January Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January Mod Squad

For last year's words belong to last year's language and next year's words await another voice. - T.S. Eliot

Happy New Year to all! I love new beginnings. Let's share some quotes for the New year if anyone is inclined to do so to help get us revved up for an awesome journey into moderating as desired or abstaining if that is the goal.

:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

January Mod Squad

The best is yet to be... Robert Browning

Happy New Year to all!

Eve, thanks so much for starting things out with such a colorful picture, and a great idea!

Hope everyone is well and happy...I am enjoying being back in warm and sunny Florida, and will confess that a part of me is hoping for a less eventful year for me and mine than 2012 was...

And, wishing increased good health to all of us here during the coming months! FFp
    . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hi, everyone!

No motivational quotes here but I do hope everyone achieve their goals this year!!!!

Happy new year!

I'm starting the drink tracker again..
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

January Mod Squad

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

January Mod Squad

“What I need is someone who will make me do what I can.”
          ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks, Eve for starting the thread. Hi FF, Ally!
          Note to self: Stand and deliver! :bat

Comment

January Mod Squad

Strong is what happens when you run out of weak.
            Sometimes, you have to hit rock-bottom to gain the strength to make a change. If you hit that moment, don't despair--it's just the beginning of a better life! Take one more step toward changing your health for the better by tracking your food and exercise.

I just went on a google mission to find a quote. Liked and related to the quote and clicked on the link for more. How appropriate.

May 2013 bring out the best in us all!

Edit: of course with the substitution or addition of alcohol being tracked!
            Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hi, All, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I've been absent for quite some time, but can say that we FINALLY closed on the sale of the condo before Christmas, and closed on the house and moved on 12/31. The boys are doing well, though the move has set them back a bit, as they're not sleeping as well as they were and the little guy has a bit of a cold.

The whole moving thing put a huge stress on my relationship with my wife, especially since we were supposed to close on the house 12/28 and move over five days rather than two. I found myself continuing to moderate, but did drink more than I had hoped through the holidays, and have decided that January will be AF. So this is day 3 (I had a glass of wine on Jan 1 after the last of the move) for me. Back to the L-Glut, Kudzu EPO and Milk Thistle, and need to find the box I put my meditation cd's in!

Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't gone back and caught up with the Dec thread, and don't see LG or V posting in this thread. Although I can't say I'll post multiple posts a day, or even every day, I will check this thread regularly and hope to hear from all my friends. (Yes, that's an indirect request for my lurking friends to check in and post!)

Ok, here's my quote for y'all. It's taken from an ancient Chinese proverb:

"Failure lies not in falling down. Failure lies in not getting up."

Or another version:

"Get knocked down 7 times, stand up 8."

D
              Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
              When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

January Mod Squad

Hi all,

D, glad the move is over although so stressful as I recall. I haven't moved in 15 years and am quite happy to stay put for a while although our house is much too big for two people so when the boys move out we may need to consider downsizing or taking in some foster kids!

Hi to all that have had a chance to post. Yes, we do start to miss some of the regulars when we don't hear from them for awhile but life does get busy as we all know. I found this quote today and really like it for the new year...so here it is:

You must have long range goals to keep you from being frustrated by short range failures.

—Charles Noble

Hugs to all,
                Eve11

Comment

January Mod Squad

Wanted to add a little humor to our New Year Thread. Here's to taking a look at the flip side of New Year's Resolutions. Very funny!

THE FLIP SIDE - RESOLUTIONS | Watch the video - Yahoo! Screen

Eve11

Comment

January Mod Squad

Here's a quote from "Blades of Glory". It's not exactly motivational, but I find it funny. :H

Jimmy: "I don't even know what that means." Chazz: "No one knows what it means, but it is provocative."

To all my way out friends, haha pun intended, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :day5:

I'm not drinking tonight, haven't drank since Tuesday when I had one beer at our family gathering...had one drink on NYE too. Still moderating my way.

Missed you, mean it!!!:l

"I like people too much or not at all."
                    Sylvia Plath

Comment

January Mod Squad

Eve, love new beginnings too! Am so glad it's January!! We went back to MN for the holidays. Drove. What a waste of 6 days.(the drive part) Being there was fine except for fact that we both had bad colds. Could not play with grandkids like we wanted for fear of getting them sick plus zero energy what with all the coughing. But, alas, a new year and on to better health!

FF: welcome back to FL! I still cannot go out for a walk without getting teary eyed as in appreciating the warmth and beauty surrounding us. Know it sounds sappy, but I just can't handle the gray, drab, cold dreariness of the north any longer. The sun never shone while driving from MN all the way down south and east and not until we crossed the FL stateline.

Hi to everyone else and Happy New Year!

I like Flylady's new quote: Your words can be KIND or MEAN, the choice is yours in 2013.

TMH
                      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

January Mod Squad

hi all -
                        thanks so much for the quotes. i seem to be too lazy to take my sups and then everything goes haywire. so no, having more than i should/want.
                        i really like the quote about long range goals, although i like them all.
                        dave, moving is just so stressful. last time i moved, i thought i don't want to do this again for decades!
                        anyways, good to see so many of you back here, checking in, and i am glad all your quotes are about starting over, etc, not about being perfect and making me feel bad.
                        dave, by the way, what is the kudzu epo? what does the epo mean?
                        TMH, i am glad you are liking florida. it sounds like it really has become your home. all i can do up here is blast the heat!
                        well, wouldn't you know, today i am going to look at a gym, see how cheap i can get membership!
                        have a great sunday all!
                        L

Comment

January Mod Squad

Invest in yourself.
                          It will pay you for the rest of your life.

Went to a potluck dinner last night that our church does called "Guess who's coming for dinner?" One couple hosts and then 3 or 4 couples are invited to bring side dishes. One lady there is someone who drinks w-a-y too much and has an unbelievably high tolerance as alcoholism has her by the throat. We had an interesting conversation when she started to talk about drinking too much because she likes the taste of it too much. I started to share about mixing up fun non-al drinks but she countered by saying nothing tasted as good as vodka. I didn't even know vodka had a taste to it!

Anyway, it was interesting to see her finally admit she has a problem with AL but she was no where ready to try to substitute non-al drinks in it's place because she believes they won't taste as good.

Anyone with thoughts regarding this and changes you made to try to drink non-al drinks rather than al? For me, it helps to start drinking later at an event so it helps to start with a non-al drink first or first and second and then have a drink toward the end of the evening. I guess I find that I am like her in the fact that I really like the taste of what I like (sauv. blanc) and once I have a glass I always want a 2nd and then have to fight hard not to have a 3rd and for me God forbid a 4th as that's over the top for me and hangover city the next day.

Eve11

Comment

January Mod Squad

I don't attend many social events, Eve, lol. My family events usually don't involve alcohol, or if they do, no one drinks more than a glass or two. I wouldn't dare drink more than that in front of them. At home which is my place of choice to drink, I've found that coffee with good cream is very satisfying in lieu of alcohol, or instead of AL. It has helped me from the beginning.

Hope everyone is doing well. What happened to Vlivengood? The few times I've been back, I've not seen any posts from her.

"I like people too much or not at all."
                            Sylvia Plath

Comment

January Mod Squad

"What if today, we were just grateful for everything?"

Hello everyone. I haven't stopped by here for awhile. Great to see you all. :h I just am not good at limiting my drinking. If I have that first glass then I am already thinking about the next. I do think that I'm better off AF. It just takes all of that tension about moderating out of the picture. My goal is to be AF this year. I know that is a big step but I am going to work towards that.
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                              X