'Rachel's Holiday' Marion Keyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only is it a seriously funny read (got to love the Irish wit) but is one womans journey through denial and rehab and a seriously dysfunctional family.

After reading some reviews of the book 'Dry', here last week, I picked up a copy second hand from ebay. I've almost finished it and my god, it is such a great account but also hysterically funny!

Both books are a great read!

Doo
    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Dry is my all time fave book. Glad you are enjoying it. I howled with laughter.

I have had Rachel's Holiday sitting next to my bed forever. I really need to give it a read. Thanks for the reminder.
    I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

I'm going to look for them both - ebay, here I come!!!
      :rolleyesmonkey: Tahlula :rolleyesmonkey:
      Trim the tree to let in the sunshine...

Comment

Rachel's Holiday is a wonderful book.

I remember reading an interview by Marian Keyes where she had been so upset that some fool had dismissed it as "forgettable froth."

A novel about drug addiction? Clearly they'd never even read it.

I found lots to relate to (as you probably know Keyes is an ex-drinker herself)... she is a force of nature.

Love
        Gem x
        Free since 26th February 2012

Comment

Rachel's Holiday is a laugh out loud (in a sad way for us) look at rehab and addiction, Marion Keyes is hysterical in everything I have read of hers so far. She is an alcoholic, been dry for around ten years I believe, I remember a line she wrote somewhere which I totally relate to about the 'total consuming compulsion that overcomes you when passing an off licence to get in there and buy alcohol'. Haven't read Dry yet but am looking on ebay for a copy.

Lorna
          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I love Rachels Holiday - especially the bit where she ends up with the empty valium bottle in her knickers.........reminds me of trying to dispose of an empty vodak bottle in the bin on the walk to the bus - totally forgot about it & only remembered on the train into work - anyone who lives/works in London will sympathise how HARD it is to locate a bin of any sorts - panic setting in should security in my building would do a "random" check of peoples bags that day !

A good book though !
            xx

Comment

I didn't know that Keyes was an ex-drinker.

I've read about 5 of her books She's so punchy! I'm half way through 'Sushi for Beginners' which is one of her earlier books, and you can really see how she's become more confident with her writing style, the more books she has published.

Comment

Hi Doodoo,

If you can locate a copy of her collected articles, it is called "Postcards from the Bed".... (called so because that's how she writes her novels - from a laptop, sitting in bed, eating bananas!)...

There is a wonderful story in there called, "The Pissed Is Another Country." This is a brief tale of her own personal struggle with alcohol.

She even talks about the St Patrick's Day where she was ready to go out with her friends - then suddenly decided that it would be much better to stay home by herself... because then she could drink as much as she wanted without anyone noticing.

Once I'd read that, I saw with a new light the tales of alcohol in the other books (think the alcoholic father in Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married).

She knows what it's like to be one of us!

Gem x

Comment

Gem, damn, I'm spending more on books these days than I did on weekly wine! lol

I think I'd better look it up and order it. Thanks!

And to think of how sharp her mind is, it's nice to know she got herself out of it. Good role model without a doubt! I've noticed how there is always a lot of alcohol mentioned in her novels. And I can't help wondering which sister she is... most likely not Helen. lol

Doo

Comment

DooDoo;110521 wrote: Gem, damn, I'm spending more on books these days than I did on weekly wine! lol

I think I'd better look it up and order it. Thanks!

And to think of how sharp her mind is, it's nice to know she got herself out of it. Good role model without a doubt! I've noticed how there is always a lot of alcohol mentioned in her novels. And I can't help wondering which sister she is... most likely not Helen. lol

Doo
                    LOL Doo!

I'm of the mind she's Rachel... seeing as Rachel snagged herself the lovely Luke of the loveable thighs...

Comment

Another good one of Marion's is 'Angels' where her sister breaks up from her hubby and spends days in bed with bottles of voddy - great stuff. Great light reading for when you just want a chuckle. Just ordered some of the above mentioned books from ebay, will let you know how I get on with them.

Lorna
                      Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Rachel's Holiday and Dry

I wrote to Marian Keyes after reading Rachel's Holiday in a whole week-end. I told her that it was so inspiring and funny. A few months later a beautifully hand written note arrived on my doormat. She had actually written back to me that she was glad of my comments. I still have and will treasure it. I also keep a copy of Rachel's Holiday near me - I never lend it to anyone.

Dry too is so funny - what a guy - its warts and all!

Helen

Comment

Wow Helen,

How wonderful! A hand-written note! What a sweetheart she is.

Aren't we lucky that a recovered (or recovering) drinker has been so successful and is such a role model for us.

I re-read 'Is Anybody Out There" on the weekend... I gave away all my Keyes books but I think I should have kept Rachel's Holiday!

Gem

Comment

Girls, thank you for the recommendation of 'postcards from the Bed'. I'm half way through and loving it! I jumped ahead to her own battle with the bottle and WOW! It was so good to read. I ooze respect for Marian Keyes.

Scoobs

Comment

You guys got me getting Rachel's holiday and reading it....

What that book 'Dry' about?

Otie

Comment

Working...
                              X