THE MIDDLE WAY: On The Cushion 1:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, well, back from the weekend retreat, beautifully refreshed and calm.
    I've decided to call my meditation threads On the Cushion, as that's where we usually meditate. Except for walking meditation..... which I'll write about in a couple of days.

I would like to share with you one of the meditations we did over the weekend. with a bit of introductory stuff at the beginning: Please, please don't get discouraged when your mind wanders. It will. Everypne's does. When you notice you are thinking about something, just ever so gently drop it and gently bring yourself back to the breath. Over and over again. Don't get frustrated or angry. Be patient.
    You won't pick it up in just a couple of sittings.

In this thread I will give you two meditations- but first, set yourself up.
    Sartori gave some pointers in the last thread.
    I have shot knees so can?t sit for too long.
    If you need to change position, do so.
    I also close my eyes as my mind is so much of a sticky beak!!

There?s only so much time in a day and your meditation minutes are precious, so it is best not to waste them.

Although you can meditate anywhere, when you start off make sure you are in a place where you feel secure, and that there?ll be no interruptions. Take the phone off the hook, turn your mobile off, let others know this is ?your? time.
    Perhaps a special place in the garden, or your bedroom. The computer room or a ?busy?
    room is not such a good idea.

At the heart of meditation is concentration and enquiry. When you cultivate these two qualities you develop your ability to be quiet, relaxed and clear and to offer understanding and compassion.

Remember you are not trying to escape into some sort of rarified state ? you need to be alert and present in yourself ? this will settle you down.
    Meditation is not a competition. There?s no timetable. There?s no need to rush. Let your meditation be a holiday. Be gentle and patient with yourself.
    If you become distracted, notice it and return to the meditation.

As you settle yourself and close your eyes, before you start meditation you may like to say to yourself and quietly contemplate for a few moments these words.
    ?I am about to tread the very same path that has been walked by the Buddha and his disciples.?

This is a short 30 minute meditation we did this weekend.
    If you are just starting out, try it for 15 minutes. OK Here we go:

Make sure you are comfortable.
    In the spirit of dana(giving), give yourself time for this - for your own well being and the well being of all sentient beings.
    Call to mind anything that has been disturbing you for the last few days in body heart or mind, then let them go, let them fall away just for this time. You can pick them up later.

Enter into an awareness of your body, from your feet to your head?.. feeling the weight of your body on the chair or cushion, your feet on the floor, the clothing touching the body.
    The warmth or coolness of your skin.
    Slowly let this awareness flow through your body.
    Then be aware of the breath.
    Experience your body in just this moment.
    Recognising that in this moment, just the breath is enough.
    Recognise your awareness.
    Be aware that you are aware.
    Relax into that awareness of your body, of your breath.
    Be aware of what arises, flows in, then flows away again.

Using the words of the Buddha:
    ?Breathing in, calming the body.
    Breathing out, calming the body.
    Breathing in, calming the heart and mind.
    Breathing out, calming the heart and mind.?

Allow the body to settle.
    Allow the breath to find it?s own level.
    Allow the heart and mind to settle.

Keep just this awareness of body and breath.
    Allow heart and mind to come into ease, calm.

Second Meditation:
    Breathing Meditation.

Again if you are starting out, do it for 15 minutes or so, thenover a period of weeks or months, build it up to 30 or 40 minutes.

Why breathing?
    You can do it anywhere.
    It can be experienced without the need for thought.
    It is a living process and moves in cycles.......... inhalation, slight pause, exhalation.

Your attention should be on your breathing. What is likely to happen is at about breath 3, you'll hear something or a thought will pop into your head. When this happens, remind yourself that you are concentrating on breathing, and return again and again. Just gently without getting upset, return to the sensation of the breath.
    The breath becomes our reference point from which the mind wanders, and to which the mind is drawn back.

Don't try to regulate or control your breathing, or to breathe deeper. Breathe naturally.
    OK. Here we go:

Sitting comfortably. Back straight. Relaxed. Eyes gently closed.
    Take a few moments to put aside anything that has been troubling you the last few days, or the last few weeks.

Take a feww deep breaths, then let the breath flow naturally.
    Rest your attention on the rythm of your breathing.
    Feel the breath as it passes through your nostrils. You may wish to make this the focus point to which you return.

Feel the rythm. Be aware of how your body moves with each breath.
    Your chest rising and falling. Your abdomen rising and falling.
    The brush of your clothes against your body.
    If you become distracted, just gently bring your attention back to your breath.

As your mind becomes quiet, look more deeply at your breathing.
    Feel the breath entering the nostrils. Relax................. calm........

Consider that trees and plants create the air you breathe................

Consider that every other human, every other animal is breathing the same air.......

Focus on that connection for a minute.......................

Now, return again to your breathing, focus on your breathing.

Just concentrate on each breath.

Mindfullness of breathing is present moment awareness.
    You are aware only of this breath that is happening in the present moment.

Calm and relaxed I breathe in.........
    Calm and relaxed I breathe out..........

Be at one with your breathing, be at one with the world.

When you are ready, open your eyes, relax and stretch.
    When you become totally aware of one single inhalation, you are on your way to a whole new experience of life. (I almost managed it a few times).

The next meditation is universally the most well loved of all meditations. It is a meditation on Loving -kindness, or metta. I'll put it up when I return next week. These two meditations really are plenty to get started with .

Finally, remember that meditation is not an end in itself. It uis a method to help you achieve an end. And the end is ???

Hope these are of benefit to you.
    The merit I receifve from this I share with all sentient beings.
    Rags.

Rags, that has helped so much... It really is that simple.. Lately I have read so many articles and books on meditation and buddhism my head was whirling with information, some recommend this and others recommend that, it was getting so confusing...

When I first started to meditate last year it was clear and simple, but I allowed myself to be sidetracked, now thankfully I am back at the begining and ready to try again, one step at a time....
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Hi Irish,
      Meditation is indeed simple. But not always easy!.
      Yep, I mentioned in a previous post that there's lots of misleading information out there, and if you're new to something, you can be unwittingly and easily misguided.
      I suggest that for a couple of weeks just stick to the second breathing meditation till you are comfortable with it and with yourself doing it. Then try the other one above it.
      You must be patient and give yourself time. You'll achieve nothing by flitting from one thing to another trying for the quick fix. It just won't happen, and you'll end up disappointed and frustrated, and giving up. So, pamper yourself, and enjoy the journey. Just stay with these for a while and you'll be on the middle pathway. And just keep returning to the anchor of the breath. Time after time after time.
      Fran.

Comment

Ok, have decided to set aside some time each morning for meditation, start slowly and gradually build it up... I did that before but just let it slip away, not this time....
        A F F L..
        Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

That's great. Like I said earlier, , enjoy these times that you spend with yourself.

I'll check in ten days or so when I get back. I am working on have some terrific goodies to post for when I gat back.

Comment

Working...
          X