun but the brakes don't work too well and it won't shift gears so it's a mechanical disaster that rolls! Combine that with DX and I not being pro cyclers (putting it mildly) and you've got a prime candidate for America's Funnies Home Video TV show. I really should get it repaired. and that's a definate NO on the bottled courage before a bike ride....I'm dangerous enough! I did try to ride my bike drunk some time ago...lets just not talk about that
                  nosce te ipsum
                  (Know Thyself)

Comment

? re cycling

Alright already - I'm here!!

Arial - glad to see that you have taken up the great sport of cycling! In terms of temp, I would look at investing in a quality wind-proof jacket. Sounds like your no so much looking at keeping the heat in, but keeping the cold out and that jacket should do it for you (you could also use it for running). Yes, they can be a little pricey - but will last you forever (I've had mine for four years) and wil make a HUGE difference.

Another option would be arm and leg warmers which are easy to get on and off (just for reference: Velowear.com: Category.

Sounds like the training is going well. I would expect you to feel better after taking a coupe of days off - your still adjusting to your new training schedule and when you take a day or two off your giving you body a chance to recover and heal. I would plan on taking at least a day or two off each week for recovery.

Happy riding - are you a roadie or mountain biker?
                    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

? re cycling

Hi AA - finally! glad you checked in - must have been all those cycer-vibes (thanks everyone )

At the moment I ride a VTT (Velo Tout Terrain - basically a bike for all terrains) but stick to the road or not too rough tracks. I would love to head towards mountain biking, though, as it's fabulous country round here with plenty of trails - I would probably need to join a club - but as my stamina levels are so pathetic at the moment I wouldn't dare to show my face at any French cycling clubs! I'll have to start looking into the options as I've found that I work better if I have a goal - keeps the motivation - I've even considered looking at trying a half marathon - there's the highest half marathon in Europe run in the Alps in June - certainly wouldn't make it this year but maybe next?! The problem I have with running is the boredom - I've found music really helps at the moment and maybe you get to a point where you can enjoy the scenary/being outdoors rather than doing it just to get fit?? Had a fabulous run yesterday (everything's starting to get that little easier and less painful) when it just felt so good to be outside, weather warmish but still fresh, and just so good to be alive - those endorphine things are certainly powerful! Felt like running, jumping, singing, dancing - the good old British reserve kept the lid on things though and kept to a nice steady plod...

Talking of goals - what's your training schedule like for your cycling feat coming up? - Now that is a goal and a half!

Anyway, thanks for your input - the next question will be keeping cool in the summer though I suppose that's just hydration and shorts/t-shirt?

Happy cycling to one and all and enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Determinator - the image you paint of you and the tandem is fantastic - I was laughing without seeing the video - thanks for the chuckle on this windy Sunday

Goals:
                      Days 1-7 DONE
                      Days 8-14 DONE
                      Days 15-21 DONE
                      30 days DONE
                      60 days
                      100 days

Comment

? re cycling

Arial, that sounds like an incredible race!! To me, doing anything outside is better than going to the gym - although I force myself to lift weights twice a week. I used to be an avid runner but knee issues have cut that down (the 1/2 marathon used to be my favorite race).

In terms of staying cool, just make sure you stay away from cotton (at the MOST you would want a 50/50 blend). You want clothing that will wick away the sweat, not absorb it - and yes hydration is also a big part of it.

My training is going well - I use Joe Friel's 'Training Bible' to figure out what I should be doing. Spending my time now just building my base - it's just great to get back outside again!

Happy training...
                        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

? re cycling

You guys make it sound so great to be in the big outdoors. Around here, however, farmland, dairy cows, and BUGS! I hate bugs. They get in my face everytime I ride. My eyes, my teeth, and in my helmet. OY, I am heading back to the gym.
                          Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

Working...
                          X