The Nature of Personal Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These ideas come, directly, from the book titled, "The Nature of Personal Reality", by Jane Roberts. This series of books is also known as The Seth Books.

I am quoting parts of the book that have been especially pertinent to me. I do suggest that anyone who is drawn to these beliefs seek out the Seth Books, since we all interpret any texts in our own way, knowing what is most helpful to us.

"If you belive that a given situation will make you unhappy, then it will, and the unhappiness will then reinforce the condition.

If you believe, moreover, that you must accept your difficulties, then this belief alone can deter you from solving them...If you accept the idea that the reasons for your behaviour are forever buried in the past of this life... then you will not be able to alter your experience until you change that belief.

The realisation that you form your own belief should be a liberating one... you can change those areas of your life in which you are less than pleased, but you must take responsibility for your being.

If you see a world that it is good, people that like you, then take it for granted that your beliefs are beneficial. But if you find poor health, a lack of meaningful work, a lack of abundance, a world of sorrow and evil, then assume that your beliefs are faulty and start examining them."

I don't know about everyone else - but I know about me. I don't see a great world. I'm not talking about the ridiculous wars - that's a given. I'm talking about the lack of compassionate human behaviour on a day-to-day basis.

So this framework is telling me that I'M wrong. I'M seeing the bad instead of the good. I'M seeing the idiot that pushes into the bus queue, rather than the guy that gets up to give the pregnant woman a seat.

It's sounds trite - but you know what? All the of the above happen all the time. This is about focusing on the good and the bad. It doesn't mean you should let someone ignore a pregnant woman for a seat - no, bawl the guy out and let her sit down! - what it means it that when good things happen, you will start to see them and appreciate them.

For all of those who are focused these days on looking for the meaning in life, it can be tough. We get really upset about the selfishness of others and getting stepped on. WE feel stepped on. We're the good guys who don't get recognition.

What you don't realise is that it is exactly that attitude of "I did this, so I should get this", that actually STOPS us from getting our dues. How to combat this?

Well, at the risk of getting New Agey, things are starting to change. A lot. The best thing you can possibly do in this world is to look out for you, your family, your friends, and everyone else. In that order.

But you first. See, when you push past someone, or you make someone else feel small and unimportant, a little bit of you dies. I'm talking to the wrong audience here - since I know that anyone on MYO probably loves a whole lot of people a whole lot more than they love themselves.

In fact, we're so used to looking after others first that it even feels wrong to put ourselves first. Yes, I know this seems contradictory with the example of the pregnant woman on the bus, but it's all relative.

My point is - as alcohol dependents, and I use the term loosely, we often feel as if we have no boundaries at all. We actually feel as if we have upset so many people so many times that we are in a constant state of apologising. Because we are "the worst."

No, we're not. In fact, we are often a lot more aware of our emotions than the general population. We're more used to being sorry, and more used to evaluating our behaviour.

I could go on, but this is long enough! I have so much more to say on this book, and the thoughts that it generated for me, but I don't have the wish to give anyone eyestrain!

Love
    Gemx
    Free since 26th February 2012

Hi Gem, Yes that makes sense to me... For a while now I have been in the process of changing certain areas of my life... One of the things I have learnt
    is how to be tolerant of others weakness......
    A F F L..
    Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

Gem, good post - and you're right. It's only through acceptance and understanding of ourselves and others that we can truly grow beyond what we currently are.
      Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Working...
      X