THE MIDDLE WAY: OnThe Cushion: 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These will be the last basic meditations I'll put up for a while. Enjoy!

Take as long as you want with these meditations, but again, if you?re just starting out, I suggest 15 minutes or so, and give yourself time to relax into how it feels before extending the time.

WATER MEDITATION
    Sit by water. A lake, a stream, the beach, a fish tank.

After you settle yourself, take a few moments to put aside anything that has been troubling you over the past few days.

Give this time for yourself.

Count your breaths as if they were waves.

In breath ?????.. One

Out breath ????.. Two

In breath ?????? Three

Out breath ????? Four.

Do this up to the count of ten

Let the regular wavelike motion of the breath wash away all your cares.

Gently float on the breath of the present moment.

Let the water meditate for you.

Flow with it.

Breathing in I am calm????? breathing out I am calm?..

Enjoying the present moment?????..

concentrating just on the present moment?.. my breathing,
    the brush of the wind on my face. The feel of my clothing against my skin.

Just concentrating on my breathing in tune with the
    movement of the water.

SLOW WALKING MEDITATION:

I love this meditation as I am physically doing something, but it is taking my whole attention.

Choose an area about 18 ? 20 steps long.
    You will be slowly, very slowly walking up and down this area.
    I once watched a reverend take about 15 minutes to take 20 steps doing this meditation.
    And my meditation was ??. Quietly, calmly watching her.

You will be concentrating on the sensation of walking, so do not gaze around at the scenery etc., you are experiencing what is happening when you walk.

Ready to start.
    Just standing relaxed and still. Take a few breaths to settle yourself. Give yourself a gentle smile.
    Looking at about 45 degree ahead and downwards, ever so slowly start to take a step forward on the left foot.

Feel the weight shift along your right foot as you prepare to take the first step. Feel the weight of your left leg as it brushes past the right leg as it moves slowly forward.

Feel the sensation as your right heel touches the ground and starts to take the weight of your body?.. then the sole of your foot as it touches the ground and takes the weight of your body.

Notice how your body sways slightly to the side to keep balanced.
    Feel the muscles in your thigh, calf, ankle as they balance your body and take your weight.

What does the surface of the ground feel like? If you walk barefoot, feel the texture of the grass, floor, carpet.
    Feel the way your foot balances itself on an uneven surface.

Feel the brush of your clothes against your legs. Note the feel of your skin.

Experience the way your arms hang relaxed beside you.
    Breathing in I am relaxed. Breathing out I am relaxed.

Notice how beautifully co-ordinated your body moves, without effort, one slow relaxed step after another.

When you get to the end, pause for a breath or two, then slowly turn round and start again.
    Walking mindfully, walking calmly. Concentrating on the sensation of walking. Relaxed, smiling, calm.

If your mind wanders, just bring yourself back to the breath, back to concentrating on walking, the mindfulness of walking.

I will leave you with these to try out along with the others from yesterday.
    When I get back I?ll show you the most universally loved meditation in the universe.
    And I?ll pop up a couple of threads with explanations and translations of some of the terms you?ll come across in Buddhism. It isn?t as mystic as we allow ourselves to think!

Let me know if you would like me to continue with these threads. I intend to post some Buddhist philosophy and teachings of the Buddha in the next few weeks if there's enough interest.
    Rags.

Fran, thanks so much for the information (I already created myself a master doc containing your posts), and I look forward to reading any additional info that you have!
    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Rags, Once again you have excelled yourself.. That was so helpful, like AAthlete, I have a special folder for these posts, and yes, please continue, I am so looking forward to the next one..

Love, louise xx
      A F F L..
      Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Thanks Fran.

Comment

Working...
        X